Official Co-Op Descent with no Overlord

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

It would be nice for solo play as well to scratch that itch when others aren't available to play.  Hopefully you can play solo :)

#42 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

It would be nice for solo play as well to scratch that itch when others aren't available to play.  Hopefully you can play solo :)

Any co-op game can be played solo.  That's one benefit of everyone being on the same side - a single player can always co-operate with himself.

Some systems may require you to control multiple heroes (or hero-equivalents) to maintain effective balance, but that's nothing new for Descent anyway.

• Robin likes this

#43 Jander78

Jander78

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Can't wait for this to be available for consumer purchase. Just what I wanted for this game!

#44 Light Bright

Light Bright

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

When I played this game a few times I always feel like something is missing from the game and I can't put my finger on what that is exactly.

I've played few games like this and only this one makes me feel that way. I feel like this game can be good to me if they or somebody can figure out why it doesn't do it for me and fix it. Maybe this co-op hero thing might work who knows.

#45 Chrome

Chrome

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Note that FFG says the "adventure" will be available, not the whole kit. So I would guess it won't include the dice and hearts.

That's a good point. If translucent attack dice and fancy looking wound markers are important to some, you may want to make a point of attending the Game Night after all.

If the general release is indeed just the adventure and stat cards, that would make it a lot more feasible for POD, too.

Personally I can live without the bells and whistles, but I'm definitely intrigued by the mechanics.

Shiny treasure is always nice.  ;)

#46 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Personally I can live without the bells and whistles, but I'm definitely intrigued by the mechanics.

I agree, but I'm not spending $500 in travel and hotel expenses to find my way to a Game Night event just so I can score a few plastic hearts. If there's one locally that I hear about, and it doesn't cause great inconvenience to my schedule, then of course I'll go check it out.

Otherwise (and more likely) I'll just get the version they release to the general public, whenever that is.

#47 Kriegschatten

Kriegschatten

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Made the point over on the geek but here too, why is COOP designed for organised play? Surely it fits more in with solo players and smaller groups? Organised play surely a new overlord vs overlord would have fitted having more players but maybe they are after a large gaming store carrot.

It's more about it being for "Game Nights" to bring new people in. A competitive game with the Overlord versus 4 others, especially when certain Overlord tactics may involve using his monsters to gang up on an individual hero, can be off-putting to a lot of people. Whereas it's really hard to take it personally when you're playing against a cardboard box. This is something that will allow people to experience Descent without the Overlord feeling like he might have to either take it easy on the heroes or risk alienating a new player. This scenario can be especially risky with new players when they don't fully understand the rules of the game yet.

If this helps bridge that gap and get the game on the table more often, I'm all for it. Once players get a feel for the basic rules of the game, they can then try out the competitive version.

I'm not getting how this helps FLGSes.

So, a customer comes into a game night and loves playing the new co-op Descent.

"Wow", he says, "that was the most fantastic board-gaming experience I've ever had.  I'd love to play this with my family and friends.  I'd like to buy a copy right now!"

"I'm sorry," the FLGS owner replies, shaking his head, sadly, "but I can't actually sell you this.  I can sell you the normal Descent game, but it doesn't play anything like the game you just enjoyed so much."

Frustrated and disheartened, the customer leaves the FLGS, promising never to return since it is clear that a business who won't actually sell their product doesn't deserve his patronage.

Edited by Kriegschatten, 12 January 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#48 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

So that could indicate that the game nights are a "sandbox", which allow the testing (and fine tuning) of a future coop expansion.
  • jadedbacon likes this
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#49 ilikegames

ilikegames

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

I agree, but I'm not spending $500 in travel and hotel expenses to find my way to a Game Night event just so I can score a few plastic hearts. If there's one locally that I hear about, and it doesn't cause great inconvenience to my schedule, then of course I'll go check it out.Otherwise (and more likely) I'll just get the version they release to the general public, whenever that is.

Is there a way to search for Game Night events or a list of participating retailers?

#50 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

"I'm sorry," the FLGS owner replies, shaking his head, sadly, "but I can't actually sell you this.  I can sell you the normal Descent game, but it doesn't play anything like the game you just enjoyed so much."

Frustrated and disheartened, the customer leaves the FLGS, promising never to return since it is clear that a business who won't actually sell their product doesn't deserve his patronage.

Alternatively, the FLGS owner politely explains that the co-op expansion will be on sale later this year, and that the customer can buy the core box now if he likes, as it will be required to play with the co-op expansion later anyway.

The customer, who ideally has an attention span longer than 6 hours (especially if he wants to play FFG games), understands that the Games Night was just a preview/promotional event and that he might actually have to wait before he can get the new thing they were advertising there.

I freely admit that I've never owned a gaming store before, but I have served my time in retail. In my experience, the customers who stomp out and promise never to return are rarely worth the time they would take to satisfy anyway. They always act like the removal of their money will single-handedly sink the store, but in truth they usually only spend a fraction of what other, more reasonable customers do.

Also, some canny FLGS owners might just give away the co-op promo material they have in some kind of raffle or contest, so the possibility of the impatient gamer getting his grubby mitts on the product right away are not zero. (Although he would probably still call shenanigans if he didn't win.)
  • Titeman, Robin and Subt1e like this

#51 Salem

Salem

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Alternatively, the FLGS owner politely explains that the co-op expansion will be on sale later this year, and that the customer can buy the core box now if he likes, as it will be required to play with the co-op expansion later anyway.

Has FFG confirmed that the solo version will be available for purchase later this year?  I have asked my FLGS to order in at least one set for the organized play, but I haven't heard a response from them.  I love Descent and would really like the oportunity to try this coop version!

#52 rshelley

rshelley

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

I bet if you talk to your FLGS they would be happy to order and sell you one of these kits...if you know you already want one.

#53 Salem

Salem

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

I bet if you talk to your FLGS they would be happy to order and sell you one of these kits...if you know you already want one.

I have a group of gamers that meets at a Condo every week (between 15-20 of us on average).  If I can't get my FLGS to come through for me, I'm guessing that there is no other way for me to order a kit for our group?

#54 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

Has FFG confirmed that the solo version will be available for purchase later this year?  I have asked my FLGS to order in at least one set for the organized play, but I haven't heard a response from them.  I love Descent and would really like the oportunity to try this coop version!

I think it's already been quoted once or twice in this thread, but here it is again, from the official announcement on this very web site:

"Even if you don’t attend a Game Night at your local retailer, the adventure included in Season One 2014 Descent Game Night Kits, Forgotten Souls, will be available to you via In-House Manufacturing after the kits are rotated out of circulation later in 2014."

It may not include the fancy plastic hearts or transparent attack dice, but there's not much point in giving us the campaign without the rules/cards needed to play it. Hence, the co-op game will be made available to all at a later date.

Edited by Steve-O, 14 January 2014 - 06:44 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS