Can Mono bullets be a thing

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

Mono in this sense is just a synonym for high-tech. Dont take "mono" literally.

Having said that, I think to make things easier, only weapons should get that upgrade, not ammunition. The weapons get enabled to deal their damage more efficiently. There is already special ammunition, this can somehow be seen as advanted "mono"versions of standard ammunition.

In this way, it would be nice to be allowed to also use this upgrade on low-tech ranged weapons. It would be cool to have modern-version bows, crossbows and muskets.
And it would still not be a game breaker, as most dont have more damage than 1d10.

Respect your brothers and you will also be respected.

#42 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

In this way, it would be nice to be allowed to also use this upgrade on low-tech ranged weapons. It would be cool to have modern-version bows, crossbows and muskets.

We already have modern version muskets. They're called 'autoguns' and 'hunting rifles'.

#43 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

We already have modern version muskets. They're called 'autoguns' and 'hunting rifles'.

I'd prefer classical design though. Looks much cooler - especially if playing Rogue Trader.

#44 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

http://forprofitandp...ces.com/Horatio

For the Arch Militant with a sense of style.

:D

Edited by Lynata, 27 January 2014 - 12:42 PM.

• Braddoc likes this
current 40k RPG character: Captain Elias, Celestial Lions Tactical Marine   
previous characters: Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader frigate Artemisia)

#45 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

I'd prefer classical design though. Looks much cooler - especially if playing Rogue Trader.

Then get an autogun or hunting rifle that looks like an old-fashioned musket. Hell, there's probably some crazy Archmilitant that has a long-las that looks like a jezail.

... Excuse me, I just had an idea for a Tallarn Archmilitant.

• Tenebrae and Lynata like this

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#46 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

Then get an autogun or hunting rifle that looks like an old-fashioned musket.

Exactly. You can afford it.

#47 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

Thats not really the same.

Someone with style would know that.

#48 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

No comment.

#49 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

6AcBPFp.jpg

• GauntZero likes this

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#50 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

Style left aside, a mono-bow as autogun isnt really possible atm ;)

Muskets maybe, but not a bow. Allowing a pen +2 non-primitive bow would be nice, having some modern kind of accelerator or whatever. Explosive arrows would have to be buffed then though (giving tearing and blast maybe ?).

#51 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

Allowing a pen +2 non-primitive bow would be nice, having some modern kind of accelerator or whatever. Explosive arrows would have to be buffed then though (giving tearing and blast maybe ?).

Unless you houserule that thrown mono knives lose their Pen, I don't see why you'd need an accelerator to replicate the +2 Pen on "mono-tipped arrows" - although it sounds like an option, similar to the "pneumatic" thing that was used as a way of adding Mono to hammers. :)

As for explosive arrows, Tearing sounds good - it'd be a nice tie-in to bolt rounds and actually bring a bit of system into what looks rather arbitrary now. Maybe add a small raw damage boost, too?

Edited by Lynata, 29 January 2014 - 05:54 AM.

previous characters: Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader frigate Artemisia)

#52 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

Muskets maybe, but not a bow. Allowing a pen +2 non-primitive bow would be nice, having some modern kind of accelerator or whatever. Explosive arrows would have to be buffed then though (giving tearing and blast maybe ?).

I don't have a problem with mono arrows, quarrels or thrown knives.

Monobullets though :huh:

I disagree with explosive arrows in general, but if you must, just strap a krak grenade to the tip of your arrow. Quick and easy.

#53 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

I don't have a problem with mono arrows, quarrels or thrown knives.

Monobullets though :huh:

I disagree with explosive arrows in general, but if you must, just strap a krak grenade to the tip of your arrow. Quick and easy.

Far too heavy to be effective.

#54 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Allowing a pen +2 non-primitive bow would be nice, having some modern kind of accelerator or whatever. Explosive arrows would have to be buffed then though (giving tearing and blast maybe ?).

Unless you houserule that thrown mono knives lose their Pen, I don't see why you'd need an accelerator to replicate the +2 Pen on "mono-tipped arrows" - although it sounds like an option, similar to the "pneumatic" thing that was used as a way of adding Mono to hammers. :)

As for explosive arrows, Tearing sounds good - it'd be a nice tie-in to bolt rounds and actually bring a bit of system into what looks rather arbitrary now. Maybe add a small raw damage boost, too?

Instead of a damage boost, I'd add Blast (1) to tearing.

If you also allow mono-arrows, you have 1d10, Pen 2, non-primitive with tearing & explosive

#55 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

In DH1, the Mono upgrade costs 40 Gelt. That's an expensive quiver of arrows you have there. 

What am I missing here? Aren't Man-stoppers analogous to Mono?

• Darth Smeg likes this

=][=

#56 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Thats why I say, the bow should be made mono and not the arrows.

#57 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Thats why I say, the bow should be made mono and not the arrows.

So basically the DH special snowflake bow (like Elf Bow in WHFRP1)?

=][=

#58 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

I dunno. It would be nice for the players, but technically it could be the reason why it isn't really done except in edge cases, for people who have too much money to spend.

That being said, and tying into the following quote, one could also make "mono-arrows" cheaper by reasoning that prepping a small dagger-like point isn't as expensive as treating the entire length of a large blade. Maybe you can even slip a bit on quality because the arrow is meant to only be used once, meaning that no-one cares if the arrow would irraviably lose its Mono trait after the 3rd or 4th shot, whereas "true" mono blades are expected to persist.

What am I missing here? Aren't Man-stoppers analogous to Mono?

Quite so - honestly, a lot of needless confusion would be solved just by renaming "Manstoppers", especially given that Dum-dums are the true manstoppers. There's a reason bullets are called that way, and increased armour penetration isn't it.

Here's a thought:

- rename Manstoppers to Mono Shot

- make Mono arrows as expensive as the old Manstopper rounds? :P

#59 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

DID SOMEONE SAY "MONO ARROWS"?!?!?!?!"?!?

So back a mission in my campaign, and Lynata can testify to this, Mockingbird  (The clever code name for the player's cell) was strolling in a feudal world city without even bothering to wear disguises or alter their appearance.  So naturally, the secessionists operating in the city easily saw them and send their trio of bowmen after them.  They managed to take a few (head)shots while the acolytes were in a crowded plaza (bows are silent wouldn't ya know) before people panicked with the subsequent gunshots from the PCs, but not before having a few people in the crits.

Anyways, long story short, they learned the value of disguises and being discreet.  Second, They fear bows as they fear the Tech-Priest with grenades.  Third, those arrows were simply made of 'modern' Imperial material, and while not having any pen value, where still considered non-primitive.  So that's might be a way to get 'better' arrows (as your modern hunting arrows are far more sharp than your medieval arrows, not to mention the numerous types of arrow heads they invented to speed up bleeding, slice veins and pierce through tough animal hide.)

Mono arrows?  Personally, that's a bit stretching it, but it can always be done yes; perhaps a single mono upgrade for a  full quiver?

EDIT: also, check out the compound bow; 40m range, 1d10+2, Pen 1 AND accurate to booth; who needs another bow after you get that one (Basic bow being 30m, 1d10, reliable; both are primitive as well)

Edited by Braddoc, 29 January 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#60 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

Didn't you use Horde rules for those guys, actually? I remember dying in a single round of combat.

I also still blame faulty intelligence for not alerting us to the actual threat level. We didn't don any disguise because we simply didn't expect that randomly arriving travellers in assorted Imperial clothes would be fired at on sight, simply because it was an Imperial world where people in these clothes could be expected on the streets. It's not like we were brandishing Inquisitorial insignia or anything.

Still have fond memories of all the grenade-fumbles, though. Had quite a few laughs there. :lol:

Ammo in Dark Heresy was X Thrones per clip, right? In that case, the upgrade applying to an entire quiver would make sense!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS