Wishlists for Heroes & Monsters Collections

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 Fused

Fused

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:12 AM

I think its a good idea to reprint monsters that go well with some of the lieutenant packs that focus on traits. I find the power level of the reprints so far to be odd. I think razorwings are really weak, yet the giants are very strong. Maybe they changed some of the stats. I hope they don't reprint skeleton archers, that is unless they upgrade them.

It sort of sounds like you have seen the new monster cards for the reprint? (As in the ones not on the FFG page). Has anyone seen the hero and monster cards for those not on the website yet? (None of my searches suggest this info has been released or leaked yet?)

I am just about to buy the conversion kit because my girlfriend has Runebound and we would like some more Heroes to add to Descent though I do find in the conversion kit heroes to be a bit unbalanced (some weak some a bit too strong). Still think the base Runebound Characters are ok, just a shame these kits won't come out before I our next campaign (none of them seem to include Red Scorpion which is her favourite anyway)

#42 Ringskipper

Ringskipper

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Red Scorpion's one of the characters in most dire need of an update, anyway. Well, in terms of that art. I love the character but by god she looks silly. I really hope she makes it to the third set. Strange how the newest one has no female characters at all.

#43 fastkarate

fastkarate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Yeah that's a surprise, actually. Descent as a whole (at least 2nd ed, which is all I've played) is really good about having a gender-diverse cast of cool looking characters instead of just mostly dudes with a handful of chainmail bikinis.

#44 Ringskipper

Ringskipper

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, it's actually one of the main things that got me into Descent. I loved the fact that there were so many different types of female characters, as opposed to two or three big-breasted, scantily-clad women.

What I would really like to see is more ethnic diversity. It may not always fit in the theme of the world, but we had a really awesome black female warrior in Runebound, so it'd be nice to see some black characters (I would kill to see Kala in 2nd edition) or darker-skinned in general. Also, Asians (I feel like Orkell may be Asian?).

#45 ramblur

ramblur

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

I don't particularly oppose the idea of adding Red Scorpion to D2.0, but I really disagree with the mindset I've seen around of these releases having to "fix" every character that were questionable in some way. Not adding some of them to D2.0 seems even better!

The conversion kit's main purpose was to pacify tantrums of those who played the old games.

This is my point: This is a new Descent game, made by new designers, and the focus I think should just be to bring the coolest things, or the things that make D2.0 cooler by adding a non-present variety. The former mindset skews this focus.

Edited by ramblur, 22 February 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#46 ramblur

ramblur

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

What I would really like to see is more ethnic diversity. It may not always fit in the theme of the world, but we had a really awesome black female warrior in Runebound, so it'd be nice to see some black characters (I would kill to see Kala in 2nd edition) or darker-skinned in general. Also, Asians (I feel like Orkell may be Asian?).

Yes.
This is so visibly lacking it makes me uncomfortable, specially when I'm with my game group. And it doesn't "fit" only if creators don't want it to. Remember that.

Edited by ramblur, 21 February 2014 - 02:11 PM.

• Ringskipper likes this

#47 BillyBabel

BillyBabel

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

Is there any reason at all to be excited about Razorwings? Is there something I'm missing about them? They have brown defense die and they don't seem to do anything interesting at all. They seem worse than Harpies in every way, they look like the zombies of the air.

• rfisha likes this

#48 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:50 AM

move of 6 and stun

#49 BillyBabel

BillyBabel

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

yeah but only for the master, that's like one stun out of the bunch as compared to like giants who can stun a whole group

#50 Whitewing

Whitewing

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Move 6 is pretty powerful if you use it right, I'm unconvinced they'll be useless.

#51 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

yeah but only for the master, that's like one stun out of the bunch as compared to like giants who can stun a whole group

I haven't actually used razorwings very much in D2E, but their high move is not something to shake a stick at..  From my memories of D1E, they can swoop in, attack, and then fly back out of range very easily.  The ability to ignore obstacles and other figures (due to Fly) also makes it really easy to get away again.

The fact that the master has Stun is just adding insult to injury (pun intended.)

#52 BillyBabel

BillyBabel

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

btw unrelated thing, where is that threat about monster suggestions? I used search but could not find it.

#53 Chachi

Chachi

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

I need clarification here. I JUST got Descent First Edition mint condition ($40!) in the mail today simply for the heroes and monsters. I ordered the conversion kit as well obviously. Will these new sets replace what I JUST bought? Should I turn around and sell what I just got and buy these new sets instead. Should I keep both?

Right now, I have Descent 2.0, LoW, LoR, TF and several lieutenant packs. And now I have Descent 1.0 with the conversion. 

I'm getting lost as to what these newer sets are. Any help would be great. 

#54 ramblur

ramblur

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

I need clarification here. I JUST got Descent First Edition mint condition ($40!) in the mail today simply for the heroes and monsters. I ordered the conversion kit as well obviously. Will these new sets replace what I JUST bought? Should I turn around and sell what I just got and buy these new sets instead. Should I keep both?

Right now, I have Descent 2.0, LoW, LoR, TF and several lieutenant packs. And now I have Descent 1.0 with the conversion. 

I'm getting lost as to what these newer sets are. Any help would be great. 

Explanation:  http://www.fantasyfl...eidm=232&esem=1

Regarding decisions, well, its you money and anxiety. :P You have a great amount of stuff already.

Edited by ramblur, 26 February 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#55 Chachi

Chachi

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

It says "many" of them have already appeared before in D1E.   So I assume there will be new things never seen before but also possibly some stuff STILL left out from D1E. I guess I'll just buy it all...lol. I hate missing out on things. 

#56 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

I like the fact they are updating them, everyone seems to think a number of the monsters are broken. Some are useless while others are overpowered. This is why i never bought them personally as i read a number of people call them game breaking.

So its nice that they are getting an update, it will fix the overpowered/underpowered heroes and monsters for those who already own the 1e while giving those of us who dont own the 1e monsters/heroes an opportunity to pick them up.

Meanwhile the models get upgraded, so they will fit in better with the more detailed monsters of 2e.

The way i see it, everyone wins :) Then again i am biased in my opinion(who here isn't?) as i don't own the 1e monsters and i am looking forward to picking these up.

That said i can see why some people (1e owners) would prefer ffg release new monsters entirely.

edit: Chachi beat me to this barely !

The update does say "Many of the heroes and monsters included in Hero and Monster Collections are updated versions of heroes and monsters previously only available in the first edition of Descent.". So there will also be some new heroes/monsters packed in there to give further incentive to 1e owners.

Edited by BentoSan, 26 February 2014 - 11:52 AM.

• Subt1e likes this

#57 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

edit: Chachi beat me to this barely !

The update does say "Many of the heroes and monsters included in Hero and Monster Collections are updated versions of heroes and monsters previously only available in the first edition of Descent.". So there will also be some new heroes/monsters packed in there to give further incentive to 1e owners.

I'd prefer if they didn't enforce that incentive - new and rehased are best kept seperate for previous 1e owners.  Releasing them in seperate boxes would be a better idea. 

A lot of 1e owners would rather pay full price for a full set of new beasties & heroes rather than full price for a couple they don't already have.

#58 Unskium

Unskium

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:29 AM

As an owner of the Conversion Kit, I'd like to know if some of these monsters are changed/updated enough or just given a new look. For an example, I don't see much of a difference in how the Chaos Beast works, which I've never considered to be an exceptionally powerful monster. Everything seems to work exactly as it was in the Kit, unless I've missed some slight changes in the numbers.

While I'll probably buy a few of these sets if the price is right, I'm kinda confused if there's actually any new material besides the mission maps or if it's all about the pretty new figures (and pretty they are!)

Edited by Unskium, 27 February 2014 - 02:34 AM.

#59 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

Pretty new figures with updates to address some balance issues it looks like. But more so it lets people who dont have access to the 1st edition stuff a chance to pick up more heroes and monsters in chunks, having spent a lot of time and money tracking down a full set of figures i can attest that i would rather have bought these kits (and will doubtlessly do so anyway, stupid ffg plastic addiction)

#60 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

So glad I refrained from buying anything d1. And I just might buy these.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS