Translation Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rill15

rill15

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Hi, I'm a new kid to start Arkham Horror board games and I'm Korean.

Actually there is lincensed version of this game in Korea but only about original one, not all of exapnsions, So now I'm personally translating Dunwich Horror to make it easy to understand in playing. but there is some translation issues, mostly about the semantic, pragmatic problem. So I ask your help to get me some understanding about the word.

1) "Lost" Carcosa, I know the lexical meaning of the lost and this one can be referred several meanings when it comes in front of noun.(like "lost city") Actually there is a lot of words to express "lost" in Korean, but I want to know about the exact directive meaning, or nuance of "lost"

Is it "forgotten" that no longer known to people or no longer in the possession like "a lost wallet" thingy or like "doesn't exist anymore" or "doomed/destroyed"? Actually it is hazy in even Korean (the directive translated lexical meaning is same with "a lost pen" and "a lost child"(doesn't know the place to go))

2) Village common, I presume that this word is used a lot in common Engish but hard to find exact meaning of this in Korean dictionary. What is the replacable word for this one? I thought this one is about "sharing grounds or places of village" is it right? 

3) Bishop's brook bridge, It it just meaning of "Bishop's brook"(which is just reference, rhetoric words for "bridge") bridge?

4) a lots of injuries/madness card's name is hesitating because some of words can be translated into several meaning which is largely okay in some manners. For example,

"tainted", is it about "infected" in some diseases or another expression about injuries?

and "jinxed"(I think this is more like some "bad luck" so actually this one is not about

physical injuries...) and "memory loss and amnesia" (isn't is same meaning?)

and this is all about. I think it is more like "language" issue, not the "Arkham Horror" issue

but hope it will be answered by you. Thanks a lot!

• Tox likes this

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

Interesting topic.

1) I believe it is "lost" as in "forgotten"

2) Yes, that's right. It's the central, marketplace-like area of the village.

3) It is the bridge that goes over the river named "Bishop's Brook."

4a) "Tainted" is a tough one because that was, in my opinion, a bad choice for the injury deck. It would have been a better card in the Madness deck, and better as something like "fright" or "cowardice" or "terror." Good luck on this one, sorry.

4b) Jinxed here means "bad luck." Again, kind of a bad one for an "injury" deck.

4c) "Amnesia" means you're unable to recall deeper memories from the past, which could be as severe as your own name or the faces of loved ones. "Memory loss" is more general but I take it to mean the inability to remember things from here forward. For example, if I was your long-time friend and then you forgot, that would be amnesia. If I met you at a gathering tomorrow, and then you went away to eat cheese from the snack table and a minute later you've already forgotten that you met me, that would be memory loss.

• Tox likes this

#3 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

I see it having a possible 2 meanings. It could be that "Tainted" refers to a state of "Contamination" or "Infection," since it is in the Injury deck, implying something physical. But then, since it affects Will, perhaps it means tainted in the sense of "to be affected by something evil or terrifying." You could go either way here, but my personal opinion would be to translate it as to be affected by something evil.

Edited by Musha Shukou, 08 January 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#4 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:46 AM

For what it's worth, inability to form new memories is also a kind of amnesia (anterograde amnesia).  When people talk about amnesia they most often mean the "who am I?" style of retrograde amnesia popular in soap operas and such, but yeah, there really isn't any meaningful difference between amnesia and memory loss. 

If it helps, I think the main distinction that can be drawn between those two cards is that Amnesia is a madness and Memory Loss is an injury, so amnesia might be a matter of repressed memories due to psychological trauma, whereas memory loss is more like you got hit on the head and can't remember spells as well.

#5 rill15

rill15

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Thank you everyone. It helps a lot. Actually the people who finished Dunwich Horror's translation before licensed version of Arkham horror is published in Korea, they translate "tainted" as "fallen(of fallen angel)"&"corrupted". So I think this one doesn't have a relation with "physical injuries"(it is more like mental or conscience problem). Well, this would be difficult one....

#6 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

Thank you everyone. It helps a lot. Actually the people who finished Dunwich Horror's translation before licensed version of Arkham horror is published in Korea, they translate "tainted" as "fallen(of fallen angel)"&"corrupted". So I think this one doesn't have a relation with "physical injuries"(it is more like mental or conscience problem). Well, this would be difficult one....

Interesting that--'Fallen'. I had the same thought though, I think the tainted as in the physical sense, like with an infection by some alien force. Like--corruption cards in the Black Goat of the Woods. It's physical but caused by unearthly means.

Also, I think that 'Jinxed' might be better served as 'Jitters' or 'Clumsiness' since being clumsy seems to be more just someone having bad luck in most cases then actually have dexterity issues.

Edited by Dr.Faust, 09 January 2014 - 01:00 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS