Weapons Kit Out for a Star Galleon?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

So, I'm throwing together some of the finer details of some various threads of my overall RT story, and I hit a snag. Lord-Captain Korvallus is the Rogue Trader of his Dynasty, more often referred to as the Silver Ravens (like a mercenary company, or enterprise). Part of the name choice stems from the ship that came with his ANCIENT Warrant, a Conquest-class Star Galleon named the Silver Raven. As Korvallus chose to bring his military ship the Dictator-class Hammerfall with him, the Silver Raven sat in port, and most people never knew it existed. When he needed a ship during a several-years repair stint on the Hammerfall, he actually used the SR as his flag ship, till the Hammerfall was fixed, and then the Raven again "disappeared". Thing is, in addition to kind of having crappy armor, the Galleon is a cruiser-class vessel without a prow slot, so my pirate ship can't have a nova cannon (not a HUGE loss, I grant). Knowing that a few other folks must have statted an SG, what would be some good weapons for her to carry? Money is relatively no object, and the ship is from Mars, back when the Emperor lived, so it can easily carry some archaeotech. It's a rare ship for Korvallus in that it doesn't have hangers, so I've got four weapon slots to fill. Korvallus often fights, for the most part, Orks; he can often talk his way out (Legend of the Expanse) of other issues. Ideas?

#2 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

If you're okay with losing some stats, the Hold Landing Bay can be pretty sweet. With a pair of Landing Bays on each side you can launch 6 at a time. Kinda nuts.

I always have trouble with the Conquest, not enough space on the things with all the Cruiser components.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

#3 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

If you're okay with losing some stats, the Hold Landing Bay can be pretty sweet. With a pair of Landing Bays on each side you can launch 6 at a time. Kinda nuts.

It can take cruiser bays, so that would be 10 per round, surely?

#4 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

Fighting Orks makes it a little tricky, because although I love the Star Galleon it doesn't have QUITE enough space to mount a good Port/Starboard Broadside & Lance combo. For my Campaign, the Star Galleon took an Archeotech component that someone proposed on the forums a long time ago called "Vampire Torpedo Tubes", so could be mounted in Port/Starboard in exchange for them taking up twice the normal power. Since you can mount a Cruiser's plasma drive in this ship, you will have no problems with power, just with Space.

This is a valid build that I've thrown together that relies on one crucial interpretation of the "Cruiser/Transport" selection rule. Warp Drives have a different name for Transports and Cruisers, meaning that you may mount the Miloslav G-161.b Warp Engine because it has a different name from the Miloslav H-161.b Warp Engine. That saves you a precious 2 Space and 2 Power. This ship is not very fast, but it does have incredibly long-range macrobatteries, and with Excess Void Armour it is more survivable. The sole Archeotech component is the Energistic Conversion Matrix, so if needed you can boost Speed to great, great heights.

Conquest-Class Star Galleon

Basic Information

• Speed: 2
  • Manoeuvrability: -3
  • Detection: +20
  • Turret Rating: 1
  • Shields: 2
  • Armour: 19
  • Hull Integrity: 60 

Skill Test Modifiers

Ballistic Tests +10, Navigation/Warp +5, Navigation/Combat +5, Navigation/Escape Combat +5, Navigation/Piloting +5, Extended Repairs +10, Restore HI Acq Test  +10

Achievement Bonuses

Trade: +135

Essential Components

• Plasma Drive: Jovian Pattern Class 8.1 Drive
  • Warp Engine: Miloslav G-616.b Warp Engine
  • Gellar Field: Emergency Field
  • Bridge: Ship Master's Bridge
  • Life Sustainer: Vitae-Pattern Life Sustainer
  • Crew Quarters: Voidsman Quarters
  • Auger Array: Deep Void Augur Array 

Weapons

• Port/Starboard: 2x Hecutor Plasma Batteries
  • Keel: Hold Landing Bay

Supplemental Components

• Excess Void Armour
  • Main Cargo Hold (x1)
  • Manufactorum
  • Pilot's Chamber
  • Energistic Conversion Matrix

So with Speed 2 it's not that great, but with the Energistic Conversion Matrix's ability to convert 5 power for 1 speed, you will be able to shunt power for speed as needed. You can re-route 8 power from the Warp Engines, and 32 from the Weapons if you're not expecting combat, your speed becomes 10 by default. Clearly having Weapons not being powered by default might also play into your Captain's tendency to resort to diplomacy over violence.

Edited by Erathia, 31 December 2013 - 04:00 PM.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#5 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

If you're okay with losing some people stats, the Hold Landing Bay can be pretty sweet. With a pair of Landing Bays on each side you can launch 6 at a time. Kinda nuts.

It can take cruiser bays, so that would be 10 per round, surely?

I figured you'd want other things too. Say Disruption Macros.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

#6 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

I figured you'd want other things too. Say Disruption Macros.

Since disruption macros don't exist at the table where I normally play, hardly those.

#7 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

This is a valid build that I've thrown together that relies on one crucial interpretation of the "Cruiser/Transport" selection rule. Warp Drives have a different name for Transports and Cruisers, meaning that you may mount the Miloslav G-161.b Warp Engine because it has a different name from the Miloslav H-161.b Warp Engine. That saves you a precious 2 Space and 2 Power. This ship is not very fast, but it does have incredibly long-range macrobatteries, and with Excess Void Armour it is more survivable. The sole Archeotech component is the Energistic Conversion Matrix, so if needed you can boost Speed to great, great heights.

That's a rather generous interpretation. One which would not be accepted at my usual table, and one which I could not myself support.

But I can see the argument for it.

#8 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, I'd have to stick with Hybrid Vessel's "if the component has both a Transport and Cruiser variant, go with the Cruiser variant" meaning take the Cruiser Milosav. I see your logic, but feel the name change is just to differentiate class of vessel, like "Class 4 Plasma Drive" vs "Class 5"; they do the same thing, so I'd have to take the Class 5, or whatever number is attached to Cruisers, of whatever variety of Plasma Drives I'm picking from.

I think I rather love those Vampire Torpedoes. While I can't argue that it makes some sense that a ship needs to mount them into a prow slot, to absorb the push of their launch (guns shoot bullets out the end, not out the side), the number of Imperial vessels that don't have Prow slots is irritating; not as bad as keel slots, but that's just me whining. I also would, I suppose, want the smallest profile for while sitting there, launching torpedoes. Having a launcher that draws some extra power (inertial dampeners and compensators?) so that it can sit in a side mount is awesome, as you come up, along side (far enough away, mind you), and then let loose a salvo that no fighters had time to intercept.

#9 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, I'd have to stick with Hybrid Vessel's "if the component has both a Transport and Cruiser variant, go with the Cruiser variant" meaning take the Cruiser Milosav. I see your logic, but feel the name change is just to differentiate class of vessel, like "Class 4 Plasma Drive" vs "Class 5"; they do the same thing, so I'd have to take the Class 5, or whatever number is attached to Cruisers, of whatever variety of Plasma Drives I'm picking from.

I think I rather love those Vampire Torpedoes. While I can't argue that it makes some sense that a ship needs to mount them into a prow slot, to absorb the push of their launch (guns shoot bullets out the end, not out the side), the number of Imperial vessels that don't have Prow slots is irritating; not as bad as keel slots, but that's just me whining. I also would, I suppose, want the smallest profile for while sitting there, launching torpedoes. Having a launcher that draws some extra power (inertial dampeners and compensators?) so that it can sit in a side mount is awesome, as you come up, along side (far enough away, mind you), and then let loose a salvo that no fighters had time to intercept.

I think the justification was that it was Archeotech that understood how to utilize dampening technology, and was called a "Vampire" upgrade because it sucked up twice as much power as normal before firing.

I still like my interpretation by doggedly sticking to RAW, but then thi sis a ship I came up with. You can make it a viable build by removing the Manufactorum (which I like to stick in my ships for flavour) and switching the Miloslav for an Albanov 1 Warp Engine. Your Cruiser will be slow in the Warp, but it will almost certainly arrive wherever it's going safely.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS