• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Proxies!

That is what they are called, right? I guess you do not like that idea. Do you think it should be limited to one core set?
No sir, I do not. The rules clearly allow me three copies of a card in my deck.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#22 Zjb12

Zjb12

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Okay, so here's my crazy thought: you have your scenario, then within each scenario, you have multiple ways to play: Easy: open; restricted. Normal: open; restricted; 52 Card Pick-Up. Nightmare: open.

Open means all cards can be used, up to 3 copies of a card, minimum 50 card deck.

Restricted means 1 core set; and only cards printed through the end of the cycle from which the scenario comes, min. 50 card deck.

52 Card Pick-up: fun way to play. Deck size 52 cards; made up of no more than 1 copy of each card, all cards usable. (also encourages some of us to break away and use some cards we don't usually use and learn to try out some new tricks.)

Time frame: open and updated either as scores come in or maybe 1x a week on a given day.

Games: 3 games, played with the same deck and heroes, no changes in between. Record scores and losses.

Scoring: normal games scoring for each game. Use RGun scoring (juicebox's) to Account for losses.

#23 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

Many people have 2 core sets, so what category do they fall under? Open or restricted?

Also just because someone used 3 core sets to construct a deck does not mean that the deck will get a better score than a deck with just one set, so I don't really like the idea of breaking up quest results into a lot of subcategories. I'm fine with it either way since I am probably not the one that has to organize the data, which seems like more work with more categories. If you want to do it that way that's fine. I'll probably just be entering 3 core set data, because it is a pain to remember how many copies of which cards we got with one set. To me it seems easier to ask a player with one core set to play with proxies of a few cards they don't have then to ask a 3 core set player to remember which cards came with just one set

So far this thread and the other you created are getting very little attention. Maybe more people are interested and they are just waiting for someone to get the ball rolling. I wonder if there is also some resistance from payers being asked to limit the card pool to a cycle. With all the new cards coming out very soon, and the ones we just got, it may not be that exciting to go back and play older scenarios with a smaller card pool.

So, my suggestion would be to start this thing off slow, in bite sized chunks. Maybe just stick with last cycle and HoN, and then once players get into it we can start work on setting up the older cycles and then the new cycle. If we start with something that is current, player involvement might be higher, and it might be a good time to kick this off as we wait for VoI to show up.

Basically, we can say we're restarting the old tournament with HoN and AtS. You might eve want to start with Just HoN to see if anyone participates as a test. Players can use 3 copies of any card in a Minimum 50 card deck. Use Rgun formula and post your results in a thread for that scenario. You will have to explain the tournament ranking system and things like that. If your getting some scores then open up the rest of the cycle, and hopefully by that point enough momentum would be gained for players to go back and play some of the older quests with a smaller card pool.

Maybe we should inform people this is a trial run to the beginning of February, and if little participation is shown then it's probably not what the community wants.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#24 Zjb12

Zjb12

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

I know we can edit these posts now, versus say 2-3 years ago, but how did Juicebox put links into his other threads within the tournament rankings page?  Just trying to figure out some posting issues if we did hold a tournament.

Edited by Zjb12, 12 January 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#25 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

So far this thread and the other you created are getting very little attention. Maybe more people are interested and they are just waiting for someone to get the ball rolling. I wonder if there is also some resistance from payers being asked to limit the card pool to a cycle. With all the new cards coming out very soon, and the ones we just got, it may not be that exciting to go back and play older scenarios with a smaller card pool.

It is just a thought, but the thread is located in the Player Community sub-forum, so many people might not even see it, also me I didn't check this particular sub-forum too often, because I tought it was just for player-meetups.

As for the tourney itself, I think keeping it as simple as possible is important for the beginning. The rules can still be adapted for better experience once the first results come in. Too complicated / restrictive rules might disencourage players from participating.

I think Tracker1's suggestion to start out with the HoN Box and gather some first experiences as a sort of test-run is excellent. Also advertising the tourney on other forums might be a good idea. Maybe one of the bloggers would even feature an article.

It would be nice to get the community together for such a tourney again.

#26 Weatherman Dan

Weatherman Dan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Just picked the game back up myself about a month ago and would love to do something like this. It is a great chance to play matches and enjoy some competition at the same time. Keep me up to date on what you guys decide to do as I would love to participate. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS