• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#1 dava100

dava100

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

Hey all,

I only ever GM'd dark heresy but would love to actually play a PC in the game so I am looking for a group if any are available to play by post?

I am an experienced roleplayer and have played various PnP RPGs for over 25 years and have also been into 40k for just as long. If there are any GMs that are interested you should be aware that I have GM'd all the printed books (with my own spin) so ideally so I would be looking for a campaign that is home brewed.

Someone please help me have a player character in Dark Heresy!!

Edited by dava100, 04 January 2014 - 08:40 PM.

• svstrauser likes this

Thought begets heresy. Heresy begets retribution.

#2 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

I am getting to like PbP currently during the Beta of DH2.

So if we were getting enough players willing to regularly post (2-3 times a day) over a longer period of time, I'd be willing to GM.

As I am no native english speaker though, you'd have to life with some mistakes in my texts ;)

Ruleset: DH2 Beta incl. Update 6

Edited by GauntZero, 12 January 2014 - 12:00 PM.

• svstrauser, dava100, pearldrum1 and 1 other like this

Respect your brothers and you will also be respected.

#3 dava100

dava100

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

That sounds great to me, I would be able to post 2-3 times a day the majority of the time.

As you are wanting to use the beta rules do you require anyone interested to also have access to them (I have a copy)?

Also how many players would you want?

I am itching make a character now even though we don't have any other players  :D . Which rules would you be using for stats; point buy or rolling?

Thank you for being willing to GM  :wub:

#4 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

The number of player characters should be between 3-5, in an ideal case 4.

As rolling for stats feels unfair for me, I would prefer point allocation.

One exception though:
No characteristc value may exist twice.
E.g. agility and toughness both being at 40 would not be ok - having 41 and 40 would be ok.

#5 dava100

dava100

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

As rolling for stats feels unfair for me, I would prefer point allocation.
One exception though:
No characteristc value may exist twice.
E.g. agility and toughness both being at 40 would not be ok - having 41 and 40 would be ok.

Fine with me.

Who else is up for playing a play by post? We have 1 GM and 1 player so far so looking for 2 to 3 more players!

Edited by dava100, 13 January 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#6 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

I'd be willing to play! I'm the gm for our group and have only played one DH session as a player character. I tend to think up a good background story for my characters and find a way to create them within the system, so I'm very unlikely to play a brutally optimized killing machine.

What sort of tone are you looking to hit in this game? Should I make a serious character or can they provide a bit of comic relief (within reason)?

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#7 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

As I am in parallel playing the betas test campaign with +25 characters, I would like to give it a try with novice acolytes this time.

Spoken in point allocation terms:

- each characteristic starts with 25 ("-" with 20, "+" with 30)

- 60 points may be allocated

- no characteristic may end up higher than 40

- no 2 characteristics may end up with the same value

From the style, I prefer to mix that a little, if our campaign will be long enough.

So, I like to use investigation, combat, social encounters & physical challenges.

I would like to play with the following house rules:

1.) DoS/DoF calculation as in OW (per 10 difference)

2.) Called Shots is only a half action instead of a full action; Eye of Vengeance is compatible with called shots

3.) Felling also has an effect on enemies who do not have Unnatural Toughness (counts as -X/2 (rounded up) TB against the hit)

4.) To drop an overheating weapon in time you need an successful Agility (+0) test

5.) Carrying limits (incl. Lifting & Pushing limits) go 1 step down (characters can carry, lift etc. less)

6.) the number of possible cybernetics (incl. limbs) is limited to Toughness Bonus; every additional cybernetic creates 1d10 Insanity points; if you have Mechanicus Implants, they do not count towards this limit and allows a willpower test to avoid insanity points; cybernetic limbs etc. also count as cybernetics; best craftmanship cybernetics do not count towards the limit, good craftmanship count half, poor craftmanship counts double

7.) Bulging Biceps remains on a -10 penalty; basic accurate weapons need to be braced to benefit from bonus damage (bulging biceps does not work here)

8.) Feint steals the reaction if used and is WS versus Intelligence instead of WS versus WS

9.) the Peer talent increases Influence by 1 each time it is bought; the bonus on Influence with the Peer talents may not be greater than 10 in total

10.) The Leadership aptitude counts as an alternative to psyker for willpower increases

--> Willpower aptitudes: Willpower & Psyker OR Leadership

Is there any Ordo preferred ?

Calixis or Askellon Sektor ?

Edited by GauntZero, 13 January 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#8 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

Ooh, I like that Leadership can be used to buy WP advances. I may have to borrow that for my own game :)

I would prefer to play as an Ordo Xenos Acolyte because my group encounters xenos-type enemies very infrequently, but I am flexible.

I have no sector preference -- both Calixis and Askellon are fine by me.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#9 dava100

dava100

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

I am happy to use those house rules.

I do not mind which Ordo or sector we use.

#10 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

Great to hear ! Then we just need 1-2 more players to go !

#11 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

I'd be more than happy to play with these rules-- I'm a fairly new Dark Heresy player, so I'd love to have the chance to play under a different GM to see how different styles pan out. No preferences towards Ordo, or sector. So far I've only played in Calixis, so make of that what you will.

Though I'm afraid I don't have access to a copy of the DH2 Beta, and I've never done a point allocation system I'm afraid, so I may need someone to either walk me through the updated system (and Point Allocation) or point me in the general direction of where I could acquire the DH2 Beta rules (if walking me through, PM's would probably be most efficient).

If that doesn't work out for you, or you want a more experienced player (no worries if that's the case!) I'm sure someone more experienced than I will jump in soon enough.

Edited by ColArana, 13 January 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#12 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

I'd be more than happy to play with these rules-- I'm a fairly new Dark Heresy player, so I'd love to have the chance to play under a different GM to see how different styles pan out. No preferences towards Ordo, or sector. So far I've only played in Calixis, so make of that what you will.

Though I'm afraid I don't have access to a copy of the DH2 Beta, and I've never done a point allocation system I'm afraid, so I may need someone to either walk me through the updated system (and Point Allocation) or point me in the general direction of where I could acquire the DH2 Beta rules (if walking me through, PM's would probably be most efficient).

If that doesn't work out for you, or you want a more experienced player (no worries if that's the case!) I'm sure someone more experienced than I will jump in soon enough.

There's a fee ($20 IIRC) to purchase a copy of the Beta PDF, which can be found through the links towards the bottom of this page: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4518

If you buy into the Beta, you'll get a discount on the PDF version of the Core Rulebook when it's released to the public equal to the cost of the Beta.

There are update documents on the DH2 Second Edition Beta support page -- the most recent one is Update #6.

#13 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:11 AM

I'd be more than happy to play with these rules-- I'm a fairly new Dark Heresy player, so I'd love to have the chance to play under a different GM to see how different styles pan out. No preferences towards Ordo, or sector. So far I've only played in Calixis, so make of that what you will. Though I'm afraid I don't have access to a copy of the DH2 Beta, and I've never done a point allocation system I'm afraid, so I may need someone to either walk me through the updated system (and Point Allocation) or point me in the general direction of where I could acquire the DH2 Beta rules (if walking me through, PM's would probably be most efficient). If that doesn't work out for you, or you want a more experienced player (no worries if that's the case!) I'm sure someone more experienced than I will jump in soon enough.

You are very welcome !

Experience isnt the most important thing.
As long as you participate in having fun, post regularly and play fair, nothing should stop you :)

Buying the book is recommended (see posted link) if this is possible for you.

For rolling i usually let everyone roll by himself as long as i do not get the feeling that someone cheats (you get a feeling for that after some time).

Is there any special subforum we should use for the game ?

Edited by GauntZero, 14 January 2014 - 05:16 AM.

#14 dava100

dava100

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

I hadn't thought about how we would run it but I guess a forum would be a good place. I have no experience of setting up a forum but after having a look at some results in google it looks like there are some free services like ProBoards. Does anyone have any experience of setting up a forum, things to be aware of and to avoid?

I would be happy to try and set something up if you don't want to Gaunt?

Edited by dava100, 14 January 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#15 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Thats something we could do.

I asked Tim though if it somehow would be possible to get a subforum for play-by-post here in the forum.

If the reply is positive, we could play here.

If its negative it would be great if you could set-up something.

For the moment though, player finding and character creation has priority ;)

#16 dava100

dava100

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

Covered in weasels and I are already working on characters. We have pm'd each other with a few character ideas more so we don't end up with a group of 4 tech priests! I will be sending you something soon for your approval.

#17 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

Great idea.

I will post a layout for characters later on to have a unified layout.

#18 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Unfortunately, it seems that the Dark Heresy 2 Beta is no longer available (Beta Testing itself seems to have ended about a week ago), and as terms of service prevent sharing, it seems I'm not going to be able to acquire a proper rulebook for this. So it looks like I'll have to withdraw. 

#19 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

The general rules are very similar to OW.

If someone helps you with character creation, it should work.

#20 svstrauser

svstrauser

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

So, is there still an opening in this table for a humble Acolyte? ^^

that is, if you can tolerate my sense of humour.

• Covered in Weasels likes this

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS