Some Playtesting

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Kaihlik

Kaihlik

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

We started a session of the scenario from the back of the beta. This is just a few things that we noticed. We played on very short notice so we didn't make use of all the rules but we tried to keep up to the latest update which was 5 although I did want to test out the dodge rules from update 4 since I had argued so heavily against it but the situation they ended up in already imposed a -20 dodge penalty so no one was really passing dodge tests anyway. A couple of things we noticed were addressed yesterday in the update like the ability to spam psychic powers outside of combat and there being no generic shotgun to pick for the Arbite.

Our group was an Administratum Rogue Psyker (telepathy with telepathic link and Erasure), a Feral World Enforcer and a Hiver gunslinger. All were starting characters.

First thing that came up was who could read low gothic as no one had the appropriate linguitics. I know the assumption is that everyone has the ability to speak low gothic but I really think they should just put it as a skill everyone gets. It may seem redundant but not all the NPCs will have it so its there to differentiate.

I noticed heavy stubbers took a hit to damage in this. Checking just now it happened in only war but I would really recommend upping it back to 1d10+5. Its weight really suggests more damage, as it is its fairly terrible. Also its clip size doesn't make sense as its not a multiple of its full auto so you will always have 3 bullets left in your clip. Its weight and tabletop stats suggest something close to a M2HB but its stats now just do not do it justice.

Camo cloaks need to be changed to make it harder to get that -30 BS penalty. It should only really apply if you are hiding from your opponent. As written you run to the middle of a room in plain view and then if you stand there next turn -30 to hit. Its kinda weird.

[SPOILERS] This section has very minor spoilers for the adventure below so if you are playing you might not want to read.

The Autocarriage was suggested as being used in the scenario. I tried it out the PC's were being driven by an NPC faction the Sodality and they were attacked as per the bandit ambush ground encounter (the PCs could have avoided it but they knew I was about to try some combat so didn't). As per that encounter I rolled 2d10 for the bandits and rolled 16 :huh: .

This was fairly drastic, I would suggest modifying this encounter to something like the player group +1d5 with an option to increase with higher experience players.

They ambushed the Solidity car with their own open topped autocarriage which they used as a road block and to dump some heavies in their way. I had 1 heavy with a Heavy Stubber who's job was to pepper the driver and their Titheguard bodyguard. The surprise round went terribly for the ambushers as they mostly hit the doors of the autocarriage with their stub revolvers and autoguns. Unfortunately for them the driver was at the bottom of the initiative stack. With the hail of bullets firing in the car the enforcer tried firing out at the attackers, hitting but rolling low, the gunslinger hid at in the footwell (he had been hit twice and gone down to 0 wounds), overwatching the door and the psyker tried to surrender.

Since the point of the attack had been to attack the Sodality and knowing the reprisal that would come if they lived to relay the attack back they declined to stop. The driver then gunned it into reverse and they were chased by heavy stubber rounds but since the armour on the front of the car was so high they couldn't do anything to stop them.

The car seemed too tough to me, the basic NPCs couldn't even hurt the front armour and even if they had it had 20 structure points so it would have taken ages to whittle down.

[/SPOILERS]

I will update this when I think of more things that happened. I can't really comment on the non combat stuff because not much out of the ordinary happened and the only things that were issues (spamming erasure until it worked and not being sure how the new opposed test rules affected opposed psychic tests) have been fixed already.

• Tim Huckelbery, Amaimon and Elior like this

#2 Amaimon

Amaimon

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

OOhh I totally forgot how heavy stubbers suck, because I forgot they exist, because they are so weak!

Camo cloak should be back to what it was in DH1 and all other systems after it up to OW - change the range bracket one further away, or simply ditch this advantage. I even emailed this once to FFG. 

Yes, cars shouldnt have more than 10-12 armour. 

#3 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

So 16 bandits were unable to take out the driver of the autocarriage by shooting through the windows? Sounds like your GM rolling luck is almost as bad as mine :D

Edited by Covered in Weasels, 10 January 2014 - 11:16 AM.

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#4 Kaihlik

Kaihlik

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Mostly they hit bodywork with the car soaking the damage. I had it so arms and head shots got through and everything else was reduced by the cars armour. I also degraded that armour which as a vehicle I don't think would happen. Also they were just aiming at everyone in the car expecting everyone to be Sodality. The heavy stubber tried to kill the driver but he had no luck.

#5 Syrius7

Syrius7

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

I'm always so conflicted as a GM when I roll dice for the antagonists. I always want to keep the roll that I get because I like leaving it to the dice(and I'm a firm believe that the game knows when you cheat, if you don't know what I'm talking about try breaking a rule in Arkham horror board game and watch the game screw you over), however , I also know that sometime the story takes precedent and the dice roll should be "adjusted" by the GM. 

• Naviward, Covered in Weasels and Elior like this

#6 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

I'm always so conflicted as a GM when I roll dice for the antagonists. I always want to keep the roll that I get because I like leaving it to the dice(and I'm a firm believe that the game knows when you cheat, if you don't know what I'm talking about try breaking a rule in Arkham horror board game and watch the game screw you over), however , I also know that sometime the story takes precedent and the dice roll should be "adjusted" by the GM. 

My Arkham Horror group never cheated because we were afraid to incur the wrath of Cthulu. When I was testing out Eldritch Horror by myself I fudged the dice a bit on one turn to help out one investigator. The very next turn, that character took 6 sanity damage and was eliminated. :D

• Syrius7 likes this

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#7 Kaihlik

Kaihlik

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

One other thing we noticed while looking up Medicae after the fight was how stupid it was to extended care anyone who was critically wounded. If there is going to be possibility of dying while healing it should exist at all times and care should always reduce that chance. The other option is of course get rid of that possibility. I wouldn't mind critical damage forcing you to seek medical attention to improve your chances of survival but I think that's a mileage may vary issue.

Also fix trade for the love of god before I scream. If that makes it to print I think I'll face palm through my head.
  • Tenebrae and Elior like this

#8 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

I have a question, does anyone think Infused Knowledge is over powered? If I am reading it correctly, it works like this

Infused Knowledge:

Common Lore (Adepta Sororitas, Adeptus Arbites, Adeptus Astartes, Adeptus Astra Telepathica, Adeptus Mechanicus, Administratum, Askellon Sector,  Chartist Captains, Collegia Titanicus, Ecclesiarchy, Imperaial Creed, Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy, Imperium, Navigators, Planetary Defence Forces, Rogue Traders, Schola Progenium, Tech, Underworld, War)
AND

Scholastic Lore (Astromancy, Beasts, Bureaucracy, Chymistry, Cryptology, Heraldry, Imperial Warrants, Judgement, Legend, Technology, Numerology, Occult, Philosophy, Tactica Imperialis)

All of the above are testable as Known (+0), you also add +1 DoS to all Lore tests. No discount to known skills purchasing and you need to purchase them to get above +0

#9 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

It's way overpowered. It's a talent made for Only War that really shouldn't have been ported over to a game where knowledges are so useful.

• Tenebrae likes this

#10 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

I have a question, does anyone think Infused Knowledge is over powered? If I am reading it correctly, it works like this

Infused Knowledge:

Common Lore (Adepta Sororitas, Adeptus Arbites, Adeptus Astartes, Adeptus Astra Telepathica, Adeptus Mechanicus, Administratum, Askellon Sector,  Chartist Captains, Collegia Titanicus, Ecclesiarchy, Imperaial Creed, Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy, Imperium, Navigators, Planetary Defence Forces, Rogue Traders, Schola Progenium, Tech, Underworld, War)
AND

Scholastic Lore (Astromancy, Beasts, Bureaucracy, Chymistry, Cryptology, Heraldry, Imperial Warrants, Judgement, Legend, Technology, Numerology, Occult, Philosophy, Tactica Imperialis)

All of the above are testable as Known (+0), you also add +1 DoS to all Lore tests. No discount to known skills purchasing and you need to purchase them to get above +0

This only applies to CL and SL talents, but my goodness that is strong. Judging from the description this is not the kind of talent just anyone can purchase though -- you have to be imbued with this knowledge, you don't just learn it by reading a lot of books.

I hadn't really given much thought to Infused Knowledge since I've been focused on the more broken things (psychic powers mainly :D). Now that those have been tweaked in Update 6 (a good change IMO) I can focus on other things! This seems like it deserves its own thread -- I'll go start one!

#11 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

Yeah, I made an error there, but Sages still have the auto suceed with a fate point that they could use for the only lore that doesn't apply here (forbidden). Thanks for making the thread, I put a quick post in there. I hope it isn't too late, there are so many things they have done right (or improved upon), but it feels like just as many ones that need to be fixed or changed (Like acolytes getting equipped with simple items like microbeads and stablights without wasting a roll or taking care of the small transactions that an Influence roll would just be annoying for).

#12 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Yeah, I made an error there, but Sages still have the auto suceed with a fate point that they could use for the only lore that doesn't apply here (forbidden). Thanks for making the thread, I put a quick post in there. I hope it isn't too late, there are so many things they have done right (or improved upon), but it feels like just as many ones that need to be fixed or changed (Like acolytes getting equipped with simple items like microbeads and stablights without wasting a roll or taking care of the small transactions that an Influence roll would just be annoying for).

I use a system very similar to that used in the Edge of Darkness into adventure from FFG's site (IMO one of the best intro adventures available for an RPG system). Basically the Acolytes are issued a few items that would be useful for completing their mission: a kit for taking/preserving tissue samples, glow-globes, hiver overcoats, fake IDs, and an encrypted dataslate with their mission briefing. I hand out similar small but useful and appropriate items to my players at the beginning of most missions, which significantly cuts down on the amount of time my players spend purchasing fiddly little items.

#13 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

I am finding something that really irks me. First off, it doesn't state how much ammo I get for any of my starting weapons and beyond a vague influence test, all I get it in is clips. Which is beyond frustrating if you have a weapon with low ammo, like a handcannon or a pump shotgun. It becomes even more nonsensical  when you consider that by this "clips" system, taking a bolter over a bolt pistol is a better choice, because when your test (same difficulty mind you) would get you a couple 8 shot clips, compared to several 24 shot clips (for standard ammo 2 clips + 1 per DoS) and then special ammo needs gets even worse, testing at the rarity of the ammo, a pass giving you one clip with a 2nd max if you get another DoS.

How are we supposed to pass these tests? If I have Influence 35 starting and I get a Combat Shotgun (Scarce) and am rolling +0 to get more shells (and ignoring the fact that even though a pump shotgun would be +10), I will only pass it a third of the time, without much luck for more DoS. Am I missing something here?

Why can't I just buy them with thrones? As long as my PC could find a gun store that stocked the caliber I needed (which could take a while, especially if you get the fancier and uncommon guns), I could just stock up on shells and bullets, then splurge a little bit on some fancy rounds (a couple blazer shells, a handful of slugs, maybe even a modified bolt shell from Hostile Acquisitions acquired under the table) and keep track of it on my sheet.

Someone, please tell me I am reading this wrong, because I can't believe it would screw over so many players this easily.

• Tenebrae likes this

#14 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:12 AM

I would suggest a working House Rule, but those are evidently so last-season.

Tom Cruise had a similar thread, entitled 'Issues With Ammunition Acquisition' (or some other such).

Check that, and see if it helps. It was started during the original Beta, but is no less pertinent.

=][=

#15 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

I would suggest a working House Rule, but those are evidently so last-season.

That would kinda defeat the purpose of the open beta, neh?

#16 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:06 AM

No, it wouldn't. It would be contribution that might otherwise resolve the issue.

=][=

#17 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

Orpheo, I skimmed through the pages but couldn't find the one Tom did on ammo, do you have a link or quote from it?

#18 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

It's way overpowered. It's a talent made for Only War that really shouldn't have been ported over to a game where knowledges are so useful.

Infused Knowledge is from Black Crusade, in which lores can be quite important, but IS a high-power game.

#19 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Orpheo, I skimmed through the pages but couldn't find the one Tom did on ammo, do you have a link or quote from it?

http://community.fan...ue-exploitable/

=][=

#20 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

BC is also a game where you are trying to become a daemon prince, to transcend mortality and become an immortal being of immense power

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS