Can Mono bullets be a thing

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

Nope; I used surprise, with aiming, accurate weapons, deadeye shot for a -10 to called shot instead of -20 and shooting at the unprotected head- oh and a  bonus for being on the third floor of a building while you were in the streets. hence why they had something around a 75% chance to hit.

Well, you were informed that a rogue element was disguised and active on the planet where the Inquisitor suddenly disappeared without any warning; perhaps I wasn't too direct with the "be discreet" credo, but I figured you would at least try something; and do recall the team back then; Sororitas with a jetpack and power armour, Tech-Priest, Psyker with force scythe, and assassin in a bodysuit..sorta stands out on a world where everyone is a dirty peasant covered in ****..

• Darth Smeg likes this

#62 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

sorta stands out on a world where everyone is a dirty peasant covered in ****..

10 meters from the local spaceport?

No worries, though; unfortunately I did not enjoy the class mechanics of the BoM SoB a lot (part of my dislike for that book), compared to my experience with the older IH version, so I was not overly attached to that character. My only regret is that I never got to try out that fancy jump pack, for that one's rules actually looked fairly interesting!

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia)

#63 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

Actually, the spaceport was out at sea, about an hour or two boat ride to reach the city you were in.

Yeah the SoB on BoM was a bit off.  While it was a nice addition, it was a little too..secular an archetype to be part of a flexible acolyte cell, especially one with a vain assassin, a TP and a gentle old-man Psyker..who ended up gaining 38 000 Thrones while gambling around town gathering info.

#64 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

I don't recall that boat ride (or rather, I recall it from a different campaign) - but then again, I don't have absolute trust in my own memory.

My criticism on the BoM SoB had nothing to do with the character per se, though, it just felt less like a warrior than the IH version, presumably because the poor advancement scheme was supposed to balance the ridiculously high-tiered starter gear. I really think Black Industries had the right idea with a Novice that started out low, but had better opportunities to grow. Both mechanically, as well as in terms of character development.

For our Cell specifically, I suppose it was a poorly chosen character (not in the least because of the Psyker); a decision born out of my intense interest at giving this new book and this new class a try. It didn't pay off, but of course that's only in hindsight now. I have a feeling my Assassin would've fared better, especially given the many disguises and aliases collected over time - then again, the mindwipe we considered after the "contamination" would've probably caused the character to be a bit creepy as opposed to the old cheerful self. :lol:

Ah, good old times...

previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia)

#65 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, the boat ride was a one-liner thing, as it went calmly; thought I think someone got sick along the way as well..but I'm not too sure at this time...

Well, with what, 200-300 xp per sessions, and the lowest skill bieng around that for the SoB, advancement was going to be way slower than your "normal" acolyte where the average skill/talent is 100-200XP, I saw it more that people would have fallen bakc on the top notch gear instead of skills/talents to get that character working.  Thougth even when you were diguised as a flapper girl, the char proved to be competent..but yet again, that was thanks to characteristics rather than skills..

At least you (unfortunately) managed to dodge the whole "Tracking the Gloom Haunt" thing they're doing right now, getting into fire fights and threatning journalists..that jetpack would have been good for those roof top chases.

Edited by Braddoc, 30 January 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#66 Leto

Leto

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

I dunno why you want Mono-bullets, it sound rather stupid, besides, you already got manstoppers and other kinds.

But you, of course, can have mono on primitive weapons and ammo. Like arrows and bolts. Maybe more advanced ammo in muskets, but this will actually cost you. And if you really need some special ammo, you can have a look in the other books, there's plenty to choose from.

#67 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Ammo in Dark Heresy was X Thrones per clip, right? In that case, the upgrade applying to an entire quiver would make sense!

Nope, it was X thrones per round, though really common types of ammo likes arrows, bullets, and shotgun shells were 1 throne for 20 rounds. Compared to, say, a bolt shell, which was 16 thrones for 1 round.

I also don't see why people still want mono bullets. Manstoppers are armor-piercing rounds and fill that niche quite nicely. Unless you're trying to make a shotgun shell that fires razor wire or something, but I think that would wreck the barrel of whatever it's fired from.

Edited by Boss Gitsmasha, 30 January 2014 - 01:23 PM.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#68 Pixels The Red

Pixels The Red

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

Eldar Shuriken Weaponry is basically firing mono bullets. There

#69 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

I also don't see why people still want mono bullets. Manstoppers are armor-piercing rounds and fill that niche quite nicely.

Exactly, but I suppose a lot of people (like me) got confused by the term. Manstoppers in real life have nothing whatsoever to do with armour penetration but stopping power, hence the name, and Dum dums are just a type of manstoppers - however, in DH (and Inquisitor, which started the error) they are two different types of ammo. Given the mechanical effect, one could easily say that Manstoppers = Mono bullets.

Oh, and thanks for the reminder about ammo cost; I'm on vacation and do not have any of the books with me.

Unless you're trying to make a shotgun shell that fires razor wire or something, but I think that would wreck the barrel of whatever it's fired from.

Don't give people ideas, else some smart guy ends up attempting to re-create the two-stage mechanic of bolt rounds with a shotgun shell of comparable calibre, just swapping the rocket motor for an explosive payload that catapults a set of wire forward, triggering after the projectile has cleared the barrel.

You know how some of those Tech-Priests and weaponmongers are. ;)

Edited by Lynata, 30 January 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#70 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

I also don't see why people still want mono bullets. Manstoppers are armor-piercing rounds and fill that niche quite nicely.

Exactly, but I suppose a lot of people (like me) got confused by the term. Manstoppers in real life have nothing whatsoever to do with armour penetration but stopping power, hence the name, and Dum dums are just a type of manstoppers - however, in DH (and Inquisitor, which started the error) they are two different types of ammo. Given the mechanical effect, one could easily say that Manstoppers = Mono bullets.

Oh, and thanks for the reminder about ammo cost; I'm on vacation and do not have any of the books with me.

Then call them Armor-Piercing rounds or Penetrators (hurr hurr) instead. Clips in real life are not detachable box magazines, despite what the (often inaccurate) game terminology tells you.

Also, fun fact: Dum-dums are named after an arms factory in India.

Unless you're trying to make a shotgun shell that fires razor wire or something, but I think that would wreck the barrel of whatever it's fired from.

Don't give people ideas, else some smart guy ends up attempting to re-create the two-stage mechanic of bolt rounds with a shotgun shell of comparable calibre, just swapping the rocket motor for an explosive payload that catapults a set of wire forward, triggering after the projectile has cleared the barrel.

You know how some of those Tech-Priests and weaponmongers are. ;)

Again, I point to the Bloodshard shells used by the Blood Angels. And since some quasi-hereteks managed to make bolt shells that can be fired from a shotgun...

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#71 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:38 AM

Then call them Armor-Piercing rounds or Penetrators (hurr hurr) instead.

We could, but we could also call them Mono bullets and avoid people posting questions like the one that led to this topic.

It's kind of a two birds with one stone deal, the way I see it. ;)

Either way, of course it's something that each group needs to decide for themselves.

#72 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

I disagree with explosive arrows in general, but if you must, just strap a krak grenade to the tip of your arrow. Quick and easy.

Far too heavy to be effective.

Absolutely. Most explosive arrow designs are.

What am I missing here? Aren't Man-stoppers analogous to Mono?

I believe that was suggested on the first page. Second post IIRC. Why is this silly topic still around?

Thats why I say, the bow should be made mono and not the arrows.

So basically the DH special snowflake bow (like Elf Bow in WHFRP1)?

Clearly - because that's just silly.

That being said, and tying into the following quote, one could also make "mono-arrows" cheaper by reasoning that prepping a small dagger-like point isn't as expensive as treating the entire length of a large blade. Maybe you can even slip a bit on quality because the arrow is meant to only be used once, meaning that no-one cares if the arrow would irraviably lose its Mono trait after the 3rd or 4th shot, whereas "true" mono blades are expected to persist.

... and now you made me miss Shadowrun and DikoteTM :mellow: :rolleyes:

• Lynata likes this

#73 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

What am I missing here? Aren't Man-stoppers analogous to Mono?

I believe that was suggested on the first page. Second post IIRC. Why is this silly topic still around?

Because people don't read the previous pages? :P

• Teyacapan likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS