• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

Star Wars is not dying because you can't find players or don't see a bunch of games on OCTGN. Plenty of people don't play on OCTGN at all.

#22 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

I sure don't. I play games like this because it gets me out of my shell and gives me an opportunity to socialize with people offline. OCTGN is good for playtesting, but that's about it. YMMV

#23 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Star Wars is not dying because you can't find players or don't see a bunch of games on OCTGN. Plenty of people don't play on OCTGN at all.

I'm not saying the game is dying because *I* can't find players. I'm saying the future doesn't look good because a lot of people can't find players... because not many people are playing. How do you not get that that is not good for a game's future? Low player base = low sales = time to discontinue SWLCG. I found two guys who USED to play Star Wars in my city, there used to be a tournament group here. Everyone lost interest and there is no longer enough players to sustain a tournament community. So.... there were people who were into the game and supporting the game, then there weren't. No more sales for FFG from this group. Hm, not good, right? I'll bet these boards used to be a lot more lively than they currently are too. Saying "It's not dying because I said so and don't want it to" doesn't make it so. I don't want to the game to die. I'm relatively new to it and love the game mechanics and Star Wars itself, but it doesn't take a degree in business to know that the product is not being handled well.

I sure don't. I play games like this because it gets me out of my shell and gives me an opportunity to socialize with people offline. OCTGN is good for playtesting, but that's about it. YMMV

OCTGN is literally the only way I can play most of the time.

Don't know why everyone is trying to take this sideways. My point is that lack of company support and chronic delays are not good business and will have negative impacts on the game and community. I honestly don't know how or why you would argue that.

ITT: Neckbeards use the powers of Autism and a thesaurus to respond to you.

#24 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

That's unfortunate for your area. Here Netrunner has died.

You are sayng the sky is falling. Not all of us agree with you.

What support do you need ? They provide product regular tournament kits store championships regionals etc. all equivalent to plenty of other card games. All the prize support in the world cannot make a play group. That requires work and dedication from certain types of players.

#25 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

That's unfortunate for your area. Here Netrunner has died.

You are sayng the sky is falling. Not all of us agree with you.

What support do you need ? They provide product regular tournament kits store championships regionals etc. all equivalent to plenty of other card games. All the prize support in the world cannot make a play group. That requires work and dedication from certain types of players.

The sky isn't falling, but it is poor business practice which, once again, will have negative impact on the game and community. Sideways all day in this thread. It's just common sense. As far as work and dedication... seriously? You want the player's experience to be picking up slack for a company that they gave their money to? Games shouldn't be a chore, that's ridiculous. I will address how you can make that last part work below, without expecting the average player to be FFG's complimentary marketing department.

Here's just some stuff off the top of my head that would help. Guess what... they're all no-brainers.

1) Sending out demo kits to gaming stores with freebie intro demo decks for anyone who gives the game a shot during the demo. Blah blah blah small company doesn't have the money. Whatever, spend money to make money. More players get their hands on the game and see how fun it is, more players are buying expansions. (See #5 for who should be putting on these demos.)

2) Offer retailers the option to return any product they don't sell after a certain period of time. This is the retailers thought: "Only gonna buy one of these, don't want to be stuck with a bunch because I don't know if the product will move or not". Now the retailers will want to order more and be more willing to push the game because there's a safety net for them. Now instead of ordering 1 of each set and shrugging their shoulders to customers when their only Core Set sells out, they have more stock to hand out to new players. 

3) Having stuff hit the shelves on time is a great way to keep your players from being burnt out. It's also just plain and simple good business practice. Say what you mean and mean what you say. A delay here or there is inevitable, we all get that. When it becomes something your product is known for? Not. Good.

4) Having regional tournaments that don't require players driving across state lines to participate. Hey, drive 7 hours to play in a regional of 20 people! Sounds great! This leads into #5. 

5) In the days of Decipher's Star Wars CCG, Decipher had Rogue Squadron. Rogue Squadron was made up of players in major cities all throughout the world, who ran tournaments and were kicked down a massive amount of prize support from the company to keep players coming back to the tourneys (they didn't have to pay for it, Decipher realized that the players were already giving them money to play the game). THIS IS SOMETHING THAT FFG NEEDS TO EMULATE ASAP. Decipher was focused on keeping the players happy and not losing them. This was key to making sure their game grew. Heck, they even had a TV commercial (so did Magic). Not saying they should do a commercial (not really as effective these days) , but they definitely need to step up their online marketing. I'm a huge Star Wars/card game dork and basically stumbled upon the game by chance. I had no clue of it's existence until I googled "Star Wars CCG" for kicks. These people should also be rewarded for their efforts of keeping the game going, maybe comp a motel room for them for their trip out to Worlds (after all, they're dedicating their free time throughout the year helping your game and most likely paying for a plane ticket both ways just to come and play) or kick them down special playmats or game-related trinkets throughout the year. Just something to show appreciation for their efforts on behalf of the company and game. Doesn't have to be huge, just something.

6) Offer some kind of reward for pre-orders. Maybe an alternate art affiliation card, a Death Star II dial, whatever. This can be a cool little silver lining, especially if what I'm pre-ordering for February doesn't show up until April. Blah blah blah small company not enough money. Cool perks keep players happy and keeps them buying your stuff for the long run.

Edited by INtheShadowplay, 19 January 2014 - 01:16 PM.

• Zordren, videinfra and JMCB like this

#26 Magni

Magni

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

The joy of sw is the deck building format, its also its biggest con in that, only so many "competitive" decks can be built from a much more restricted card pool.  This makes it seem like there is nothing new for ages because we cant make "small" tweeks.  Is sw dieing off, no has it hit a really hard dry spell? yeah...  Granted were 1 big box up on NR but last time i think  the SW cycle started around datapack 2-3.  were on datapack 4 now, that said as of right now its a 1 month delay, FFG forecasted in GTM that the release date for the echos was Jan we can still make it - balance was 1 month pushed back.  

OCTGN is only hoppen when we have steady releases and the tourney scene is going on, dont expect tons of games when nothing is releasing.

magni

+++ Engagement: Resolve Strikes +++

magni strikes with greedo for 2 unit damage to Han Solo and 1 Blast Damage.

#27 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

I think Star Wars, along with all of the LCG's, is regional. I live in Iowa, and where I live there are very few who play Star Wars LCG, many who play Netrunner, and no one who plays Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, or Call of Cthulu, yet they continue to make expansions for all of them. I think the one thing that hurts Star Wars is that they have the LCG and X-Wing, and many focus more on X-Wing than the card game, because X-Wing is a little more thematic and bring people back to the days of X-Wing vs. Tie FIghter. 

Two other people at my store have bought the LCG after playing it once because it is fun, it is just a matter of trying to be focused on one or many things.

#28 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

The joy of sw is the deck building format, its also its biggest con in that, only so many "competitive" decks can be built from a much more restricted card pool.  This makes it seem like there is nothing new for ages because we cant make "small" tweeks.  Is sw dieing off, no has it hit a really hard dry spell? yeah...  Granted were 1 big box up on NR but last time i think  the SW cycle started around datapack 2-3.  were on datapack 4 now, that said as of right now its a 1 month delay, FFG forecasted in GTM that the release date for the echos was Jan we can still make it - balance was 1 month pushed back.  

OCTGN is only hoppen when we have steady releases and the tourney scene is going on, dont expect tons of games when nothing is releasing.

magni

I feel ya on this, you hit the nail on the head. Actually, FFG originally said Echoes was supposed to be out in Q4 2013, then it was January.... then it was February. Q4 = Oct/Nov/Dec. So even when you're looking at Q4 as December, it's still a 2 month delay.

I think Star Wars, along with all of the LCG's, is regional. I live in Iowa, and where I live there are very few who play Star Wars LCG, many who play Netrunner, and no one who plays Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, or Call of Cthulu, yet they continue to make expansions for all of them. I think the one thing that hurts Star Wars is that they have the LCG and X-Wing, and many focus more on X-Wing than the card game, because X-Wing is a little more thematic and bring people back to the days of X-Wing vs. Tie FIghter. 

Two other people at my store have bought the LCG after playing it once because it is fun, it is just a matter of trying to be focused on one or many things.

I just ordered AGOT and Netrunner because I finally discovered some people in town that play those and I also see a ton of games on OCTGN for them regularly, started getting back into Magic too. I just wish there was a decent player base to SW, since I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Love the game but there's no one to play it with. I wanted to check out Warhammer Invasion too, but I was bummed to find out that it has been discontinued. Hopefully the other games will keep me occupied during the wait to see if the SW player base picks up at all when new stuff hits the shelves. 

Edited by INtheShadowplay, 20 January 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#29 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

The upcoming status just changed, so maybe by end of February the cards will be out. I am hoping so ...

Welcome to the machine!

#30 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

Once it says "on the boat," it usually goes to "shipping" 2 weeks thereafter IIRC, so we should be able to expect it in stores in 3 weeks.  So mid-February, hopefully.

#31 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

Once it says "on the boat," it usually goes to "shipping" 2 weeks thereafter IIRC, so we should be able to expect it in stores in 3 weeks.  So mid-February, hopefully.

Really?  Last force cycle it was usually more like 4-5 weeks as "on the boat."  I'd look for this one at the very end of February or very early March personally.

Also, does it worry anyone else that Lure is still not even at the printer?

#32 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

I guess I could, but I actually can't find any player groups in San Diego for any LCG's, period. It's not a small city, we have tons of gaming stores and absolutely no one is playing them.

I suggest trying out Game Empire: https://www.facebook.com/GameEmpireSD

I went there for an LCG night last year when I was visiting from out of town and they were quite friendly. If they don't have an LCG group running regularly they'll be glad to help you start and promote one. Top notch guys in SD.

#33 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

I guess I could, but I actually can't find any player groups in San Diego for any LCG's, period. It's not a small city, we have tons of gaming stores and absolutely no one is playing them.

I went there for an LCG night last year when I was visiting from out of town and they were quite friendly. If they don't have an LCG group running regularly they'll be glad to help you start and promote one. Top notch guys in SD.

Thanks, Kennedy. I have talked to a couple NetRunner guys who play there and plan to meet up with them to play NR and AGoT when my stuff gets here in the mail. They said that SW has already sort of came and went as far as people wanting to do a competitive thing, though. It's a bummer, I'm still going to bring my SW cards just in case, though.

#34 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

Thanks, Kennedy. I have talked to a couple NetRunner guys who play there and plan to meet up with them to play NR and AGoT when my stuff gets here in the mail. They said that SW has already sort of came and went as far as people wanting to do a competitive thing, though. It's a bummer, I'm still going to bring my SW cards just in case, though.

Not true at all, SW LCG still has quite a few players meeting on Wednesday nights at that store.

#35 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

as of today Lure is at the printer.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#36 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

as of today Lure is at the printer.

Excellent!  Interesting that they're still projecting it for March, I still think April is much more likely.

#37 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

Not true at all, SW LCG still has quite a few players meeting on Wednesday nights at that store.

Cool! How many show up on average? Also, aren't Mondays their LCG nights?

#38 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

Cool! How many show up on average? Also, aren't Mondays their LCG nights?

Nope, it's Wednesday night.  I haven't been in awhile, but their facebook page seems pretty clear about it being Wednesday nights still.

Edit: Not sure how many show up as of right now.  I live about an hour away so I don't go very often. 

Edited by shaggscoob, 10 February 2014 - 10:41 PM.

#39 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Went in there and asked yesterday. SWLCG League is every Monday starting the 17th of this month.

#40 Raahk

Raahk

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

According to Amazon, Heroes of the Force will be available on february 28th

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS