• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4592

looks like elves will be a focus of this cycle!

looks like it won't really be a Rohan cycle (which is to be expected, given the previous cycles' player cards not really matching their location) and Secrecy returns!

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 07 January 2014 - 06:09 PM.

• Gizlivadi, Olorin93 and chuckles like this

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

I am in love.......... ;)

naith-guide.png

PS- i have absolutely no idea what was in the article...best go back and read it....

Edited by richsabre, 07 January 2014 - 06:24 PM.

• spalanzani, John85, Gizlivadi and 4 others like this

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

Wow!  Love what Caleb and Matt are doing.  I liked how he discussed developing a thematic core for a trait, so that it has a strong identity and mirrors the role of the race in the books.  The biggest complaint about Gondor, aside from it being underdeveloped, is that it lacks a clear identity.  With one AP, it seems like Silvan will have a clearly defined role in the game.    

And perhaps we got a little foreshadowing of this with Silvan Refugee and Children of the Sea, both of which look a lot more valuable now (though I always liked Silvan Refugee).

• Raven1015, danpoage and chuckles like this

#4 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

That was so amazing!!! I have been patiently controlling my excitement throughout the wait for Voice of Isenguard, but this... this is just too much to handle! I had a feeling that the Elves were the next group to receive some love, and boy are they indeed.  I couldn't be happier with the direction that they're taking with the Silvan trait, and that Celeborn hero.  Wow! 

celeborn.png

Aside from my excitement for the Elven developments, I am happy to see that Secrecy will be getting some added options too, making Hobbits even more enjoyable to hide, seek, and quest as.  

So ready for this year's Lord of the Rings LCG goodness.  :D

Edited by Karlson, 07 January 2014 - 06:30 PM.

• faith_star83 likes this

#5 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

Love the fact that our elves are getting a bit of attention now :)

But the Silvan trait isn’t the only theme being developed in The Ring-maker; there’s so much more to look forward to in this cycle! Where previous cycles dedicated a larger portion of cards to their main themes, the player cards in The Ring-maker provide more of a smattering of Middle-earth in order to introduce several new strategies and revive a few older ones too (Secrecy, anyone?). There’s something for everyone in The Ring-maker!

This made me very happy :)

• spalanzani likes this

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#6 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Awesome ability on Celeborn. This means we might see Lady Galadriel by the end of the cycle. And it seems like there will be a new focus for each AP--so it will not only be Silvan which gets developed but, in Caleb's words, "a smattering of Middle Earth." Secrecy hint as well. Looking forward to this year!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

#7 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

I'm in love as well... of the Silvan cuites and of the whole cycle! Wow, what can I say, first of all, Dunland is one of my absolute favorite places in Middle earth and it's great to see that the first adventure pack will be set there. Plus, the dunlending enemies and "culture" (boar-clan, anyone?) look exactly as I wanted them to be. The silvan trait focus is amazing as well, and the player cards shown in the article look all very playable. I'm extremely excited for this cycle.

Also, Ost-in-Edhil? FFG has heard my prayers!

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#8 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Awesome. This is looking great.

I am really curious to see what spirit has in store. So far no spirit cards have been spoiled in VoI previews or this one. They got the short end of the stick in HoN. Hoping to see some interesting things for that sphere.

If it's as good as what i have seen here it should be amazing.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#9 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

It's raining Elves. I can't wait for this cycle.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#10 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Oh my god, it's 10 out of 10, 10 OUT OF 10!

P.S.: Doomed Tactics card, just as everyone asked for.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#11 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

Looks like Rumil response will not work with lore event The Tree People. Nice to see some willpower for tactics, compare him to Bofur which costs 3 and has one more hit point. Is the ability of Rumil that much stronger? Still thrilled regardless.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#12 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

I'm going to cry I'm so happy...

ELVES MR FRODO!

#13 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

A;LDKFJAL;SKDJFL;KASDJFKL;ASDJFL;KASDJFL;KASDJFL;KASDJFL;ASKDJFL;KASJF;LKASDJF;LASKDJFL;AKDJF;LASDJFL;KASDJFL;KASDJFL;KASDJFL;KASJDFL;KASDJFKL;ASDJFLK;ASJDFLK;ASDJFLK;AJSDFKL;JASDKFLJASLFJLKASDJFLK;ASDJFL;KASDJFLK;ASDJFLKASDJFLK;ASDJFKLAJSDFLKJASDKLFJASDJLF

• Nickpes and Karlson like this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#14 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Looks like Rumil response will not work with lore event The Tree People. Nice to see some willpower for tactics, compare him to Bofur which costs 3 and has one more hit point. Is the ability of Rumil that much stronger? Still thrilled regardless.

I like the card. Better than the Beorning beekeeper at least. Assuming you have Legolas it'll be at least 2 damage which is decent. 

#15 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

Also, Ost-in-Edhil? FFG has heard my prayers!

Absolutely, the history of Eregion is one of my favorite parts of the lore. Caleb and Matt have done their homework and are going deep into the lore. Ost-in-Edhil played a major role in the manufacture of the rings of power and the battle against Sauron, but also in the alienation of the local peoples of the area who later became the Dunlendings. The thematic synergy here is nice and I can't wait to read the story that FFG has written for this cycle. Hopefully we'll see a bit more of the area of Eregion, I'd especially like to see the ruins of Tharbad.

I was already excited for this cycle before and I'm over the top excited now.

#16 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

My elves deck (which is my favorite to play) is excited. I hope we see a neutral elven card or two.

But... Celeborn Silvan? What am I missing?

Also, I hope they tie off the few loose ends of the Dunedain cards.

Great job FFG!
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#17 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

I think Pharmsboys said it best.

Also, "Secrecy, anyone?"  Looks like some designers have been paying attention :)

#18 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

I'm glad they haven't abandoned secrecy. I hate when a CCG abandons support for a deficient game mechanic and you're stuck with a whole bunch of cards you'll rarely (or never) use. I trust that Caleb and Matt have taken a hard look at secrecy, identified its weaknesses and now the mechanic will be resurrected in grand style!

Plus... more mount support? I'm very curious.

#19 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

Absolutely, the history of Eregion is one of my favorite parts of the lore. Caleb and Matt have done their homework and are going deep into the lore. Ost-in-Edhil played a major role in the manufacture of the rings of power and the battle against Sauron, but also in the alienation of the local peoples of the area who later became the Dunlendings. The thematic synergy here is nice and I can't wait to read the story that FFG has written for this cycle. Hopefully we'll see a bit more of the area of Eregion, I'd especially like to see the ruins of Tharbad.

Agreed, agreed. Add to that my hopes for magic ring attachments (either rings of power or just lesser magic rings) and maybe even some lost seeing-stones. 

#20 John85

John85

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

But... Celeborn Silvan? What am I missing?

I thought the same thing, so I did a little research.

He's listed alternately as Sindarin (earlier) and Telerin (later, maybe). The former seems to be more canonical and is also what Legolas and Thranduil are (even though the former is traited Silvan in the game, probably because they lived with/ruled Silvan elves). I suspect they decided to make it easy and make him Silvan like Leg's rather than introduce another Elf race into the game.

Maybe someone more qualified would care to weigh in, rich? Gizli?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS