Thoughts on Update 6

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 Khayloth

Khayloth

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:19 AM

Erhm... actually, it's the other way round after update 6, page 3, Step 2: Make Focus Power test, paragraph 2:

The power being used determines what skill or characteristic the test uses. As mentioned above, this test receives a +10 bonus for each point the power’s psy rating is under the psyker’s base psy rating, or a –10 penalty for each point it is over that value.

So again, how you do make the math for a counter-focus power?

#122 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:10 AM

Erhm... actually, it's the other way round after update 6, page 3, Step 2: Make Focus Power test, paragraph 2:

The power being used determines what skill or characteristic the test uses. As mentioned above, this test receives a +10 bonus for each point the power’s psy rating is under the psyker’s base psy rating, or a –10 penalty for each point it is over that value.

So again, how you do make the math for a counter-focus power?

Well, then there is no x10 multiplier and you simply add the PR to the test. So if you have PR 7 then you gain +7 to the test. 

#123 Khayloth

Khayloth

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

So... the only benefit for a starting Psyker making a Counter-Focus Power test is the +10 for the Psy Focus and a +2 (+3) max for his PR? 

Not a great bonus, but still, better than the non-Psykers =P

#124 seanpp

seanpp

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

So... the only benefit for a starting Psyker making a Counter-Focus Power test is the +10 for the Psy Focus and a +2 (+3) max for his PR? 

Not a great bonus, but still, better than the non-Psykers =P

Whether it's better than non-psykers is debatable, I would offer, because it comes with the chance of a Psychic Phenomenon (which, of course, includes the chance of a Perils of the Warp).  If you had the choice, would you take +2% considering it comes with a 10% chance of a Psychic Phenomenon (and then a subsequent 25% chance of the Perils Table)?  I would suggest that, perhaps if you were facing daemonic possession, you might accept the +2% - but in most cases receiving +2% for a 10% chance of a Psychic Phenomenon(& possible Perils) is dubious.

But on the subject of choice, it's interesting that the psyker gets to choose whether to "push" with this Resistance-opposed-WP-roll, but does not get a choice of whether to add their PR and therefore be subject to a Psychic Phenomenon.

Lastly, I would also point out that there's a notable disconnect in the fluff since this Resisting ability is described as "...psykers have far better mental defences than "normal" people....".  I think even +10% would be a little bit of a stretch to describe it as "far better mental defenses" and that would require an extraordinarily powerful PR of 10.  +1%-5% is certainly not "far better mental defenses" than normal folk.  And your +4% is not going to feel better at all when you roll a doubles and then a 90, sending you to the Perils Table.

#125 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

I emailed the beta team about this, and Tim Huckleberry agreed that the +PR to the opposed test didn't feel like a meaningful bonus. They are working on some possible alternatives, so hopefully we'll see some changes in the final product.

• Elior likes this

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#126 Khayloth

Khayloth

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Thank you very much for the effort =)

#127 nultaar

nultaar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

I didn't know of I've missed it in the beta rules or in one of the updates but is there any mention of the actual power levels of psy powers?

#128 LuciusT

LuciusT

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

I didn't know of I've missed it in the beta rules or in one of the updates but is there any mention of the actual power levels of psy powers?

IIIRC, power level effects things like range and damage. 

#129 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Individual powers do not have their own power levels. Think of your power level as your effective Psy Rating when you manifest the power. The default power level for your psychic powers is equal to your PR, and you can either reduce it for more controllable effects or Push to boost the power's strength.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#130 nultaar

nultaar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:40 AM

Individual powers do not have their own power levels. Think of your power level as your effective Psy Rating when you manifest the power. The default power level for your psychic powers is equal to your PR, and you can either reduce it for more controllable effects or Push to boost the power's strength.

Thanks, I'm going to be having two PC psykers running around, one with biomamcy and the other has telepathy. I'm seceretly hoping they melt their own brains before the mind link/influence sidelines the rest of the group, either that or they meet the red redemption.

#131 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

Thanks, I'm going to be having two PC psykers running around, one with biomamcy and the other has telepathy. I'm seceretly hoping they melt their own brains before the mind link/influence sidelines the rest of the group, either that or they meet the red redemption.

Or a few Daemon's attracted to their proximity! 

#132 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Update 6 included some MAJOR changes to psychic powers. Influence was replaced with a power that removes Fatigue, and the ability to cast fettered powers with no chance of Psychic Phenomena was removed.

After playing a number of sessions with a Telepath Psyker in the party, I like the changes to psychic powers a lot. Psykers are now strong but not overpowering, and now that Influence doesn't exist the noble-born character isn't overshadowed in social situations. He hasn't bought any powers that directly deal damage (i.e. Psychic Shriek) for RP reasons, so I don't know how well those stack up to conventional weapons, but judging by their stats they seem strong but not broken.

• Naviward and Elior like this

#133 nultaar

nultaar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Yes the inability to use fettered has made the party's first psyker more cautious (telepath). the second psyker (biomancer) thinks he is a dark lord of the Sith throwing round smite at anyone and anything, I don't think he'll live long. What I hadn't realise was influence had been removed, that makes social encounters a little easier.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS