#1 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

Look at this: 

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4590

What do you think?

Darn, to be honest I'm really questioning the decision to make Grima a hero... But I guess it's still pretty valid. The thing is that while I get Grima wasn't always evil is because in the books ever since we meet him he's evil so it makes me think that Tolkien makes this character evil in his very nature aand thus making the idea a bit too fan-fiction-ish, but I guess if you stretch the imagination is possible. Either way thematically, he's actually a pretty good hero! Reducing the cost of pretty cheap events is great, but it's still and action and not a response, still, it's lore so he works great with Strider. 

Now that I think of it, you could interpret the Grima thing in a completely different way, and think it like a new "faction" in the game, like when in Meccg you could play as a fallen wizard, those were the kind of "heroes" you could use, so it kiiiinda could be comparable to that.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

very nice cards there. yeah, it is an intriguing descision, i really cant remember much about grima as i have read TT far less than fellowship......

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

But I guess that also now you can make Lore Rohan decks, which is nice, and also more Isengard trait!

#4 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Yeah I love anything that expands deck building options in interesting ways and I love that Caleb (and Feonix) take such great care with the theme.

A+

Hopefully the box itself will deliver.

• danpoage likes this

The Grey Company; Master of Lore; & Frebooter Kommand are all things I work on.

#5 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Grima as a hero (or villain)... Wow!  I never once thought of that possibility.  However, after reading the article, I really like the idea for a couple reasons.  First of all, this pre-LotR main storyline expansion is perhaps the only time we could conceivably receive Grima as a hero since he does indeed become evil not long afterwards.  Secondly, this game as a whole hopefully has a long life ahead of it; thus, we have plenty of time to see the more prominent characters receive hero status that we have yet to see (or other sphere incarnations of existing heroes.)  Now is the perfect time to put both Grima and Saruman in the card pool.  I have already imagined a thematic White Council deck for Escape from Dol Guldur but that's an altogether different topic.

So, overall I am pleasantly surprised at this possibly controversial decision to create a hero version of Grima (before he becomes Wormtongue.)  Likewise, throughout the article I was also thinking of how effective Strider will be now with the increased prevalence of the Doomed trait.  

#6 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

I'd absolutely like to have hero versions of the wizards, it's just that it'd be really difficult to make them equal or just not better than their Ally counterparts since they're already pretty powerful. But I could perfectly see it. Doesn't have to be something so grand, just could be something simple and yet good, like many heores we have already.

#7 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Finally a thematic use for Gleowine haha..

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#8 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

Awesome, just the hero I was predicting. I love that ability. I don't know if I'll be buying this box though... is anybody else starting to feel like they have enough card pools for infinite deck combinations and quest diversity already at this point?

#9 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

Awesome, just the hero I was predicting. I love that ability. I don't know if I'll be buying this box though... is anybody else starting to feel like they have enough card pools for infinite deck combinations and quest diversity already at this point?

nope, i can't wait to get more cards. I also love the idea of FFG creating new Factions like Isengard.

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#10 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

I absolutely love this decision. Such a useful ability and he will help open up tons of deckbuilding options. Grima's back story is not fleshed out very well, so there is certainly room for some interpretation there. I'm looking forward to pairing Grima with Master of Lore (and MoL has a real reason to exist again). Come on February!

Edited by Raven1015, 03 January 2014 - 03:39 PM.

• Kerstoid, danpoage and chuckles like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#11 CaptainAce

CaptainAce

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

As I posted on VoI discussion forum a doomed theme mono lore deck featuring lore aragorn, grima, and mirlonde using master of lore and the new isengard messenger would definitely be cool.

#12 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Maybe Grima sounds a bit strange, but it was a nice surprise and and interesting ability combined with the cards that are on the preview

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#13 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

I knew it! I told! I friggin told! I CRAVED!

Now the Gollum hero and I am a happy man.

• Karlson likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#14 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Lore Aragorn just got even better than ever. This is a perfect solution for Lore decks. It addresses the resource problem while complementing Aragorn and Mirlonde nicely. I'm definitely excited to see Grima hit the table soon!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

#15 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hilarious stuff! I love the crazy decisions we get in this game!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#16 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

I also really like the decision to include Grima as a hero. He was not always evil, as Caleb mentioned in the article, otherwise Theoden never would have given him a position of power. One of the deeper themes of The Lord of the Rings, and Tolkien's legendarium in general, is the potential for power to corrupt those who hold it.

Just to add to Ian's point about Master of Lore, Grima's ability is particularly good because it does not say "to a minimum of 1". This means that Grima paired with two copies of Master of Lore (easy to draw with Mithrandir's Advice, Daeron's Runes, Gleowine, etc.) can allow you to play cards like Ithilien Archer or Forest Snare for absolutely no cost. Sure the threat raise is an issue over the long term but Strider has a solution for that problem. This card will be great for the metagame and I can't wait to see all of the new decks that will use it.

Edited by danpoage, 20 January 2014 - 04:37 PM.

• karagh and shipwreck like this

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#17 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Grima seems pretty cool, but deck at least for mono lore is pretty straight forward with the current heroes we have, since Aragorn lore is pretty much a given in the deck. With Mirlonde starting threat is 26, with Pippin 27, Bifur 28, Denethor 29, Bilbo 30 and up from there, so in some ways it is kind of an obvious build for mono lore, but I'm real curious to see him in multi sphere decks.
It would be cool to play ranger spikes for 1 all on his own in this type of deck. I think including him in a spirit Rohan deck will be great, so you can play Elfhelm for 3, and other allies for 1. Maybe even try to do a tri sphere spirit, lore, tactics Rohan deck. Lots of cool possibilities because his ability is not limited to lore cards. More excited about this card the more I think about it.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#18 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

How cool. Stoked to have a Rohan Lore hero too.

I had wondered whether they might include Grima as a Hero, he does suit the doomed mechanic.

Not sure that I want too many Hero's that have doomed effects... but without seeing more cards its hard to know... roll on the new deluxe adventure pack.

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#19 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

Mono Lore Grima will be awesome but Grima with Spirit should also work well. The Galadhrim's Greeting for 2 is not bad at all (net threat reduction of 5).

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#20 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

I think Grima is good, but it's important to remember that "Whenever Doomed cards are played, EACH player must raise his threat by the value of “X.”" (emphasis added). So, in solo play, you have no one to piss off. Raising the threat of all your buddies? That could get ugly...especially if they have no threat reduction.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS