• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 madpoet

madpoet

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

Toughness is too important in WFRP3 so I tried to fix it

1/character's starting Wounds depends only on races instead of TO. Humans start with 12, dwarves with 14, elves and halflings with 11.

2/Characters's corruption threshold now is fixed to 10 instead of being based on TO.

I also changed "a few" other things to enhance realism and speed up the game....

3/Expertise (white dice) bonus to characteristics are not used with my house rules.

4/A character can gain a single talent per Rank. The gained talents can be always used and don't need to be socketed to the career sheet. 

5/Epic Level optional rule (4° + RANK) Action cards specialization (spell included):  every action card can be trained and gain a single Fortune Die. Specialization on basic defenses doesn't add black dice to enemy attack but is needed to before obtaining Improved and Advanced versions.

6/To achieve the nex rank a character must spend 10 xp as following:  : 1 wound, 1 talent, 1 skill, 1 action, 6 as he want.

Buying more skills, wounds, action cards than allowed by caree increase the cost by 1 xp.

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

1.  I think a variant fix might be:  Toughness 5 does not grant bonus wounds (caps at 4).  Toughness 6 works at (-1), etcetera.

2. That's probably fair, but might be a bit nit-picky and just clutter up your house rulebook.  A GM can still slap a high toughness character around with more insanities :)

3.  Good choice.  The bonus [fortune] white die in characteristics just encouraged dice bloat.  Don't forget you'll need to deal with the careers that have "fortune dice" in their advance list.  I see you deal with this in #6 below.

4.  Good idea.

5.  Sounds fair.

6.  Do you mean "next career?"  Some players may decide to load up on channellign and spellcraft or 6 wounds :)  

#3 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

A way we found to lessen the importance of To was to remove it from the soak equation. That is, we played with Soak = Armour + Shield only.

To balance the mechanics, Strength was removed from the damage equation as well and we used the optional rule of Higher lethality presented in the Game Master's Toolkit , were each extra success = +1 damage; that is Damage = Weapon damage + 1 per extra success.

It worked fine for us.

Yepes

Edited by Yepesnopes, 10 January 2014 - 05:05 AM.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#4 madpoet

madpoet

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:14 AM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I'm not a fan of Toughness/Constitution soaking but to change the rule will change too much the game system.

I think that TO should not give both extra wounds and soak. This is redundant , wrong and unbalancing.

TO is too important.

Also allowing extra successes to deal extra damage will change the balance of many attack action cards.

#5 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:06 AM

Also allowing extra successes to deal extra damage will change the balance of many attack action cards.

I always found this optional rule one of the best proposed by the guys of FFG. Apparently they liked it too since it is a core rule in the new Star Wars game. But it is a matter of taste.

Anyway, I would not worry by the balance of the action cards, there was never such a thing in Warhammer 3  ;)

Cheers,

Yepes

Edited by Yepesnopes, 10 January 2014 - 07:09 AM.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#6 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

I've been tempted to base Corruption Threshold on Willpower instead of Toughness, to spread out the love between the stats and encourage PC wizards to dabble in the dark arts.

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

I think corruption threshhold should be based on whatever a player's dump stat is.  That would be a really simple house rule.

#8 madpoet

madpoet

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

I really like the rule but at the same time there are cards that need 3 hammers or a couple of eagle just to get +2 damage or less.

#9 madpoet

madpoet

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

good rule Emirikol! unfortunately I like to appear a really fair Game Master. Every time I suggest a new rule (75% is against the characters) my players just accept it without complaining (too much ;))

#10 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

The optional rule from the GM's toolkit limits the bonus damage from successes (past the best success line on the card) to a maximum equal to your ranks in the skill being used. So it's not quite as open-ended as I understand the EotE system to be.

#11 madpoet

madpoet

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

I was not aware of this optional rule. I'll think about it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS