Milk of Shub-Niggurath or: And Otherworldly Beverage

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:58 AM

I know the wiki says there is no official ruling AND that it is /intended/ for use in a Street or Location but--just what DOES happen if you use this in an Otherworld?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

Not so sure why "location" should be read as "OW area", though... Anyhoo, there are two different effects on the card:

a) move the monsters

b) reduce the Sanity to 0

I'd say a) cannot be done but b) will work anyway, so, welcome LiTaS (or devoured in a Yog game)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

I have to agree with Julia...there's absolutely no net benefit from doing so in an OW.  Tell the nice nurses at the Asylum you appreciate their help.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

I'm of the opinion that it can't be done in the Other World: that the first portion regarding the relocation of monsters is a requirement. All that guides me though is the notion that the Black Goat items weren't carefully worded or thoroughly tested.

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Tibs,

That's an understatement. But, I guess we have at least two ways of interpreting this card. To me, it doesn't read like a requirement as much as an action. There might be someone out here who interprets it to read "it calls all of a particular type to them" - Mi-Gos for Yuggoth, etc.. Now, that's thematic.

Cheers,
Joe

Edited by The Professor, 08 January 2014 - 11:15 AM.

The Professor

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'm of the opinion that it can't be done in the Other World: that the first portion regarding the relocation of monsters is a requirement. All that guides me though is the notion that the Black Goat items weren't carefully worded or thoroughly tested.

On your second sentence, I can't, but agree. Could you share why you believe the first part is a requirement? Just curious. It's the wording, or? By extension, what happens if you're in Arkham and there are no monsters around? Is the second part still triggered?

This said, I see only very few occasion where you could want to go insane on purpose (actually, the need to retire comes to mind, but almost nothing else)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#7 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Like I said, I actually went looking for an answer to this and the Wiki says, specifically, it's intended for use in Arkham, though there is no ruling to say that specifically in the rules as of yet.

My main thing was, essentially, I had a MS that resulted in blocking a lot of key gates in a game last night. I could use the Milk to move them all into an OW to clear them away OR I could try and fight my way through. In this instance, t'would have been a boon since I was playing with Hastur anyway, so LiSaT really wasn't scary.

So, I did the only thing I could do!

Used the Milk, moved them to an OW and prayed I could seal other locations and keep that one gate leading to that on OW from causing too many MS later on. XD

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:51 AM

Faust, apologies, but allow me to try to clarify this better. Why should "location" be read as "OW area" in this case? Forget about the wiki that it's absolutely non-official. FAQ is pretty clear at this point. On pag. 2 we read (emphasys mine):

Locations
“Location” is typically defined as the circular space represented in the neighborhoods (for example, the Woods or the General Store). In some cases, however, the word “location” is used but not meant to be restricted to these circular Arkham Locations. The following paragraphs outline usages of the word “location” which are not meant to be limited to just Arkham locations.

[...]

An investigator using the Carcosan Page [KiY] Unique Item may choose another investigator in any location, street area, or Other World area. Milk of Shub-Niggurath [BGotW] can be used in any street area or location, but not in an Other World area.

As you can see, the way MoSN can be used is clearly stated in the FAQ, proving the wiki to be wrong.

Edited by Julia, 09 January 2014 - 03:52 AM.

#9 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:43 AM

Faust, apologies, but allow me to try to clarify this better. Why should "location" be read as "OW area" in this case? Forget about the wiki that it's absolutely non-official. FAQ is pretty clear at this point. On pag. 2 we read (emphasys mine):

Locations
“Location” is typically defined as the circular space represented in the neighborhoods (for example, the Woods or the General Store). In some cases, however, the word “location” is used but not meant to be restricted to these circular Arkham Locations. The following paragraphs outline usages of the word “location” which are not meant to be limited to just Arkham locations.

[...]

An investigator using the Carcosan Page [KiY] Unique Item may choose another investigator in any location, street area, or Other World area. Milk of Shub-Niggurath [BGotW] can be used in any street area or location, but not in an Other World area.

As you can see, the way MoSN can be used is clearly stated in the FAQ, proving the wiki to be wrong.

Ahem. Allow ME to clarify MY point.

I don't like losing. ;)

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

But, Dr. Faust that IS part of the beauty of AH!

The Professor

#11 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

Absolutely it is! And don't get my wrong, I enjoy seeing someone get overwhelmed and torn apart as much as any sadistic Keeper, BUT it was late and Faust wanted to go to bed with a smile on his face! XD

But, now that it's been cleared up, if the situation arises, I'll have no excuse. I am contemplating getting a video camera to keep myself honest.

• Julia likes this

#12 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Absolutely it is! And don't get my wrong, I enjoy seeing someone get overwhelmed and torn apart as much as any sadistic Keeper, BUT it was late and Faust wanted to go to bed with a smile on his face! XD

But, now that it's been cleared up, if the situation arises, I'll have no excuse. I am contemplating getting a video camera to keep myself honest.

Yes! And since you so blatantly cheated the poor game, from now on every win you record must be approved by a committee to be declared legal! ;)

#13 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:57 AM

Yes! And since you so blatantly cheated the poor game, from now on every win you record must be approved by a committee to be declared legal! ;)

Actually, yeah. I've admitted on here I fudge, it's why I don't post logs like Julia does. XD But hey, maybe if I video tape my games and post them on Youtube, I can become a web celebrity.

Come watch my videos on 'ThatGuyWhoCheats@AH.com' XDD

• Julia likes this

#14 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

:laughter: the only important thing is that while you play, you have fun. Nothing more is really important.

• CrusherJoe likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS