Release dates for Echos of the Force?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

I noticed that they don't have release dates listed for any of the upcoming packs. Is there anywhere that I can find this info? Keeping release dates vague is a creeping death for the life of any new-ish card game.

ITT: Neckbeards use the powers of Autism and a thesaurus to respond to you.

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

I noticed that they don't have release dates listed for any of the upcoming packs. Is there anywhere that I can find this info? Keeping release dates vague is a creeping death for the life of any new-ish card game.

The upcoming page lists Feb 2014 for the first force pack.
  • INtheShadowplay likes this

#3 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

I agree with the OP about the issues in chronically delaying release dates.

• INtheShadowplay likes this

Welcome to the machine!

#4 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

It would be cool to have an actual date, though. Like, "BAM. February 20th. Can't wait!"

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

It would be cool to have an actual date, though. Like, "BAM. February 20th. Can't wait!"

That, unfortunately, you will never get from FFG.  They don't quite have the supply chain/distribution system that is required for a coordinated release date.  What actually happens is that they ship things out to stores/distributors as soon as they get it from the printers.  The end result is that some places will get product on shelves a little earlier than others.

In general though, I agree that FFG needs to work a little on avoiding all of these delays (the product was originally expected January).  I don't know much about their other games, but both this game and X-Wing have had some issues with release dates and lots of delays.

#6 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

I wonder if it's because of issues with approval for art/flavor text/etc.  FFG is probably the low man on the totem pole when it comes to that sort of thing on Lucas/Disney's end.

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

Get used to it. And actually things have improved in the 4+ years I have been collecting LCGs. Although Netrunner threw some serious kinks in the works because of its sheer popularity when it first came out.

#8 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

It will not dissuade me from playing, but I know it rubs some people the wrong way.

Welcome to the machine!

#9 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

Be patient. There are plenty of cards out right now. The best cure is play multiple card games.
  • Hank McCoy and INtheShadowplay like this

#10 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

Hey Cooleo1c, Merry Christmas bud!

Welcome to the machine!

#11 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

Hey Cooleo1c, Merry Christmas bud!

happy new year!

#12 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Touche! 

Welcome to the machine!

#13 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

Be patient. There are plenty of cards out right now. The best cure is play multiple card games.

I guess I could, but I actually can't find any player groups in San Diego for any LCG's, period. It's not a small city, we have tons of gaming stores and absolutely no one is playing them. Doesn't seem to be too much company support for the products beyond selling it. Adding delays/vagueness of releases on top of extremely limited company involvement dedicated to growing their own games is not a good combo for keeping a game alive. It sucks because I love the game mechanics and the Star Wars universe, it's pretty frustrating.

Edited by INtheShadowplay, 06 January 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#14 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

Step up and create your own tournament scene. The force will be with you

Always

#15 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Always

Yea, that's what a marketing department is for. You can't just tell the player "No one to play with? That's your fault for not demoing our game in your area". It's just poor product support and a poor business strategy. Yea, I could go out and basically do their job for them... or I could just pop back into Magic where there's tons of players due to company support for the product. I guarantee the latter is going to happen for most players that look into this game. The game is great but the lack of FFG doing anything beyond selling it (not to mention delays galore) is going to be the death of it.

#16 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

It's a one month delay. Still plenty of cards to play with. And that is what keeps magic going. The players. Same way it started. A company can only do so much and cannot be in every store.

#17 cephalgia

cephalgia

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

It's a one month delay. Still plenty of cards to play with. And that is what keeps magic going. The players. Same way it started. A company can only do so much and cannot be in every store.

"fourth quarter 2013"

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4358

"February 2014"

http://www.fantasyfl...ge_upcoming.asp

Even IF you look at December as fourth quarter, that's a two month delay.  

#18 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Fine two months. Not end of the world.

#19 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:17 AM

Always

Yea, that's what a marketing department is for. You can't just tell the player "No one to play with? That's your fault for not demoing our game in your area". It's just poor product support and a poor business strategy. Yea, I could go out and basically do their job for them... or I could just pop back into Magic where there's tons of players due to company support for the product. I guarantee the latter is going to happen for most players that look into this game. The game is great but the lack of FFG doing anything beyond selling it (not to mention delays galore) is going to be the death of it.

While I'd love to see FFG do more, the reality is no that won't be the death of anything.  FFG has taken this approach with other successful games (LCGs).  The reality is this game is not directly marketed to those that could/would go play Magic instead, it's model is aimed towards Magic refugees  or people that would never consider Magic anyway.

• Zordren likes this

#20 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:31 AM

Fine two months. Not end of the world.

The delays were originally what this post was about, then someone suggested I play multiple LCG's. I responded with "Well, I would but no one's playing any of them in my area". That's how the topic became the lack of support for the product and virtually no effort to grow their game/build a community.

Always

While I'd love to see FFG do more, the reality is no that won't be the death of anything.  FFG has taken this approach with other successful games (LCGs).  The reality is this game is not directly marketed to those that could/would go play Magic instead, it's model is aimed towards Magic refugees  or people that would never consider Magic anyway.

It's not directly marketed at all. To anyone. Making sets easy to collect and light on the wallet is a great concept that I love, but I'm willing to bet that the most Star Wars playing that people actually get to do is via OCTGN and not at their local gaming shops. Yea, some of the LCG's are popular (Netrunner, anyone?), but not this one. In fact, the most games of Star Wars LCG I've seen going on OCTGN at once was 2. This one is not doing well. So when a player cannot find anyone to play the game with face to face, he's going to quit buying the expansions and start downloading them instead. Then Star Wars is over. You can turn your nose up at it and say "Well, the other one's are doing good" all day, but the reality is that we're not talking about the other ones.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS