Another translation issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rill15

rill15

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:50 AM

Hi everyone and sorry again for bothering you with these hazy questions.

As I referred in last topic, I'm translating English version of Dunwich Horror into Korean.

And there is subtle and slightly difficult problem...

1) Gardener's place. I know what is the meaning of "place" but this one is tough one.

Like other languages, Korean has a lots of variety to express the meaning of "house"

and the Gardener's place which is also another reference of "House" has ambiguouty about

it's own feature to me. Unlike Harney Jone's "Shack" which has definite feature of expressing

it's form of house, "place" would make a lots of choices to make it because of lack of knowledge about this place. Is it mansion of large scale or small house?(form and size) 

and is the place that people lived in?(but by seeing the description about this place through "location' cards, I'm hardly sure about this) or some kind of ghost house, abandoned house?

Well, my post-translators make this into "Gardener's Mansion"(of course in Korean) because direct translation of "place" is not really good choice to express house. (and first of all, the English meaning of "place" is also not direct meaning of "house" but indirect word I presume...)

2) Another time. Direct translation of this one is same with "other time" but in Korean, it's too

simple and plain. unlike with "Another dimension" which can be the good example of "other world" and linguistically accepted in Korean, Another time...well this is just nuance of conversation like "See you another time" (of course it doesn't mean that it is not accepted... just too plain and bored expression)

Have you any good substitution word for "Another time"? (I think 'Another time dimension'...well this one is ridiculous little bit... too awkard)

Thank you for your help again & again.

• Schwaig likes this

#2 rill15

rill15

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

Ah, and another one.

Spell "Cloud Memory", Which one is closer to it's meaning? "Erase memory"(memory deletion or memory erasure)" or "dim memory(faint memory)

#3 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

Ah, and another one.

Spell "Cloud Memory", Which one is closer to it's meaning? "Erase memory"(memory deletion or memory erasure)" or "dim memory(faint memory)

In the german version the spell 'cloud memory' was translated with 'Verschwommene Erinnerungen', which means something like 'fuzzy memories' …  So according to this I would go with your 'dim memory'-suggestion.

As for 1): Cant help there right now, I have lent the HPL-book with the tale 'The Color Out of Space', so I can't check it right now. I think in this story is a description of Gardner's place...

Regarding 2): Not sure what you want to hear about this one, but the meaning (for me) is something like 'Somewhere in the future or past of your own' or 'Another point on the linear axis of time'...

So a simple english suggestion would be 'another period' … but I don't know if this helps for a translation into Korean..

Btw.: Nice project! Keep it up...

#4 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

Hi everyone and sorry again for bothering you with these hazy questions.

As I referred in last topic, I'm translating English version of Dunwich Horror into Korean.

And there is subtle and slightly difficult problem...

1) Gardener's place. I know what is the meaning of "place" but this one is tough one.

Like other languages, Korean has a lots of variety to express the meaning of "house"

and the Gardener's place which is also another reference of "House" has ambiguouty about

it's own feature to me. Unlike Harney Jone's "Shack" which has definite feature of expressing

it's form of house, "place" would make a lots of choices to make it because of lack of knowledge about this place. Is it mansion of large scale or small house?(form and size) 

and is the place that people lived in?(but by seeing the description about this place through "location' cards, I'm hardly sure about this) or some kind of ghost house, abandoned house?

Well, my post-translators make this into "Gardener's Mansion"(of course in Korean) because direct translation of "place" is not really good choice to express house. (and first of all, the English meaning of "place" is also not direct meaning of "house" but indirect word I presume...)

2) Another time. Direct translation of this one is same with "other time" but in Korean, it's too

simple and plain. unlike with "Another dimension" which can be the good example of "other world" and linguistically accepted in Korean, Another time...well this is just nuance of conversation like "See you another time" (of course it doesn't mean that it is not accepted... just too plain and bored expression)

Have you any good substitution word for "Another time"? (I think 'Another time dimension'...well this one is ridiculous little bit... too awkard)

Thank you for your help again & again.

When someone says 'Place' they usually refer to it as property in general, but in most American horror, 'Place' is used, like you said, as a way to denote a haunted/spooky/scary house or homestead. Basically, in the American/English sense, referring to a home as a 'Place' generally means it has a bad reputation, even if it's not haunted. The Gardner's Place could easily be switched to 'Farm' or 'Farmhouse' since that is what it was in the story.

As for the Cloud Memory, I would say it's more along the lines of, yeah 'Dimming' or 'Glazing Over'

Finally, on the last one, I would say Schwaig has the idea. Maybe something like, 'Another Period' would be the most accurate word.

#5 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

I would go with:

Gardner's Farm (because in the book it's actually a farmhouse)

Another Era

and Dim Memory.

Assuming the first two options are available in Korean :)

Just out of curiosity, how are you translating it? Are you reprinting everything or do you keep the translation nearby and reference it for every card?

#6 rill15

rill15

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thank you everyone!

#7 rill15

rill15

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

I would go with:

Gardner's Farm (because in the book it's actually a farmhouse)

Another Era

and Dim Memory.

Assuming the first two options are available in Korean :)

Just out of curiosity, how are you translating it? Are you reprinting everything or do you keep the translation nearby and reference it for every card?

Well, It is different by people & games, Like Arkham Horror which has tons of words and lines, usually make whole

card(image and texts) and print it and put into with card sleeve. By the accuracy and quality of printer, In this case image's quality is lower than original card... If the game has lesser texts, people usually cut the text part and print and attach it by using resticking glue or label paper.

Edited by rill15, 13 January 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#8 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

Seems like a lot of work for the players themselves...how come there are no companies that translate the games? Or isn't there a big enough market for board games in Korea?

p.s. You are using Strange Eons, right?

#9 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

1.  When I read "The Colour out of Space" I felt like Gardner's place was referring to an estate, not just the house owned by Nahum Gardner, but his entire property, including his "gardens and orchards." So I would propose translating it as estate or property.

2.  For "Another Time," the words are just as bland in English, but in the game, when you travel to "Another Time," you are travelling through a portal that actually takes you to a time that is not now: it is exactly that--another time--somewhere in the past or in the future. In H. P. Lovecraft lore, the Yithians would travel back and forth through time by swapping minds with beings in those times, so, presumably, you are going through a portal created by the Yithians.

3.  "Cloud Memory" is definitely not erasing the memory, the memory still exists, thus the necessity to cloud it. And just like adding a bunch of flour to a glass of water clouds the water, causing it to no longer be clear, "Cloud Memory" would cause the memory to not be so vivid or easily recalled. Other English words that could be used are 'cover,' 'obscure,' 'diminish,' so I would find the Korean word that best fits those for the same feel.

#10 rill15

rill15

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Thank You Again!

Seems like a lot of work for the players themselves...how come there are no companies that translate the games? Or isn't there a big enough market for board games in Korea?

p.s. You are using Strange Eons, right?

Well, maybe this opinion is different by people, I suppose...Lots of games are translated into Korean these days, but only for major, popular one. Arkham Horror itself is translated and published officially but not for expansions. maybe the reason is about sales volume. and for the p.s, nope, I'm not using that. All of works are doing by Acrobat pro...

1.  When I read "The Colour out of Space" I felt like Gardner's place was referring to an estate, not just the house owned by Nahum Gardner, but his entire property, including his "gardens and orchards." So I would propose translating it as estate or property.

2.  For "Another Time," the words are just as bland in English, but in the game, when you travel to "Another Time," you are travelling through a portal that actually takes you to a time that is not now: it is exactly that--another time--somewhere in the past or in the future. In H. P. Lovecraft lore, the Yithians would travel back and forth through time by swapping minds with beings in those times, so, presumably, you are going through a portal created by the Yithians.

3.  "Cloud Memory" is definitely not erasing the memory, the memory still exists, thus the necessity to cloud it. And just like adding a bunch of flour to a glass of water clouds the water, causing it to no longer be clear, "Cloud Memory" would cause the memory to not be so vivid or easily recalled. Other English words that could be used are 'cover,' 'obscure,' 'diminish,' so I would find the Korean word that best fits those for the same feel.

Thank you, It really helps me. I thing 'estate' is good for this one.

#11 rill15

rill15

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

and another one...

Blasted heath...

Which one is more closer meaning of 'blasted'?

I know that blasted can be referred as 'withered', 'blighted' but also can be the meaning of 'cursed'.

#12 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Yes, blasted can mean cursed, but only when using it as an expletive, and for the name of the Blasted Heath, this is not the case. Here, blasted is used as the descriptive word of the landscape, so 'withered,' 'shriveled,' 'destroyed,' 'ruined,' 'wasted,' is the meaning here, while heath is a parcel of shrub-covered, low-quality land. That the locals of the area referred to it as the Blasted Heath really implies how hideous this land must have been.

Edited by Musha Shukou, 19 January 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#13 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, I'd go with "wasted", "blighted", "worn out".

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS