• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 monk

monk

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Hi, just two quick questions

1. Rulebook says you cant perform same action twice and even gives an example. Yet in the component action part it says you can perform these from various cards and gives an example of an investigator performing 2 component actions. Therefore is a component action the only action that can be carried out twice?

2. Whats the maximum a skill can be improved by. Rulebook only states that you can flip the token if you improve a skill a second time but I cant seem to find a limit.

Cheers

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

1. Consider each component action as being a "different" action: it's not using a component action "an action", but the action that you're allowed to perform thanks to that component. Hence, two different assets granting you access to two different effects are not considered the same "action" (hope this could make this clear; not so easy to explain the nuance)

2. pag 7 in the reference guide: "An investigator cannot improve a single skill more than twice". So, yes, +2 is the max you can achieve, sorry

• monk and Fenyx like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

You can perform multiple component actions, but never from the same component.

#4 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

About portals and monsters spawning.

1 - Everytime i draw a mythos with the portal icon, i draw the number of portals according to the reference card, right? Then i draw just one monster for each portal i had to draw.

2 - Everytime i draw a mythos with the monster spawn icon, i draw a number of monsters according to the reference card for EACH portal matching the omen symbol.

Am i right about these?

#5 Husker949

Husker949

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

You are correct on both counts.

#6 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Can i use the wither spell only once per round and it lasts just for an encounter against one monster or for all monsters (for 1 round) on my space?

#7 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Wither states that it lasts for one Combat Encounter. The rules imply that while you have Combat Encounter with every monster on your space, that each of these is considered one individual Combat Encounter. A given casting of Wither should only be good against one monster. However, Wither does not indicate that it has a turn limitation, so you may continue to recast Wither so long as you can deal with the side effects of the Spell.

#8 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

Are you sure? Page 9 of the reference guide states that:

If an effect does not list a limit, it may be only used once per instance of the triggered effect.

Another question. You just solve a mystery in the end of a mythos phase. So even if i did everything to solve a mystery on my encounter phase, the mystery is just considered solved in the end of the mythos phase.

Example: Let's suppose i did everything to solve the third mystery of azathoth on my encounter phase (i don't win the game right away, i'll need to wait till the end of this turn (after mythos phase) to see if i win the game, if he awakens in the mythos phase of this same round (doom track reaches zero) i still lose the game because the third mystery isn't solved yet. Right?

So, you just face another mystery in the next turn you've solved the previous one. Right?

Edited by Nainphy, 28 January 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#9 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Yes, I am sure. An instance of the triggered effect is one Strength roll. It is not "one encounter" or "one turn", it is one instance, which is the roll, which means you can't cast Wither multiple times for a given Strength roll, but for subsequent rolls it's perfectly kosher.

End of the Mythos phase is the end of the Mythos phase. If the Doom track hots 0 under Azathoth, the Mythos phase immediately ends, so the investigators would both simultaneously lose and win the game. If that happens, winning takes precedence.

• Julia likes this

#10 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

End of the Mythos phase is the end of the Mythos phase. If the Doom track hots 0 under Azathoth, the Mythos phase immediately ends, so the investigators would both simultaneously lose and win the game. If that happens, winning takes precedence.

Is there any place written that when the doom track reaches zero the mythos phase end? Because i didn't read anything about it. The game would end in the MIDDLE of the mythos phase (in case i have a monster surge and a portal icons yet to resolve after the omen icon that made the doom track reaches zero) and the players lose.

Sorry for bothering all of you, but i'm trying to know the minimum details. ^^

About the winning/losing at the same time, i already knew the players win the game in that case.

Edited by Nainphy, 29 January 2014 - 01:17 AM.

#11 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

That's an interesting nuance, Nainphy, and I believe your reading is correct.

The AO actually wakes up during the Mythos Phase: rules seem to be pretty clear (reference guide, pag 5):

1) When the Doom track reaches the "0" space of the Doom track, the Ancient One awakens

2) After the AO awakes, Doom cannot retreat. The AO sheet describes what happens if Doom advances after the AO awakens

3) If an effect advances Doom beyond the "0" space, Doom advances to 0, the AO awakens and the Doom continues to advance using the AO's rules for advancing Doom

point 1 reads the triggering condition is the Doom reaching 0 and not the Doom situation at the End of the Mythos phase, and additionally 3 suggest that actually in the same Mythos you can have Doom reaching 0 and then triggering further "advance Doom" effects on the AO's sheet in the same Mythos.

So, yes, in your specific example the world is destroyed: Azathoth awakens because of 1) as soon as the Doom advances to zero and then you flip the AO's sheet and see what happens. It's not worded "if at the end of the Mythos phase the three Mysteries have not been solved, then the investigators lose the game". It's worded (fair and square): "Investigators lose the game".

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#12 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

There's a monster (i forget his name now) that when a reckoning effect happens, he teleports to the nearest investigator and immediately encounters it. If i have mists of releh, can i try to resolved it to avoid this encounter?

#13 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

That's an interesting nuance, Nainphy, and I believe your reading is correct.

The AO actually wakes up during the Mythos Phase: rules seem to be pretty clear (reference guide, pag 5):

1) When the Doom track reaches the "0" space of the Doom track, the Ancient One awakens

2) After the AO awakes, Doom cannot retreat. The AO sheet describes what happens if Doom advances after the AO awakens

3) If an effect advances Doom beyond the "0" space, Doom advances to 0, the AO awakens and the Doom continues to advance using the AO's rules for advancing Doom

point 1 reads the triggering condition is the Doom reaching 0 and not the Doom situation at the End of the Mythos phase, and additionally 3 suggest that actually in the same Mythos you can have Doom reaching 0 and then triggering further "advance Doom" effects on the AO's sheet in the same Mythos.

Julia, doing that changes everything. Yesterday we have met all the requirements to solve the third mystery, BUT we waited until the end of the next mythos phase so the mystery could be solved. In the same round we meet the requirements to the third mystery, yog-sothoth awakened in the MIDDLE of the mythos phase and though we could have defeated him in the next round (because we already had the three mysteries solved), we didn't. We lost the game. It was really frustating because we had all the requirements to solve the third mystery BEFORE his awakening. A person of my group cheered when we did that BUT... you know what was the ending. ^^

Edited by Nainphy, 31 January 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#14 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

:laughter: sorry to hear that! EH's FB is rather unforgiving!

#15 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

There's a monster (i forget his name now) that when a reckoning effect happens, he teleports to the nearest investigator and immediately encounters it. If i have mists of releh, can I try to resolve it to avoid this encounter?

I say no.

• Julia likes this

#16 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

I'm with Wolfgar on this one. Mists of Releh reads "during the Encounter Phase" and not "whenever you encounter a monster". Reckoning effects are not resolved during an Encounter Phase, so, no, you cannot use the spell

#17 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

There's a rumor that starts with 4 eldritch tokens on it. Everytime a reckoning happens, you take one of the eldritch tokens. When there are no eldritch tokens on it. All investigators discard all their clues and you have to discard all clues on the board. My question is: If the rumor isn't solve. Each time a new reckoning happens, all clues from the investigators and on the board are discarded again or you just do that one time, when there are no eldritch tokens on it?

Because the mythos card doesn't say that when you have no eldritch tokens on it, the rumor is solved. The rumor is still in the game. It'd be a little strange to have a rumor in game with its effect not being resolved anymore.

Edited by Nainphy, 02 February 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#18 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

I'm with Wolfgar on this one. Mists of Releh reads "during the Encounter Phase" and not "whenever you encounter a monster". Reckoning effects are not resolved during an Encounter Phase, so, no, you cannot use the spell

Errr. i think you and Wolfgar are right about mists of releh.

On page 2 of the reference guide under ambush, second entry:

After resolving the combat encounter, the monster is discarded, even if it was not defeated.

Fifth entry under ambush, page 2 of the reference guide:

Unlike a normal combat encounter, if an investigator is ambushed by a monster and he defeats that monster, he cannot resolve an additional encounter.

So, if i read well, IT IS a combat encounter, but NOT a normal combat encounter.

With that in mind, i can't use mists of releh because the ambush isn't on my combat encounter phase, but i can use wither because wither doesn't say combat encounter phase, just combat encounter.

Am i right?

Edited by Nainphy, 02 February 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#19 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:12 AM

I skimmed the Mythos deck searching for the Rumor you talk about. Is it Lost Knowledge (the one spawning the Tick Tock Men)? Looks very similar but starts with three Eldritch token on it. In case, I'd say the "discard all clues from the board and from all investigator possessions" is triggered once. The reckoning forces 1 Eldritch token to be removed, and the triggered condition says "when", not "every time" or "if". So, this condition is triggered only when the number of Eldritch tokens on the card reaches zero for the first time (and not when is zero)

#20 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

As for your spell question, you're probably right also on the Ambush thing (I should check the wording on the monster chit and the rulebook, but anyway the logic of your reasoning is sound).

As for the spell, you're reading it correctly. The wording on Releh and Wither is pretty clear: while the latter works for any Combat Encounter (hence you could play it if forced to a Combat Encounter in any phase), the former clearly reads Encounter Phase, so, no way. This could be logically inconsistent and house-ruled, but considering you want to play as strictly as possible, in this specific case Wither can be used while Mists of Releh cannot.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS