• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mishari26

mishari26

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

xwing.jpg

In the above picture is a fairly common situation that comes up on Vassal.

The ships are usually set up perfectly with no slight rotation in either direction.. which results in ships having parallel sides sometimes. Thus when trying to determine whether a shot is going through an asteroid or not, there will be many different lines.. some will go through the rock, and some won't.

In the above example almost 95% of the parallel is covered.. yet not all.

My opponent said this situation was already talked about and that the attacker gets to choose any line that doesn't cross the rock.. which sounded weird to me in the above case.

What's the correct call?

#2 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Well in this case, neither ship actually has a shot at the other...

#3 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

I don't have my rule book handy but I believe for shooting the line is drawn from the closest point on the attacker's base in it's firing arc to the closest point on the defender's base, period. No attacker's choice is involved.

#4 Chargers

Chargers

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

I don't have my rule book handy but I believe for shooting the line is drawn from the closest point on the attacker's base in it's firing arc to the closest point on the defender's base, period. No attacker's choice is involved.

quoted for truth

check out www.swminiverse.com for a podcast where we cover SWM and X-Wing

#5 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

From the FAQ:

"Q: If two ships are oriented so that their closest edges are parallel, there is no single closest-point-to-closest-point line between the two ships. If one ship attacked the other, could it choose which line to use?
A: Yes. In this case, the attacking player chooses the best point from which to draw the line to the target, which may allow him to avoid having his attack obstructed by an obstacle."

So in this case, the attacker would get to choose the specific line of fire to the target.

• Hida77, SableGryphon and mishari26 like this

#6 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

I believe that rule was specifically tailored for those vassal situations. In the real board, 99% of the time there is always slight variations on the angle.

#7 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:09 AM

Not in the games I play. We generally set up parallel to the board edge and as long as you don't hit anything you'll always be either parallel or at 45deg to the board edge...

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 3 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

#8 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Not in the games I play. We generally set up parallel to the board edge and as long as you don't hit anything you'll always be either parallel or at 45deg to the board edge...

Because nobody ever banks?

#9 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Bank is a 45deg turn... hence why 2 banks leaves you parallel to the board edge...

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 3 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

#10 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

Yes, or one turn.  But unless you guys are playing with robotic precision, the idea you're moving all over the game board and somehow constantly winding up perfectly perpendicular to one another when taking shots is fairly hilarious.

• Lappenlocker likes this

#11 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

Well we generally define pre-game that we are parallel/45deg to board edge, and after moves we make sure we are still at the expected angle. Simplifies movement a bit.

#12 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

Well we generally define pre-game that we are parallel/45deg to board edge, and after moves we make sure we are still at the expected angle. Simplifies movement a bit.

Except that ship collisions would usually result in other angles. So what do you do in those cases? Take extra movement the following turn?
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#13 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Well, working out the expected angle of a ship isn't exactly hard... Collisions will of course lead to it being a little bit more complicated, but still eminantly doable.

#14 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Seriously, what are you, a Cylon?  Even on Vassal, where the movements are executed by program and not by hand, nothing stays at perfect angles to one another for very long.  

• mrkyle likes this

#15 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

ok newb question what is Vassal?? 

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#16 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

Yes, or one turn.  But unless you guys are playing with robotic precision, the idea you're moving all over the game board and somehow constantly winding up perfectly perpendicular to one another when taking shots is fairly hilarious.

I do this on a fairly regular basis. I hold my base down on the yoga mat, then move the template to position, take my finger off the base and place it on the template and then square up the ship at the other end. The only time that things get cockeyed is if I run into anything harder than a space rock. 

#17 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

Yes, I'm aware of how to move a ship without knocking everything all over the map.  The fact remains that with things getting bumped and nudged and turning/banking/boosting/rolling nothing ever remains at perfect angles to anything else for very long.

#18 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

ok newb question what is Vassal?? 

Vassal is a virtual table top people use for playing various wargames and board games.

The page isn't working right now, but that's the link to the page.  It has modules for X-Wing, and people use it to play over the internet.

http://teamcovenant.com/ a TC they run tourney's and friendly games using Vassal, the also have a number of tutorials on how to use it.

• Swedge likes this

#19 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Vanor, i have heard the term before but just thought it was somebody name.. will have to go check it out...

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#20 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

It's a little flaky but it's an awesome resource.  Takes a little getting used to, but great place to go and find a game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS