Wishlist for future companion supplement

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#141 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

From the HH novels, so take with a grain of salt, but wasn't the Emperor being deified by mortals long before his ascension to the Golden Throne? In 'Fulgrim', I think, one of the Remembrancers was reading/quoting from the banned writings of the Lecticio Imperialis, a work that was expanding even as the events of the Heresy were unfolding.

EDIT- A conversation held between a number of individuals in the immediate aftermath of the Emperor's ascension discusses the blooming deification of the Emperor and the possible ramifications of removing Him (this from the Inquisitor rules).

Edited by Brother Orpheo, 25 January 2014 - 06:57 AM.

=][=

#142 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

I think that once the remaining Primarches sided with the Emperor, there would be no doubt that he was the real deal and not some imposter. The Grey Knights should be able to confirm this. With the imperial warp routes shut down, any resistance to the Emperor would be at a serious disadvantage.

#143 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Imagine though, If the Ultima sector suddenly decided to secede!

Ultramar is an entire sector in the novels?  :huh: Wow.

From the HH novels, so take with a grain of salt, but wasn't the Emperor being deified by mortals long before his ascension to the Golden Throne? In 'Fulgrim', I think, one of the Remembrancers was reading/quoting from the banned writings of the Lecticio Imperialis, a work that was expanding even as the events of the Heresy were unfolding.

Yeah, that's Primarch Lorgar's book mentioned on the previous side.

I think that once the remaining Primarches sided with the Emperor, there would be no doubt that he was the real deal and not some imposter. The Grey Knights should be able to confirm this. With the imperial warp routes shut down, any resistance to the Emperor would be at a serious disadvantage.

The "remaining Primarchs", of whom none had shown their face throughout the last couple thousand years? And suddenly, after the Imperium has struggled for so long against so many enemies, where it had need of them, they show up, only to serve as witnesses for someone who claims to be the Emperor?

I don't know about you, but I would say the people might be in doubt about them as well. :lol:

The few who could be confused by such signs would generally be swayed by Ecclesiarchal diatribe (remember, people in the 41st millennium are even more gullible than they are today ... they have prayers for turning on the radio!), or the propaganda and black ops of Inquisitors and High Lords who may realise the truth but decide to act against him either way in the interests of stability (or personal power).

The bit about the Warp routes is an interesting thought - though would this not also lock down anyone loyal to the Emperor? I'm just guessing here, but the psychic beacon used for navigation didn't seem like something that can be "password protected", so to say. Either it's on, or it is not.

That being said, the ability to shut it off and on at will is a huge advantage all by itself, as it puts the user at a significant strategic advantage by only making the Warp useable when he'd want to move his own forces. What does it matter if you only have a few thousand warriors in a few hundred ships set against the countless millions of the Imperial Guard, if the Navy is prevented from reliable deployment? The only method to possibly deal with such an interruption would be to have a huge fleet standing in preparation at all times, ready to jump once the light goes on ... simultaneously knowing that (a) this means the enemy is making a move as well and (b) that you may have to prematurely drop out of Warp if your journey is longer than the beacon is actually alight.

It's an interesting discussion, by the way. Not the first time I've seen it, but still - almost deserves its own thread.

Edited by Lynata, 25 January 2014 - 08:01 PM.

• Elior likes this

#144 Vorzakk

Vorzakk

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'm late to the party once again, but here's my list...

1) More Homeworlds and Backgrounds.

2) More gear (including more vehicles).

3) More psyker powers

4) More stats for antagonists, particularly those most common to the 40K setting (chaos space marines, daemons, orks, dark eldar, etc.)

5) Elite advances for Sororitas (including faith powers).

#145 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

Imagine though, If the Ultima sector suddenly decided to secede!

Ultramar is an entire sector in the novels?  :huh: Wow.

Yeah, that's Primarch Lorgar's book mentioned on the previous side.

The "remaining Primarchs", of whom none had shown their face throughout the last couple thousand years? And suddenly, after the Imperium has struggled for so long against so many enemies, where it had need of them, they show up, only to serve as witnesses for someone who claims to be the Emperor?

I don't know about you, but I would say the people might be in doubt about them as well. :lol:

The few who could be confused by such signs would generally be swayed by Ecclesiarchal diatribe (remember, people in the 41st millennium are even more gullible than they are today ... they have prayers for turning on the radio!), or the propaganda and black ops of Inquisitors and High Lords who may realise the truth but decide to act against him either way in the interests of stability (or personal power).

The bit about the Warp routes is an interesting thought - though would this not also lock down anyone loyal to the Emperor? I'm just guessing here, but the psychic beacon used for navigation didn't seem like something that can be "password protected", so to say. Either it's on, or it is not.

That being said, the ability to shut it off and on at will is a huge advantage all by itself, as it puts the user at a significant strategic advantage by only making the Warp useable when he'd want to move his own forces. What does it matter if you only have a few thousand warriors in a few hundred ships set against the countless millions of the Imperial Guard, if the Navy is prevented from reliable deployment? The only method to possibly deal with such an interruption would be to have a huge fleet standing in preparation at all times, ready to jump once the light goes on ... simultaneously knowing that (a) this means the enemy is making a move as well and (b) that you may have to prematurely drop out of Warp if your journey is longer than the beacon is actually alight.

It's an interesting discussion, by the way. Not the first time I've seen it, but still - almost deserves its own thread.

Would the Emperor be the only one capable of turning the warp routes back on? He could almost use that reason alone to cripple the High Lords of Terra. If they turn against him and kill him, no more warp routes. Not even the Mechanicus know how that Golden Throne works or even how the mechanism is was before being damaged worked. 

They would have to find someone at least as strong as Malcador to power the Throne and they wouldn't even be a permanent fix.

#146 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Back on topic, another supplement that I'd like to see early on would be a ready-to-use initial setting- either one colorful planet (a hub of illicit activity, basically the new Sector's equivellent of Tatooine), or a substantially detailed hive city (with at least a map of city quarters and major arteria- with travel times- and several key locations). I find 'world-building' to be the main time-sink in running a DH1 campaign, forcing me to either delay games while I detail a setting or settle for a lower level of detail than I would prefer; having a detailed location ready to use would be a huge boon. I suppose the best way to present it would be as the setting for a three-adventure book, with the extra detail taking it from a standard thin $25 adventure to medium-sized $40 semi-sourcebook.

• Brother Orpheo likes this

#147 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

I would really like to see a sector gazetteer. I bought the old school D&D Forgotten Realms gazetteer years ago and that thing was likely the most important book I had. It saved boat loads of adventure design time.

They could even include some information on each planet as well as some notate warp routes that commonly used including dangerous ones where pirates lurk.

Edited by Elior, 28 January 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#148 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

A sector gazetteer  would be great, but I doubt that would be one of the first supplements, given the amount of work it would involve. To tide us over until that is ready, I'm asking for one highly detailed location that can be used for a variety of missions.

Edited by Adeptus-B, 28 January 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#149 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

But most of the work can be done parallel to the rule development by another small team. Rules and fluff in this case dont depend that much on each others progress.

Respect your brothers and you will also be respected.

#150 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

I'm of the opinion FFG don't have enough people not slaving away at the SW RPGs that can be dedicated to "another small team."

• Adeptus-B and Ghaundan like this

=][=

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS