AstrORKnomicon -- Or, How to Attract Orks and Kill Them

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

I know the Orks don't navigate the warp with a particular destination in mind, but is there a way to broadcast something so that they'll generally head in that direction?

My hope was to draw the Orks of Undred-Undred Teef into some prepared Fortress Worlds. Eventually. It's a long-term plan, for completely humanitarian reasons. Stop laughing.

Some possible "magnets":

1) Orky Relics - Some Ork weirdboyz artifacts perhaps. 

2) Rumours, Threats, Brags - "Hah you stupid Orks will never be able to take [fortress world]! It's guarding this treasure!"

I want to set up a release valve for the Orks, delay the WAAAGH! for as long as possible. Or attract Ork fleets heading there to this area instead. 

Has anyone tried anything similar? 

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

Into the Strom - Venture into the secrets of the Strom Dynasty! 

#2 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

I know the Orks don't navigate the warp with a particular destination in mind, but is there a way to broadcast something so that they'll generally head in that direction?

My hope was to draw the Orks of Undred-Undred Teef into some prepared Fortress Worlds. Eventually. It's a long-term plan, for completely humanitarian reasons. Stop laughing.

Some possible "magnets":

1) Orky Relics - Some Ork weirdboyz artifacts perhaps. 

2) Rumours, Threats, Brags - "Hah you stupid Orks will never be able to take [fortress world]! It's guarding this treasure!"

I want to set up a release valve for the Orks, delay the WAAAGH! for as long as possible. Or attract Ork fleets heading there to this area instead. 

Has anyone tried anything similar? 

That.... that.....  is actually a superb idea!   Though I have no idea how it would work.  :huh:   The wide spreading of "Rumours" would be my best guess though. 

And bragging.  You can never go wrong with bragging.  :D

• Marwynn likes this

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#3 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

I had been thinking of "discovering" a relic of some kind, possibly Drusian, in the Phaineal Echoes. The warp shoals should make traveling to the area very dangerous for the Orks, so most of them heading there may not actually get there. That is, if they could steer. The fluff's inconsistent with that, in many cases they seem able to set a rough destination.

The Drusian relic would also attract recruits (aka pilgrims). It's a little cynical, but hey, they're doing the God-Emperor's work. A few more carefully chosen lies and this thing could be quite profitable (directly). It would at least be something to focus the Waaagh! on, though it may actually trigger the damn thing. 

The key would be trying to map the warp shoals for a suitable system, one that could be relatively self-sufficient. A system with grav tides and the like might be great, I don't think the Orks can handle those well. 

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

#4 WeedyGrot

WeedyGrot

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

I imagine the best way to do this would be to simply erect a massive signal station that beamed a challenge to the Ork worlds or perhaps to send thousands of messages to the Ork worlds in Warhammer 40,000's first ever spam campaign.

Actually one of the best plans might be to simply have a rogue trader hire a bunch of Orks, kit them out with the best gear they can. Take them to heaps of fights (all the while telling the Orks that they're fighting where you want the other Orks to go) abd then just let them return home with their swag and war stories.

That said the plan itself is possibly something that you don't want to succeed on a large scale. Remember that Orks tend to be more successful at doing the impossible the more of them there are and they breed using spores so even if every ship is shot down there is a chance some of the wreckage will spread viable spores onto the planets.

Why not use the same principle but instead attempt to lure them to an area that is chaos held or something like that? That way no matter who eventually wins the result is a good one.

Edited by WeedyGrot, 13 January 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#5 CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

Giant sign floating in space pointing to a planet that says "'Ard scrap 'ere!"

• Erathia and Roy Stone like this

#6 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Yeah this is pretty much it. If you build a Fortress World, Orks will come.I still think building a Fortress World is going to take centuries and bankrupt you, plus there's very little profit to be had in it since in order for it to "work" you have to literally transform the entire surface of a planet into garrisons and then keep them maintained with the best equipment and dozens of ships and space stations in complex orbits around your planet forever.

I really hope this is your Rogue Trader having the richest midlife crisis ever. That or he's really committed to the greatest succession crisis ever, and has started planning it long before it would be needed.

Ladies, Gentlemen, claimants all. My Warrant of Trade is somewhere on this planet. They have orders to murder anyone attempting to land. They have orders to murder anyone who does land. They have orders to murder anyone who cannot produce the randomly generated identification token on demand. They have been trained for centuries and hardened against the Orks, the Rak'Gol and the endless creditors who insisted I had to pay for these materials. Whomsoever finds and escapes with my Warrant of Trade shall claim my entire Dynasty, which consists entirely of this world.

Have fun.

• CaptainRemiVandigrath likes this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#7 Ruwalk

Ruwalk

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

now there's an idea. but an idea to make money with a fortress world is to repair everyone else's starship's  wont pay for the whole thing but its a dent in operating cost anyway.

#8 CaptainRemiVandigrath

CaptainRemiVandigrath

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

now there's an idea. but an idea to make money with a fortress world is to repair everyone else's starship's  wont pay for the whole thing but its a dent in operating cost anyway.

Repair ships, operate shrines for (very) wealthy pilgrims, offer archeotech found during explorations of surrounding systems to the Adeptus Mechanicus, and sell salvage rights to whatever idiot decides to attack you... That might actually work, though convincing a Cardinal or Lord of Terra to start a small crusade to clean up Winterscale's Realm would help a lot.

(Play Report)The Frozen Reaches: Tobias Caine turns an Ork Warboss into a Chair: http://community.fan...s-into-a-chair/

Worthy Allies and Adversaries: http://community.fan...nd-adversaries/

#9 Ruwalk

Ruwalk

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

well also to cut the cost and time to make it you could rebuild Naduesh plus all of the idea we can generate from this and bam money making fortress world, another way to earn some cash would be to use some of your pdf as mercenary's earn ,money and win small rights to more planets= unlimited potential profit    

#10 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Yeah this is pretty much it. If you build a Fortress World, Orks will come.I still think building a Fortress World is going to take centuries and bankrupt you, plus there's very little profit to be had in it since in order for it to "work" you have to literally transform the entire surface of a planet into garrisons and then keep them maintained with the best equipment and dozens of ships and space stations in complex orbits around your planet forever.

I really hope this is your Rogue Trader having the richest midlife crisis ever. That or he's really committed to the greatest succession crisis ever, and has started planning it long before it would be needed.

Ladies, Gentlemen, claimants all. My Warrant of Trade is somewhere on this planet. They have orders to murder anyone attempting to land. They have orders to murder anyone who does land. They have orders to murder anyone who cannot produce the randomly generated identification token on demand. They have been trained for centuries and hardened against the Orks, the Rak'Gol and the endless creditors who insisted I had to pay for these materials. Whomsoever finds and escapes with my Warrant of Trade shall claim my entire Dynasty, which consists entirely of this world.

Have fun.

That may actually work... Hmm...

But the thing is I didn't actually plan on paying for it. At least, for all of it. It's a long-term goal, I figure I have time before the Waaagh! really gets rolling, and I'll be needing resources.

1) I need a fake relic. Something Drusian. Something epic. Now, I've spoiled myself a little and saw that there's a certain Battleship that's around somewhere. If I could get a piece of that...

2) I owe the Mechancius. And the Ecclesiarchy. I intend to pay it and indebt them to me.

3) Damaris. I intend to own this sucker--err, assume rulership of this fine colony. It's a trading hub, a centre for worship, and a manufacturing centre.

4) Quite right Ruwalk, I've been eyeing the Heathen Stars as my dynasty's home base of sorts. Naduesh was going to be my first real colony (after taking Damaris).

This will take years of game time, and potentially a year of real time if we keep up the pace of our games. Possibly longer. I just want something to build towards. 

Also, how does tithing work for Rogue Traders? Are we allowed to take tithes since we are the Emperor's direct representative? Because I'm totally going to be needing tithes.

#11 Ruwalk

Ruwalk

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

well since the world are outside the imperium then you don't own tithes for them and you can run them how you want so you can make it so that your worlds must give you x stuff or whatever 

#12 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

Legally, no. The various branches of the Adeptus Terra collects their various tithes. Space is very big though, and I'm sure they could sub-contract out this work to Rogue Traders and expect a small amount of shrinkage.

Lady Sun Lee in her backstory explicitly once fooled a colony into thinking she was the Adeptus come to collect their tithes through vox manipulation and ostentatious charisma, but never explicitly called herself part of the Adeptus Terra, meaning the colony gave her all these goods for no reason. She then got away with it because technically she did nothing wrong.

So legally you are not allowed to impersonate a member of the Adeptus Terra, but you are absolutely allowed to take advantage of stupid governors.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#13 Ruwalk

Ruwalk

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

like i said they only tithe from imperial worlds so worlds in the expanse don't give tithe or Damaris would have to give a tithe wich it does not as its not recognised by the imperium at large 

#14 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

Gonna hafta go with the new testament tax collector route, eh? Hmm. Lucrative!

I'm going to make so many enemies aren't I? That's exciting, I suppose you should be judged by the quality of your enemies.

EDIT:

The pay-off for me, apart from a slightly safer Expanse, is that I plan to (re)build my dynasty's reputation with these endeavours. That, and the dynasty's fortunes.

Edited by Marwynn, 13 January 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#15 Ruwalk

Ruwalk

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

well the pay-off is what you want it to be, could be to set your dynasty up to be sector level governors, be in charge of the capitol world, own the planets were the navy sets up its major fleet base lots of pay-offs if you work it right. 

#16 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:59 AM

Edge of the Abyss, p. 32 - The Breaking Yards at SR-651

I think I found my AstrORKnomicon. Heavily defended. Grav tides and navigational hazards galore. Some approaches are navigable but will also be mineable. It's close enough to Undred-Undred Teef to be a tempting target, and Orks do seem to be able to "aim" their ships and roks at their intended destinations.

Problem is, it's probably the only true shipyard in the Koronus Expanse and if it falls, then the Orks have a great mounds of scrap and a yard to build them all in. Plus the loss of access to stripped hulls and components and such.

Also, apparently Rogue Traders and other such individuals use it, so any attempts at bragging about the place will mean I'll be blamed for the attacks on it. However, if I can maneuver a rival to invest in the system... That would be ideal since I don't want to tie up my own dynasty in fending off the orks. Turns out, Damaris is pretty dang far from the Heathen Stars where I wanted to set up my base of operations.

As I said, it's a long-term plan. I don't think we're half done with Damaris as of yet, and I just found out about the neighbouring planet Iniquity too. Wonderful, a Chaos base so close to where I invested most of my dynasty's remaining wealth!

I'm thinking of testing my Ork redirection skills and somehow sending the greenskins to fight the Chaos raiders instead.

#17 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

Also most of the scrapyards hate each other and are at war, so I wouldn't put it past them to attempt to sabotage their competitor's defenses, or "fail" to receive the memo to provide overlapping fire, hoping that someone they hate gets destroyed and then they get easy salvage.

#18 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Hmm, that kinda makes getting a rival to invest even simpler.

I choose a less despicable faction and do business with them, so the rival has to compete somehow to undermine my efforts or to eclipse them or both. I'm going to need to anyway. In fact, I owe a debt to the Mechanicus and they want a presence in the Koronus Expanse. Damaris is already Mechanicus-friendly and only half of my debt to them is paid.

If I were to foist the Mechanicus mission in my manufactorum to a scrapyard, maybe that may trigger a reaction. First, I need a wealthy rival, or less wealthy rivals...

With Mechanicus involvement it may even become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The Tech Priests are in the Breaking Yards, they must have found something important. Raiders/Orks attempt to attack, get destroyed efficiently, Mechanicus sees the need to increase defenses, attract more raiders and other interested parties.

I'm gonna need more than scrap though. I doubt these guys grow their own food, and Naduesh is just to the north...

Edited by Marwynn, 26 January 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#19 WeedyGrot

WeedyGrot

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

It might also pay to consider that if the grav tides make it difficult for the Orks to attack it safely they'll make it just as difficult to reinforce or supply and in a siege situation (say after waves of prolonged Ork attacks). The Orks will have a massive advantage.

Remember Orks will being bringing their own supplies with them but worlds in 40K tend to do only one thing and fortress worlds are unable to grow/provide enough food to supply their own populace. Add into that the fact that Orks have no qualms about looting other peoples technology but to use Ork technology is heresy and you may have a bit of a problem.

Edited by WeedyGrot, 26 January 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#20 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

The Mechanicus would also be horrified at the Breaking Yards. They see a noble and ancient Raider getting ripped in half and broken down into its component parts so that it can be sold off wholesale and they would have a case of the techno-vapors. They'd probably tear the whole thing down and label the whole thing tainted, completely blind to their own hypocrisy. 

Also from the books I've read, most of them regard ship building and maintenance as something that they unfortunately have to do as part of their alliance with the Imperium, but they'd rather be out among the stars committing horrible acts of heresy discovering lost archeotech, and would hate to be stuck in one place waiting for someone else to bring them their leftovers for repair and scrap.

• Tenebrae and Tagget like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS