A humble beginning.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Dedalus

Dedalus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

So, finally I have some free time to beggin my LotR LCG journey.

I have to say, I have aquired a Core Set somewhere at the end of september 2013., and I have read and "learned" rules that follow Core Set, but, somehow there was not some free time available for me to start with play. I was freshly married and into moving to new home and at the same time pretty occupied with work mixed up with some other obligations coming my way. 

Today, I have ordered The Hunt for Gollum A.P. and together with Core Set it is making my current LotR LCG collection. I was wondering for some time what to get next, but since that I haven't actually played the game, it wasn't hard for me to choose. Because my hobby budget is pretty much low, the only two choices where mentioned Adventure Pack or Over Hill and Under Hill Deluxe Expansion. I have read several times a New Player Buying Guide from TftC, and it was clear to me that I have to start from beginning following the release order - just the same way that I did with Warhammer: Invasion LCG. Yeah, I guess I want to have it all with no matter how much time does it takes.

I will probably update my progress with the gameplay in this topic, hoping that I won't have much trouble with it. 

Finally, I am going in circles around the box - like cat around the mouse... It is time to go. The Road awaits me.

Dedalus

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay."

My blog - 
http://theeanvil.blogspot.com/

#2 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

Welcome aboard, Dedalus! And I hope you enjoy your adventures in middle earth as much as many of us here do. I daresay you found the right place to ask for advice/help should you struggle and I eagerly await your progress reports! Have fun!

#3 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

Welcome aboard buddy. You have many hours of enthralling enjoyment coming up :) good luck

#4 Legoland

Legoland

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

Hi Dedalus, first of all: all the best for your marriage! I´m still married since 2007 and won´t miss it. I play all the way from the beginning at the moment. Though I have the expansion until Khazad-Dum^^. I do because I found (finaly) the QuestLog ( http://tools.fantasy...questlog/#/home ) where you can save all you´re scores and compare it with friends!

So don´t hesitate to retain all you fails and succsess there. Also you can add other player as friends to compare with you´re own progress! ( http://community.fan...log-comparison/ )

So have much fun with the very good and intresting different Quests!

Edited by Legoland, 10 January 2014 - 12:30 AM.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” LotR The fellowship of the ring

#5 Dedalus

Dedalus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Thank you for your kind words :D

"The Beacons are lit! Gondor calls for aid."

I will go very noobish with this one:

In a Resource phase - "Each player simultaneously adds 1 resource token to each of his heroes resource pools."

This affects only heroes - not allies?

Thank you guys in forward!

Dedalus

Edited by Dedalus, 15 January 2014 - 03:28 PM.

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay."

My blog - 

#6 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

Welcome and yes only Heroes get a resource token in the resource phase

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#7 Dedalus

Dedalus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

Thank you!

I was doing it right
:D

Edited by Dedalus, 15 January 2014 - 04:11 PM.

My blog - 

#8 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Welcome, I'm new as well, hope to hear from you soon and compare notes! I'm in the process of ordering mine now! Have a great day and grats on marriage. I'll make 23 years this year!

The Cajun

#9 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

It's always good to see new people join in the fun :) Welcome aboard, all!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#10 Dedalus

Dedalus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

Once again, I need your help guys  ;) 

This time, I have two questions:

1. If a character is commited to a quest - can he be declared (and act) as a defender?

2. During a Combat phase - can I declare as a defender an Ally instead of Hero? 

Thank you in forward!

Dedalus

My blog - 

#11 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Once again, I need your help guys  ;) 

This time, I have two questions:

1. If a character is commited to a quest - can he be declared (and act) as a defender?

2. During a Combat phase - can I declare as a defender an Ally instead of Hero? 

Thank you in forward!

Dedalus

1. No, not unless you have some way to ready them (i.e. Unexpected Courage). You have to exhaust a character (hero or ally) to quest, defend, or attack. So, usually a character is limited to one action per turn (outside cards that ready heroes/allies).

2. Of course! Any character (hero or ally) can quest/attack/defend. :)

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 22 January 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#12 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

To add to the above, just remember that damage from undefended attacks MUST be placed on heroes, not allies.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#13 Dedalus

Dedalus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

This was very quick answering  :D Thanks!

@Dain Ironfoot 

1. I have failed at this one - I didn't understood it right. So, at next game I won't make this mistake.
2. I did this one right somewhere at 4-5 round.  :( 

@Raven1015

I know this, thanks. Still, I was lucky and managed to defend every attack.

BUT, I have lost my first game. Not disappointed instead of how much angry I am at myself because I didn't care about some things, like:
- count every round,
- raise threat level for 1 at the start of new round,
- read every card text rules again and again, etc.
And, finally, I was playing with Tactics. Not best choice I know, but needed to start with something. Example from gameplay - I've lost Legolas in Mirkwood somewhere around 4th round, and at the same time Gimli was with 3 hit points and Thalin with 2.

Taking now a little break and starting a new game. 
I need a beer.

Dedalus

Edited by Dedalus, 22 January 2014 - 02:39 PM.

My blog - 

#14 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

This was very quick answering  :D Thanks!

@Dain Ironfoot 

1. I have failed at this one - I didn't understood it right. So, at next game I won't make this mistake.
2. I did this one right somewhere at 4-5 round.  :( 

@Raven1015

I know this, thanks. Still, I was lucky and managed to defend every attack.

BUT, I have lost my first game. Not disappointed instead of how much angry I am at myself because I didn't care about some things, like:
- count every round,
- raise threat level for 1 at the start of new round,
- read every card text rules again and again, etc.
And, finally, I was playing with Tactics. Not best choice I know, but needed to start with something. Example from gameplay - I've lost Legolas in Mirkwood somewhere around 4th round, and at the same time Gimli was with 3 hit points and Thalin with 2.

Taking now a little break and starting a new game. 
I need a beer.

Dedalus

start with the spirit, or leadership deck. they tend to have more success. :)

you might always want to check this out, if you haven't:

http://talesfromthec...aying-lotr-lcg/

#15 Dedalus

Dedalus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

@Dain Ironfoot

And so I did. I've tried with Leadership deck and that was pretty much easy game without losing Heroes. 
My final score is 107 on Passage through Mirkwood scenario.
Although - I have 0 victory points and that is confusing me. I've searched through cards for victory card text and I haven't see any. 

Is this ok, or am I doing something wrong? - Again.

Dedalus

My blog - 

#16 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

@Dain Ironfoot

And so I did. I've tried with Leadership deck and that was pretty much easy game without losing Heroes. 
My final score is 107 on Passage through Mirkwood scenario.
Although - I have 0 victory points and that is confusing me. I've searched through cards for victory card text and I haven't see any. 

Is this ok, or am I doing something wrong? - Again.

Dedalus

victory points are usually found on encounter cards (but sometimes player cards from later expansions). not every encounter deck has cards with victory points - but you will see some in later adventures.

i don't actually ever keep score - i think it's kinda silly - but some players do! :)

#17 Dedalus

Dedalus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Me, again.

In the Encounter phase - "The enemy with the highest engagement cost that is equal to or lower than this player’s threat level engages this player..."

Ok, I understand this.

But what does happen if engagement cost is higher than player's threat level?

Example:

I am in the 1st round on Passage Through Mirkwood, and quest setup throw Forest Spider (engagement cost 25) and Old Forest Road. After commiting a hero to a quest, encounter deck throw Hummerhorns (engagement cost 40).
My threat level is 29 (playing Leadership).

Thanks for help.

Dedalus

Edited by Dedalus, 29 January 2014 - 11:56 AM.

My blog - 

#18 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

If its engagement cost is higher, then it just stays in the staging area (unless you choose to use your 1 optional engagement to bring it down). This is nice, as it gives you a chance to snipe that Hummerhorns before it can engage you and deal its damage!

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#19 Dedalus

Dedalus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Yeah, that is really nice  :) Fighting Hummerhorns beastie is a huge bite in 1st round  :wacko: 

And, I have another one:

In the Quest phase: "if there is an active location, progress tokens are placed on that location until it is explored."

Ok, location (Old Forest Road) is still in the staging area, I didn't yet travel to location, so it's not active - progress tokens are going to a quest?

My blog - 

#20 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, that is really nice  :) Fighting Hummerhorns beastie is a huge bite in 1st round  :wacko: 

And, I have another one:

In the Quest phase: "if there is an active location, progress tokens are placed on that location until it is explored."

Ok, location (Old Forest Road) is still in the staging area, I didn't yet travel to location, so it's not active - progress tokens are going to a quest?

correct.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS