Acquiring Items

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Syrius7

Syrius7

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

In regards to trading loot in for more loot, its  case of highly specialized and rare(er) equipment than the one you're requesting. Since the bonus you get for this is only applicable if you try to trade in an item that is rarer than the one you're requesting. The bonus to your roll is based on the difference between the ratings. 

Eg trying to acquire an item that is -10 rarity , you trade in an item that is -30 rarity and the net bonus to your roll is +20.

#42 IronFistWarrior

IronFistWarrior

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

In regards to trading loot in for more loot, its  case of highly specialized and rare(er) equipment than the one you're requesting. Since the bonus you get for this is only applicable if you try to trade in an item that is rarer than the one you're requesting. The bonus to your roll is based on the difference between the ratings. 

Eg trying to acquire an item that is -10 rarity , you trade in an item that is -30 rarity and the net bonus to your roll is +20.

That sort of bugs me, honestly. If I've got a crate of auspex scanners, a set of microbeads, and two medkits, then I can't get them to knock down the price of a combi-tool? Remember, not everything confiscated by acolytes is going to be combat gear.

• segara82 and Tenebrae like this

#43 Syrius7

Syrius7

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

Yeah , just pointing it out in the rules. I think a pinch of common sense and house ruling will be advocated in my game. While I'm not the GM , my opinions 99% of the time reflect what the GM thinks should be the case. 

Also don't get me started on auspex scanner or binoculars. I tried to get my hands on binoculars in our first game , thinking it was a rather easy thing to get , BOY WAS A I WRONG. At the same time my outcast friend got 4 frag grenades while I lost 1 influence. It's become somewhat of a running joke. *grumble grumble* fuggin binoculars *grumble* 

Edited by Syrius7, 14 January 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#44 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

I try to use the system and it still just bugs me to be honest. One nice thing the GM did was let my arbites trade in her "stimm" for other average rarity items, but that feels like cheating to me....

Also, the GM let me assemble a 100 throne Inquisitorial "Starter Package" (Gift Basket? :P ) for each of the acolytes so we we wouldn't be TOO screwed trying to get microbeads for example

Standard Gear List: Filtration Plugs, Encrypted Microbead, Rechargeable Stablight, Combat Webbing, Dataslate, 1 Dose Stimm

And like others have said, no thrones helps to take out a lot of the RP and realism, where did I get this influence from? Can I bet it on myself? Can I slip a bribe with it? Slap 20 thrones on the counter and tell the bartender to keep it coming? (Nope, Amasec is an average item, so +0 test on my 35 Influence, oh nope, rolled a 77)

• Cail likes this

#45 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

Using influence, while under cover? Doh!

#46 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Well what else can you do with RAW?

#47 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

Nimsim posted a very nice Influence model here:

http://community.fan...btlety-systems/

• Elior and Syrius7 like this

=][=

#48 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Well what else can you do with RAW?

Exactly. And that's probably my main issue with Inflence :(

#49 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

I wish there could be a quick and easy fix, what is a good amount of thrones to get in a month, to cover expenses like ammo, lodging, food and drink, some minor gear and a bit extra?

#50 Amaimon

Amaimon

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:21 AM

Ha if you were to ask me I would say about 384 for 24 bolter bolts, 50 for lodging, food and drink, 200 for minor gear, and 50 extra. That gives about 700 thrones :)

But seriously, about 200 is ok for an avarage acolyte. That way, he still cries, when firing his bolter.

#51 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

Ha if you were to ask me I would say about 384 for 24 bolter bolts, 50 for lodging, food and drink, 200 for minor gear, and 50 extra. That gives about 700 thrones :)

But seriously, about 200 is ok for an avarage acolyte. That way, he still cries, when firing his bolter.

Personally I wouldn't be expecting starting Acolytes to have a bolter unless they are playing a Sister of Battle - and even then I'd be dubiious about allowing it.

200 Thrones seems about right though - of course with no prices for DH2's armoury you could give them millions and then tell them its only worth 1 Influence :)

For those of you (like me) who like using Thrones I found a suppliament ages ago on these forums called "Macharian Handbook". It comes in two versions, one of weapons and one for gear and covers the vast majority of the weapons and equipment from DH1 and RT - including Throne prices for them. If I every run DH2 I will probably be using these books to replace the armoury.

If I can find a link in the DH1 forums I will post it here.

Regards

Surak

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts.Therefore library's are the source of all evil.

My DH beta 2 aptitude calc is here https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

Part of the TeamACES youtube channel http://www.youtube.c...Ha0q8lrmTRGATFA

#52 Cail

Cail

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:06 AM

I usually give my players a stipend. I hate using influence for everything. I let them buy things with influence pre-mission so it represents acquiring things using The Vast Resources of the Inquisition ™. After that they get thrones to spend on mission. However I tend to make it clear they can't keep what is requisitioned after missions, and bought gear is often returned as well. Once player get the hang of this (the Big I will give them special stuff for each mission too) it actually keeps the power creep in check really nicely, while letting them play with the big toys when appropriate.

The got a bit thrift happy once too, so I gave them an audit from a really anal adept. "keep your receipts please, my lords..."

• Intellect is the Understanding of Knowledge.
  • Sentience is the Basest Form of Intellect.
  • Understanding is the True Path to Comprehension.
  • Comprehension is the Key to all Things

#53 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

I just wish our group would be okay with using the handbook, would save a lot of trouble.

#54 Cail

Cail

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:52 AM

Only problem with the handbook is you often have to flat out 'ban' a few weapons which are just straight up better versions of the regular things. Some items, like the Volg Meat Hammer are just great for adding flavour to a character though

#55 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:59 AM

The way I tend to use the handbook is as a GM-side aid only, my players don't get to see the vast lists of stuff - they get the printout of a selection of those guns that the store they are in happens to stock, it also allows me to to keep generic stock lists and stock lists for traders that the group keep going back to. All in all its a little work on my part pre-session for what turns out to be a quite subtle way of giving the setting depth.

I do find that giving players too much access to the armoury chapters of books tends to generate a long list of shiny's that the player now simply must have, and my solution to this is very simple. If they want some sort of Uber-weapon that will make their character the most powerful thing since te emperor then I will make them work for it, I will make them chase rumours of it, when they eventually find a trader who has it (assuming I didn't like it so much I gave it to a major NPC) I will make them pay through the nose in Thrones for it, and once they've done all that I will make damn sure that whoever the previous owner/s (this is 40K after all) would rather like it back.

My players now actively avoid items that are cheaper than they think they should be for fear of the strings that might be attached to it.

Regards

Surak

• segara82 and Elior like this

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts.Therefore library's are the source of all evil.

My DH beta 2 aptitude calc is here https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

Part of the TeamACES youtube channel http://www.youtube.c...Ha0q8lrmTRGATFA

#56 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

@Surak: I know the "long list of shinies" problem very well. One of my players doesn't actually list his current weapon statistics on his character sheet -- he lists the stats of the weapons he'd like to own. He has the damage, range, etc of all his own weapons memorized, but it's a problem if he can't make a session and somebody else ends up controlling his character.

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#57 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

The way I tend to use the handbook is as a GM-side aid only, my players don't get to see the vast lists of stuff - they get the printout of a selection of those guns that the store they are in happens to stock, it also allows me to to keep generic stock lists and stock lists for traders that the group keep going back to. All in all its a little work on my part pre-session for what turns out to be a quite subtle way of giving the setting depth.

I do find that giving players too much access to the armoury chapters of books tends to generate a long list of shiny's that the player now simply must have, and my solution to this is very simple. If they want some sort of Uber-weapon that will make their character the most powerful thing since te emperor then I will make them work for it, I will make them chase rumours of it, when they eventually find a trader who has it (assuming I didn't like it so much I gave it to a major NPC) I will make them pay through the nose in Thrones for it, and once they've done all that I will make damn sure that whoever the previous owner/s (this is 40K after all) would rather like it back.

My players now actively avoid items that are cheaper than they think they should be for fear of the strings that might be attached to it.

Regards

Surak

I really like this style of GMing. My players also scour the source book and make lists of items that they want. They will also exploit any rule or situation to get it too. Gotta be on my toes for those situations.

#58 Cail

Cail

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

http://www.dontevenr...ew.php?post=107

This is my advice for inspiration on how to deal with 'Shiny Shiny weapons' chasers.

• yggZ, Brother Orpheo and Elior like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS