Photo

The squid, the mariner, and the cursed scientist (session report)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Luke, Silas, Kate, Amanda and Trish vs Cthulhu, helped by Dagon and Hydra, with AH+KH+IH+MH in play (Lurker gates are always in the mix). The game had an awesome setup, with both Luke and Kate starting with an Elder Sign and Amanda with Fisticuffs, but then the first Mythos immediately showed an unusual phenomenon appearing in Kingsport, and a rift immediately opened, while the second set-up Mythos instructed Devil Reef to open, so that the good start was immediately countered by a sentient board trying to make everyone's life harder.

Still, Silas with Kate's ES seemed to be able to deal with the DR gate, Luke, stirring in the Dreamlands oblivion, crawled toward a potential exit at the Unnamable, Trish worked on the rift and the others collected clues around the board. Everything quite tranquil, but then No One Can Help You Now arrived, freezing the board and forcing Silas and Luke to squat on their gates waiting to use the ESs. Still not too many probs (I had all characters able to seal and Amanda working his way out of Kadath to Independence Square), but then DR surged (and the nasty environment was removed). So, a 1-San Silas had to squat on a gate with a Crawling One, a Moon-Beast and a Byakee freshly arrived from the Sky, while poor Luke had a Rat-thing. What to do then? DR is an aquatic location, so it's a +2 for Silas on all the Skill checks, and the wisest choice to put that seal on the board, hence max Sneak and try to evade all monsters, but then using the ES would have meant being driven insane, so monsters on DR were free to dive into the nearby vortex and this would have screwed all the rest of the game. So Silas opted to fight, a painful decision that proved to be right. Fortunately. So, the seal meant a free ride back to Arkham, some Sanity restored and a marvellous free monster for the Outskirts thanks to Hydra. Luke sealed as well. Amanda ended up LiTaS, and Kate ended up being Cursed. Oh, rats.

The following turns were mostly focused on monsters whacking: three monster surges in a row bended my knees, and I had to discard a Director's Diary in order to avoid a Dagonesque disaster. Silas had an encounter at the River Docks allowing him to open a heavy chest, with two weapons inside. Got the weapons, and got busted ("worried about my little arsenal, guys?" at the moment he had: a Molotov Cocktail, a Carabine Rifle, the Chivalry Sabre, a gun and the Flamethrower). Sometime later, he wil gain Visions. Maybe a better insight on what's to come? But I was still able to more or less control the board, and send a 7-clue Amanda to Leng through the Graveyard gate. Trish sacrificed her clues to clear the street for Kate, but the lovely little scientist decided to stop for a quick look at the Unnamable and an extra clue and was Cursed. Again (I had her uncursed by spending trophies the turn before). So, ok, new plan, Silas at the River Docks for some free bucks and then move via aquatic movement to Innsmouth and grab the 3 clues at the Esoteric Order of Dagon (something that is never destined to happen)

I was quite confident about the final result because I had Silas ready to commit suicide for an extra seal, + Amanda with 7 clues and Kate with 5 already in an OW, and the doom track was stuck at 7.

New Mythos: The Trembling Earth. First Upkeep: 1. Amanda reached 6 clues, Kate went down to 4, +1 doomer thanks to Dagon. Silas grabbed Research Materials for Kate in Innsmouth. Kate recovered one clue while in the OW.

New Mythos: gate burst at Devil Reef. Following Upkeep: 1. Amanda down to 5 clues, Kate down to 4, Luke down to 5, Trish no clues hence +1 doomer and a rift opened again.

Ok, seriously, what's wrong with this game??

Kate returned to Devil Reef (got the Gate Box from Luke before entering the OW) to meet Silas there, who tossed her Research Materials before grabbing the Gate Box and ended up being sucked into Another Dimension. Third seal. Amanda returned to Arkham but failed the check to close the gate. No monsters around, though. Luke returned as well and sealed an Underworld gate at the Historical Society, but the following Mythos Phase monster surge forced the Outskirts to fill, and the next monster would have meant another +1 terror.

Guess what? Luke was alone in the Historical Society, with the only exception of a Leng Spider, that was impossible for him to evade. They ended up in combat, and Luke won, but the Overwhelming ability of the spider made the last stamina point Luke had to disappear so that (thanks Hydra) a fifth monster had to be put in the Outskirts, meaning +1 terror and everybody losing a clue token, which forced the doom track to raise again (now it's doom 10) AND Amanda to lose one clue, so that she couldn't seal anything. I decided for her to close the gate nonetheless, because too many monsters were crowding the board and I need to remove some.

So, still 4 seals on the board, a rift roaming here and there spawning Colors out of Space and Chthonians and 10 on the doom track.

Silas discarded Summon Shantak to gain 2 extra clues. Now, he had 7 with him, quite a lot, but not enough for the last two seals. In the mean time, Arkham started a big party, opening a Great Ritual.

The board was frozen. Very, very, very few weapons, all characters severely injured and with a very few points left between Sanity and Stamina and the next one to end up insane / unconscious would have triggered another terror increase and this would have meant game over, so I had 4 characters staying at the Asylum / Hospital trying to recover as quickly as possible. I left the Rumor go, and so the rift (there was a little tolerance on the doom track allowing me this strategy).

Amanda maximized her Sneak, and using Fellow travellers reached the gate where Silas was to return. Silas returned and grabbed from Amanda Voice of Ra. Amanda was drawn through the gate that Silas closed and sealed. During the following Upkeep, he discarded Voice of Ra to generate the last clues thanks to Vision and answered the Call. His devouring meant the 6th seal on the board when the doom track was at 11.

Victory by sealing gates in 18 Mythos.

• Schwaig, Lee418 and ZoogyStardust like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

Julia,

You're on a roll!  I need to take some leave and enjoy my AH Game Room a bit more.  In all seriousness, congrats on another looong game for you and a hard-won fight for victory.

Ciao,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:51 AM

Thanks Joe :) The next one (probably to be played on Sunday) is the game that worries me the most: Rhan + Dagon & Hydra against a party of non-professionals including Agnes. I sense several repetitions coming :D

• The Professor likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#4 ZoogyStardust

ZoogyStardust

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

You started the year with two nightmarish games ! Beware, that's, at least two sanity loss ! You should compensate with a couple Champagne item cards...

And while I'm at it, happy new year for all of you, fellow players from all over the world and beyond ! May 2014 be ludic and tentacular !

• Julia likes this

"Abstainer : A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." - Ambrose Bierce

#5 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

You would never think he'd be so good looking at him, but Silas makes one of the best team players.

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Best wishes to you Zoogy, and to all our fellow forumites.

Aye, two tough one just to had a nice start :laughter: Can't wait to finish my Dagon & Hydra rotation so that I can catch a moment to respite :D

#7 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Julia, as I am usually routing for the underdog, I just wanted to come out and say that I'm actually routing against you, for now :D

• Julia likes this

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

:D Thanks Tox :) This will give me the energies to slice Rhan's head tomorrow :devil:

• The Professor likes this

#9 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

Kill him Julia!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS