Not a character generator, but...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BlueCorvid

BlueCorvid

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

I've been working on an Anima campaign template for Roll20.net which includes a pretty extensive character sheet that does almost 100% of calculations during play. I'm testing it in two campaigns right now and aside from the occasional missing parentheses and PEBKAC error, it's working really well.Hopefully at some point, Roll20's character sheets will progress to the point where they can function as legit character generators.

Is anyone else running (or thinking about running) an Anima game on Roll20? Would you be interested in having a look at this? I'd love to provide a link, but you'd have to be GM'd before you could even see most of what's under the hood. Aside from the character sheet (which is a bio page and a pretty massive collection of attributes for each character, and a group of module sheets containing macros that all players can use) I've really only got a couple of bits and bobs. Handouts with some common tables that need to be referenced from the main book but which are a pain to look up all the time, a rollable crit location table, some macros for things like generating characteristics or checking a character's ATs. Initiative rolls go straight to the initiative tracker, characters can switch classes with no trouble. Overall it's pretty functional.

I'm absolutely certain I've missed things for certain types of characters: magic and summoning should be close to 100%, but I'm still working on ki things (we have two ki users in the group, so anything I overlooked should get revealed as we play) and nobody has played a psychic yet.

I can really only work with books that I have, and right now that's the original Core book, the GM Toolkit, Those Who Walked Among Us, Dominus Exxet, Prometheum Exxet, and Arcana Exxet. (We just got the last two, so I'm still working on incorporating them where possible.)

#2 Sidisessinu

Sidisessinu

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

In the group I'm in we run our games on roll20, I'll pass this on to our GM and let him know about it to see if he wants to try it in our next Camp.

#3 BlueCorvid

BlueCorvid

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:21 AM

In the group I'm in we run our games on roll20, I'll pass this on to our GM and let him know about it to see if he wants to try it in our next Camp.

Are you guys playing Anima? If so, what kind of character sheets are you using now?

#4 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Yes, it is Anima. We are using a scattering of sheets. I know that some are using a fillable PDF, and other assorted types. We send them via email/Skype to our GM, who gets to decipher our randomness.

#5 Sidisessinu

Sidisessinu

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Yeah what he said, we in the same group.

#6 BlueCorvid

BlueCorvid

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Ouch! Sounds tough. D:

#7 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

I think that most of us are pretty organized, so it can't be that bad. Having said that, we probably should have standardized it.

#8 Sidisessinu

Sidisessinu

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

Well most of us do use the PDF sheets so it's not that bad, and we all have all the current books between us so.... aside from a couple people forgetting to do something when lvling it all good....

#9 BlueCorvid

BlueCorvid

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

I sent campaign links to those who expressed interest! As soon as I see you on the player list, I'll GM you. Feel free to futz around, make characters, see how stuff works. If anything gets broken, there are archived copies of everything, and I have backup copies of the campaign template. (So many backups.)

I added an experimental "GM Tools" sheet. One thing it contains is a damage calculator which rolls the target's physical resistance and calculates a crit, if necessary. One thing to note: I know the book has rules for slightly reducing crit levels above 200 but since you're basically the same level of screwed at any point over 150, I didn't bother to add it. So at the moment, if you need rules for crits over 200 (because someone's playing a vetala or something I guess?), you'll have to consult the book.

Edited by BlueCorvid, 09 January 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#10 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

I don't seem to have gotten any message, but I would definitely be interested in seeing/using the creator.

Edited by Nurddude, 09 January 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#11 BlueCorvid

BlueCorvid

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Sorry ! I just replied to the people who sent me messages.

Here's the campaign link.

#12 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

Thank you kindly.

#13 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

Sadly, as a player and not a GM (in my Roll20 game) I have no idea how to even begin to use the generator.

#14 BlueCorvid

BlueCorvid

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Sorry for the wait; I GMed everyone who joined the game so they can get a better look at it.

To make a character, just copy the character sheet template and edit the copy. Most of the fields should be pretty self-explanatory, but I should mention that most things only need to be entered into the character sheets once -- that is, if you put your characteristic modifiers in, you do not need to also add them to your secondary abilities. (Or, as more often happens, you don't need to put anything in for your resistances other than miscellaneous modifiers -- the rest of it is calculated from the sheet.) This is to keep the sheet as easy to read and proofread (because I swear I screw up that math more often in Anima than any other game lol) as possible.

When you're done with the character sheet, make a token for your character and connect the sheet, then make sure your token is selected and use the abilities in the character sheets at the top. Most things that need to be calculated or looked up can be found either in the sheet titled "Character Creation" (where there will be a button to calculate it) or in a player handout called "Charts for Character Creation" (since some of Anima's charts can't be reproduced with math.)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS