Availability?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 FreddieG

FreddieG

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

We're new to the game- got it for Christmas for my son. We have played it every night since!

I was looking for adventure packs, but it seems the early ones are rare, listed for $85+ on Amazon or eBay. I finally found a single copy of Hunt for Gollum at a local store. Is there a reason these are becoming rare? Does this normally happen between production runs?

Appreciate your feedback!

#2 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

You nailed it with the last sentence, they do re-prints of the older sets but in between those times they see an escalation of price.  Just checked amazon though and saw all of the first cycle available for 12-20 bucks per AP.  

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#3 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

We're new to the game- got it for Christmas for my son. We have played it every night since!

I was looking for adventure packs, but it seems the early ones are rare, listed for $85+ on Amazon or eBay. I finally found a single copy of Hunt for Gollum at a local store. Is there a reason these are becoming rare? Does this normally happen between production runs?

the first APs are currently being reprinted and should be available Jan/Feb. You can check the "upcoming" page for more info!

http://www.fantasyfl...ge_upcoming.asp

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 08 January 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#4 FreddieG

FreddieG

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

Phew...  I was worried that I just got into a dying game! 

I'll run down and give my local shop a little more love since they have the first three, and they still seem to be pretty expensive online.

Already ordered the first Hobbit expansion, since my boy is obsessed with the movie right now, but it's still on back-order.

Thanks for your help.

#5 FreddieG

FreddieG

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

the first APs are currently being reprinted and should be available Jan/Feb. You can check the "upcoming" page for more info!

Thanks for that  -  what does "Updated" mean?  Does that just mean that the release date is updated, or that the cards will change?  Glad for your help.

#6 Dedalus

Dedalus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

I think that the cards will have updated card text from FAQ's. Or, maybe I am wrong.

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay."

My blog - 
http://theeanvil.blogspot.com/

#7 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for that  -  what does "Updated" mean?  Does that just mean that the release date is updated, or that the cards will change?  Glad for your help.

just that the release date is updated.

so far, very few reprints have had "updated" text.

#8 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Updated means that the encounter cards will be numbered, and possibly in this new run, the "hard" encounter cards to be removed for easy mode are marked.

#9 Dedalus

Dedalus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

just that the release date is updated.

so far, very few reprints have had "updated" text.

@Dain Ironfoot Thank you for updating my noobism  :D

Edited by Dedalus, 08 January 2014 - 01:17 PM.

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay."

My blog - 
http://theeanvil.blogspot.com/

#10 FreddieG

FreddieG

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

Interesting. Thanks

#11 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Interesting. Thanks

that's not to say this round of reprinting won't have the errata, but so far, only 3 cards have been reprinted with updated text (all from the core - but not all core cards have been updated).

#12 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

I wouldn't worry about this being a "dying game". The CEO of the company announced at Gen Con that this game was the company's unsung hero and was doing very well. I think this is reflected in the number of new releases we're seeing: New deluxe expansion with a full AP cycle, new saga expansions based on the novels, and new print on demand nightmare decks, and POD gen con adventures. Furthermore, the production values keep going up with highly improved art and product inserts. The general feeling around this game is that it is receiving a lot of attention and TLC from FFG and it has a good future ahead of it. I think it's a great time to get into the game.

If you're struggling to find adventure packs, keep checking the FFG online store. They sell for set prices (no markup) and are available if there is any stock to be had (ie- not currently out of print). FFG has consistently said that this game will be "evergreen" and reprints will be of sold out products. I certainly would not pay the inflated prices some stores are asking, just wait a few months until the reprints are available.

#13 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

I ran into this exact same problem when I first begun collecting the game last Summer.  The Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle was impossible to find anywhere.  I distinctly remember really wanted the Tactics Boromir hero from the Dead Marshes pack and the only one I could find was $45 on eBay.  Just ridiculous.  

I soon realized that Fantasy Flight Games does do continual reprints of (most) of their board and card games, though.  So, hang in there; if you're anything like me, you'll want to collect the game and enjoy it a.s.a.p. and waiting for the reprints can be hard, but once they do reprint them, check out www.CoolStuffInc.com or www.MiniatureMarket.com.  I have found that those two gaming stores have the best prices on the internet for the Lord of the Rings LCG expansions.

Good Luck!

#14 soldat7

soldat7

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

Interesting. Thanks

that's not to say this round of reprinting won't have the errata, but so far, only 3 cards have been reprinted with updated text (all from the core - but not all core cards have been updated).

Master of Lore and Blocking Wargs have updated text as of August 2013.

#15 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:43 AM

Welcome to the game! Hope you sort it out. The game will be more fun when you get new APs and expansions and your card pool expands. Some of the best heroes and allies are in the Shadows of Mirkwood and Dwarrowdelf adventure packs.

• FreddieG likes this

#16 Jose-san

Jose-san

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

Good to know. I'm new to the game too and I was wondering just this.

Edited by Jose-san, 09 January 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#17 FreddieG

FreddieG

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Thank you for the info and welcomes!  This is an awesome community.

Good to know that the product is still expanding and "getting some love."

I'm keeping an eye on online stores, but will try to give my local shop as much business as I can - they are charging $14.99 for AP's (which seems to be totaly fair) and I want to make sure they continue to stock them.

From what I've gathered, it seems to be a good plan to play through the Mirkwood series - and I already have the Hobbit set on order since my son is a dwarf nut. Any thought on Khazad-dûm? They had that one stocked for $29.

Thanks again for the helpful, welcoming comments.

• danpoage likes this

#18 Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

MSRP (in USD)

Core: $39.95

AP's: $14.95

Deluxe: $29.95

Saga: $29.95

So, yeah, the prices you are seeing are fair.  If your budget it tight, you can find them cheaper.

Khazad-dum (and the Dwarowdelf cycle) have some fan favorite cards and quests: Foundations of Stone and The Watcher in the Water rise to the top of most lists. Plus, since your son likes dwarves, there are a bunch of good cards for those types of decks across the whole cycle.

Edited by Thanatopsis, 13 January 2014 - 05:05 PM.

• FreddieG likes this

#19 FreddieG

FreddieG

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Nice - thanks for the tips!  

I'm sure that I'll get Khazad-dûm pretty soon...  at the rate we're buying up expansions (one a week), we'll be through Mirkwood soon.

Ive got to admit, we're thoroughly addicted. 

#20 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

According to FFG's upcoming site, Khazad-Dûm's reprints should arrive in January 2014...any day now :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS