Worth getting this alongside Core book?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arraxis

Arraxis

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

I recently ordered in the core book for Edge of the Empire at a local games store, and I noticed that they had the beginner game in there as well. It looks like it has dice, pre-gen characters and a starting adventure. I was wondering it it was worth getting the beginners game as well as the core version, or if I should save my money. Thanks!

#2 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

If you plan on running this game with players new to the system, absolutely. The beginner's box is definitely a linear adventure, but introduces players to the mechanics bit by bit. There's even a followup adventure called "Long Arm of the Hutt" that you can download from FFG's website that picks up where the beginner's game left off.

If all your players are already familiar with the system, there's little that the adventure offers that would be useful. If that's the case, I would only pick up the beginner's box if you can find it around the same price as the dice set.

Other than all that, you might find the card-stock character tokens or the Kraytfang and Mos Shuuta map useful.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#3 Spjork

Spjork

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

In my experience, the Beginner Box has been a great way to bring first-time RPGers into the fold. It throws the players right into the action and lays out the rules as they progress through the first session. Veteran players might feel stuck on the rails, but it can still serve as a good tutorial. The maps and character tokens are nice, if you like to use those in your games.

Also, you'll probably want to order 2 packs of dice anyway, so this will supply you with one of them.

• Veruca, JackCade, kaosoe and 2 others like this

#4 FangGrip

FangGrip

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

I skipped it without any problems.  If your group is familiar with role-playing in general you should be fine.  The Core Rules are very comprehensive and detailed.  From what I have seen, the Beginner Set is just that...a beginners set.  It has slightly different rules for a few items that may provide confusion when you swap over.

If you like maps, tokens, and other board-game like accessories with your RPGs then you may want to nab it on sale somewhere.  And a set of dice, which as Spjork mentioned, you will want at least two sets of.

Check out a truly universal RPG with Free Starter Rules at www.AlphaChronicles.com!

Check out the Consummate Gamer Blog for everything that isn't Alpha Chronicles.

#5 DavetheLost

DavetheLost

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

I actually have two copies along with the core book. The dice, maps and tokens are good value. The rulebook is good if you want to pass it on to a player to get acquainted with the basic mechanics of the system while you have your core book. The adventure is quite straightforward and railroady, and the pregenerated characters are nice examples, but may not be what your players would choose.

If you are all experienced role players, especially if the group has more than one copy of the core book you can safely skip it. If you have new players or want extra goodies then it may be worth picking up.

#6 Jamwes

Jamwes

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

You can find the box for around $20 and the dice cost $15. So the question is, is everything else in the box worth $5? Depends, do you enjoy running pre-written adventures? Do you want a nifty map? Do you want an extra rule book for your table with a couple missing or outdated rules? (For example, there are no rules for death and a handful of things were updated or expanded upon in the core book.) If you were going to buy dice and think those other items are worth $5, then you might as well pick it up.

#7 jburgos

jburgos

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

Im new to FFG SW, although I played WEG SW. I decided to buy both the EoE Corebook and the Beginner box set becasue I plan on running it for my gaming group. I figure it will be easier to teach (and myself learn) the basic rules then launch into a campaign after we get more comfortable with the rules set.

Plus Amazon is selling the box set for $23 and the core book for $41, so not a huge price point for me and I like having the tokens, extra dice (alone which are worth $14) and the maps.

Both the corebook and the box set are the latest print run NOV13.

Member of RPG Lab

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS