• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ocelot42

Ocelot42

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

I have a few questions about cards from the nether realms:

1) If I'm sitting on Pandora's Box, and I play Goblin Baby/Sepulchre Spectre on someone and the cards in question move to their space, do they then have to encounter all of them, or do they just move to his space?

If he encounters them all, does that include any cards that began on his space?

2) The Gauntlet: If there are enough disastrous attempts at trying to make it to the CoC, does the nether deck get reshuffled?

3) Mist Giant - With fate, can you re-roll either die before they're assigned?  After they're assigned?  If it's after, and you roll higher than the Mist Giant, do the dice switch?

4) Dark Fey/Basilisk - If you roll doubles, can you then use a fate to re-roll one of the dice?

The expansion looks dangerous... and a lot of fun.  I look forward to playing it!  :)

Edited by Ocelot42, 07 January 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#2 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

I have a few questions about cards from the nether realms:

1) If I'm sitting on Pandora's Box, and I play Goblin Baby/Sepulchre Spectre on someone and the cards in question move to their space, do they then have to encounter all of them, or do they just move to his space?

If he encounters them all, does that include any cards that began on his space?

2) The Gauntlet: If there are enough disastrous attempts at trying to make it to the CoC, does the nether deck get reshuffled?

3) Mist Giant - With fate, can you re-roll either die before they're assigned?  After they're assigned?  If it's after, and you roll higher than the Mist Giant, do the dice switch?

4) Dark Fey/Basilisk - If you roll doubles, can you then use a fate to re-roll one of the dice?

I'll give you my opinion about the first two questions, but I'm not entirely sure. If we're lucky enough, the designer himself will manifest here and share his intentions with us. :D

1) Nether Cards played on a character when Pandora's Box is the Ending are treated just like the character had just drawn them. Perhaps it would be clearer if the card said "on his current space" as well. The Goblin Baby and Sepulchre Spectre are obviously meant to gather all Monsters/Spirits on the game board on the same space to be encountered by the character that has drawn those cards. He probably doesn't get to encounter any other cards on his space, though.

2) I think in this case you're entitled to reshuffle the Nether Deck.

On the last two, we're are talking about known effects from existing cards.

3) Mist Giant works exactly like the Mist Dragon, which was in the Dragon expansion. This is a borderline situation, where the required roll falls under the category 3. Rolling a die due to the instructions on a card or board space. (see rulebook page 6)

Of course rerolls are made before the assignment. However, you're limited to reroll one single die out of the 2 dice and I can't see how this would be of any help. No fate in the world will change the instructions on the card, which assign the higher roll to the Giant and the lower to your character. You can only hope to reduce the gap between the two rolls.

4) You can't spend fate on the dice rolled for the Basilisk, as they are used for its attack roll. The rules forbid such rerolls.

Edited by The_Warlock, 08 January 2014 - 02:00 AM.

#3 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

<manifest>Our resident Warlock is correct, though personally I would have any Monster in the same space as the character join in with his fellow Enemies as it would be reacting in the same way and coming to the aid of the Goblin Baby. I have no problem with playing it either way to be honest.</manifest>

• 0beron likes this
Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#4 Ocelot42

Ocelot42

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the speedy replies.  I look forward to my first chance to try out your cards!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS