Has anyone tried a steward line-up?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:09 AM

And by that I mean Denethor, Boromir, Faramir. Should be possible to create a decent Lore/Tactics or Lore/Leadership Gondor-themed deck. Either Leadership Boromir with Faramir and Denethor as allies and one more sphere, or Faramir and Denethor as Lore heroes.

If you were to build a deck around Boromir (HoN), Denethor (Core) and Faramir (AoO), how would you go about it? My friend and I are looking for a good Gondor/Ranger-themed deck, and I'm trying to persuade him to let go of Beregond and bring some Lore or Spirit into it, as he often loses because of low willpower.

Edited by Olorin93, 09 January 2014 - 04:10 AM.

#2 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

Do you want it only for normal quests, or also for siege/battle?

#3 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

One could always tweak it a bit for siege and battle. I'm thinking a decent deck that could beat most regular willpower scenarios. I think it could rely partially on rangers and traps, but Faramir, Boromir and Denethor together will probably be unable to draw on low-threat boons.

EDIT: nice avatar!

Edited by Olorin93, 09 January 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#4 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

I made a deck like this that was meant to pair with a Rohan deck (Dunhere, Eowyn, Hama). It didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. I'm still tweaking it a bit, and it actually seems to work a little bit better when you mix things up: Boromir, Dunhere, Eowyn in one deck, Hama, Denethor, Faramir in another.

It ends up being kinda a Ranger deck that keeps enemies in the staging area to combo with Faramir holding Great Yew Bow and Dunhere, each holding some Spears of the Mark (Nor Am I A Stranger for Faramir). As much as I'm trying to get the synergy between Gondor and Rohan working with Nor Am I A Stranger and Mutual Accord and For Gondor! and such, I'm finding that most of these are useful in very few situations and are more just for a stupidly huge push at the end of the game to finish the quest. I'll have to post them to see what people think I should do with them.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#5 Alex6222

Alex6222

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

I love the art in that lineup (Boromir HoH, Denethor, Faramir). I tried it once and to be honest it went bad, am not saying it's impossible but for solo it won't win a lot. I think it would serve better in multiplayer.

#6 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

I love the art in that lineup (Boromir HoH, Denethor, Faramir). I tried it once and to be honest it went bad, am not saying it's impossible but for solo it won't win a lot. I think it would serve better in multiplayer.

Yea, it just doesn't have the willpower to do much, which is one of the problems I run into with my Rohan and Gondor decks. Eowyn helps out a lot, but even with her and Visionary Leadership, it takes a while to build a decent amount of questing power.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#7 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

And by that I mean Denethor, Boromir, Faramir. Should be possible to create a decent Lore/Tactics or Lore/Leadership Gondor-themed deck. Either Leadership Boromir with Faramir and Denethor as allies and one more sphere, or Faramir and Denethor as Lore heroes.

If you were to build a deck around Boromir (HoN), Denethor (Core) and Faramir (AoO), how would you go about it? My friend and I are looking for a good Gondor/Ranger-themed deck, and I'm trying to persuade him to let go of Beregond and bring some Lore or Spirit into it, as he often loses because of low willpower.

Here is what I came up with:

Solo Deck: For Gondor!

Hero (3)
Denethor (Core) x1
Boromir (HON) x1
Faramir (AoO) x1

Ally (24)
Ithilien Tracker (HON) x3
Anborn (TBoG) x2
Citadel Custodian (HON) x2
Envoy of Pelargir (HON) x3
Warden of Healing (TLD) x2
Gleowine (Core) x3
Ithilien Archer (EaAD) x3
Master of the Forge (SaF) x3
Gandalf (Core) x3

Attachment (12)
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3
Ranger Bow (AoO) x3
Ranger Spikes (HON) x3
Visionary Leadership (TMV) x3

Event (14)
Daeron's Runes (FoS) x3
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
Wealth of Gondor (HON) x3
Mithrandir's Advice (TSF) x3
For Gondor! (Core) x2

Strategy:
Steward of Gondor gets played on Denethor, finally! Put Visionary Leadership on Boromir, since he usually is able to keep some resources around, while Denethor and Faramir are spending lots to play lore cards. Faramir is the main quester, I usually exhaust Denethor right away to see what is coming off the encounter deck. Gleowine, Master of the Forge, Daeron's Runes, and Mithrandir's Adivice do a pretty good job for card draw, although I wish there was a Gondor themed card for this function.
Gandalf/sneak attack is primarily for threat reduction. the deck can often get a Ranger Bow/Ranger trap/Anborn cycle going with low hp enemies.

i would not try it on JatA starting 30 threat and Hill Troll is not a good match. I did get some victories on Into Ithilien though.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#8 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:50 AM

Thank you so much, Tracker! Will definitely try this out.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS