On Forge Worlds, tithing, and the Imperial Guard

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 svstrauser

svstrauser

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

At least in my games I play them like this. 

Every sector, and in some cases subsectors or even  specific forgeworlds, have their own traditions and rules. Therefore, each one has their own different kind of Skitarii.

Actually, with very few exceptions to rules that encompass the full Imperium, I do this for most aspects of the setting.

It's a good approach to take - why do you think the 40kRPs always have their own sectors? A corner of space unique to each RPG, allowing FFG to detail things without having to make sweeping declarations about the whole setting (which, amongst other things, speeds up approvals - defining something as specific to the RPG 'sandbox' means that GW is much more likely to give it the thumbs up.

That's what I love about WH40K against, say, Star Wars.

Ironically, although the Imperium is a massive, monolithic, overbearing government, WH40K is not a massive, monolithic, overbearing setting.

Each sector, subsector and planet has their own culture, it's like the game has multiple different settings with some constant points linking them.

Although many fans of the settings dislike Abnett's books, I love them because of this. They show the width of the Imperium, it's many cultures, even in just one small part of the Imperium.

• Cymbel, Ghaundan, dava100 and 2 others like this

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

#22 svstrauser

svstrauser

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

I know this a little out of topic, and pre-emptively apologize to KarmicCycle for it, but what would you gentlemen say you see as fixed constants in the WH40K setting and, more importantly, what have you created in your games as distinctive cultural characteristics to give character to different areas of the Imperium?

#23 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

I'm in the process of creating a philosophical faction of the Inquisition (considered to be Radical) that theorizes correctly that the Emperor is not a god and that if he were to see the current state of things today, he would be abhorred at the sight. Of course this is an ultra secret motive. They currently seek evidence of this.

This faction would exist on the fringes of the Imperium though.

• Radwraith and svstrauser like this

#24 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

I have also considered that this faction would go out looking for one of the lost Primarchs to prove their belief once and for all.

#25 svstrauser

svstrauser

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

I think they would get along very well with the Thousand Sons!

#26 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

It is a fine line between truth and heresy after all. Or perhaps a lost primarch is already strategically behind this group in the first place, plotting to restore the Emperor's original view of order to the Imperium. Would would the original primarchs even think of this current incarnation of the Imperium?

• svstrauser likes this

#27 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

I've been wanting to run a campaign where the players play members of the Inquisition as well as a Deathwatch group. Both parties would take place in different places, yet their destinies are intertwined and if they do things correctly, they could stumble upon a "smoking gun" piece of evidence.

#28 svstrauser

svstrauser

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

I've been wanting to run a campaign where the players play members of the Inquisition as well as a Deathwatch group. Both parties would take place in different places, yet their destinies are intertwined and if they do things correctly, they could stumble upon a "smoking gun" piece of evidence.

This sounds cool! I love these crossover scenarios.

I've always wanted to do an Ascension game with a Rogue Trader, an Inquisitor and a lone DW Astartes.

I know, I know, it sounds a little like a bar joke, but I think it would be awesome!

• Elior likes this

#29 Storm6436

Storm6436

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

This sounds cool! I love these crossover scenarios.

I've always wanted to do an Ascension game with a Rogue Trader, an Inquisitor and a lone DW Astartes.

I know, I know, it sounds a little like a bar joke, but I think it would be awesome!

The campaign I'm currently running started out DH, moved to Ascension.   Gist of the DH/Ascension game was that their Inquisitor was involved in one of the internecine wars common with the Inquisition.  They spent more time hunting down other inquisitorial henchmen than they did investigating chaos, heretics, and the like.

Eventually, their inquisitor slipped up, got herself killed, and her primary opponent scooped the party to try them for heresy and treason.  Courts Martial gets interrupted, and during their escape, the party psyker stole a stasis tube from the inquisitor's trophy room while everyone else was stealing weapons/ammo.   Tube was originally recovered from a hulk, but no one could open it (psy-locked).   

Tube had a warrant of trade circa M30-31 in it, which the party let the psyker register, and things have progressed since then.  She recently bribed, I mean, paid the munitorium to "lease" an imperial guard regiment.

Mainline campaign is the DH/AS folks who have moved to a RT-style game, "tactical" campaign is all OW characters assigned to the main campaign's rogue trader. 

Juggling rules got really tedious, so starting shortly after we added RT to the mix, I started doing work to provide a unified system.  OW gave me some inspiration, so now, technically, we're operating under a unified ruleset that seems to work pretty well so far.   Been reading the Beta stuff for ideas to integrate.

Edited by Storm6436, 21 January 2014 - 02:54 PM.

• svstrauser and Elior like this

#30 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

I think it might be kind of cool; the Acolytes are about investigation, stealth, and sabotage, with a smattering of desperate gunfights, and pave the way for the Marines to barge in and wreck faces. While they're on their mission, the Marines discover an additional clue that furthers the mystery, which sends the Acolytes on another investigation… etc. etc. If you're running a Malleus campaign you might even get the Grey Knights involved, though the Acolytes might be deemed too dangerous to be kept alive in the end, by virtue of knowing too much... unless they're so ridiculously badass the Inquisitor decides they're worth the risk.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS