What will 'Force & Destiny' look like?

• Please log in to reply
555 replies to this topic

#541 Lareg

Lareg

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

The default saber isn't a training version is a less powerrful version of the one we saw in the other 2 books, and can be easily modded to that level of lethality. Definitely a dangerus weapon but not op compared to a regular blaster.

The training saber is the cheapest saber obtainable and can be bought with the starting credits. No saber given out at  charcter creatin but there an esy way to find a crysatl in the adventure, and hilts  are cheap to create. A gm can essily decide to hand out a saber for free though.

It's also possible to play at "Knight Level" which means 150 xp given after creation and a basic lightsaber (or 10k credits)

Morality mechanic  is very well thought.

Edited by Lareg, 16 August 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#542 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Is FaD considered officially 'released' yet?  Or do we have to wait for it to start shipping before I can start talking?  D:

Edit: Also, to whoever released their copy of the Alpha test book, I hope FFG nails you to the wall.

Edited by Serif Marak, 16 August 2014 - 03:31 PM.

• Doc, the Weasel likes this

#543 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

Those alpha copies are usually watermarked with identifiers. Interesting to see if FFG puts other ID markings on the doc.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#544 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Is FaD considered officially 'released' yet?  Or do we have to wait for it to start shipping before I can start talking?  D:

Edit: Also, to whoever released their copy of the Alpha test book, I hope FFG nails you to the wall.

Yes its released, so you can tell everyone about your sith murderbot now. 

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#545 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

It's in the wild? I'll have to go hunt it down.

#546 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

Someone over on the G+ community posted a download link of the alpha PDF.

-EF

#547 CaptainRaspberry

CaptainRaspberry

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Someone over on the G+ community posted a download link of the alpha PDF.

-EF

And whoever did it is going to be in big trouble.

• EldritchFire and kaosoe like this

Sic transit gloria.

#548 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce my Zabrak Sith Assassin, Vramo.

Or, as I like to affectionately refer to him as, Darth **** That Guy.

Vramo was only very recently named, as I created him during the testing period.  Between the changes provided in the Beta (as well as accidentally deleting him) he was recreated into this particular brand of '**** you don't want to **** with'.

He is more than capable of dealing with Nemesis level enemies single-handedly, as well as several squads of badies.  At the same time.

In the time that I've know him, he has had a droid destroyed for telling him that something was broken beyond repair, cut off a Clone Troopers arm for not telling him what he wanted to know, killed a Hutt's guard, then used Force Power: Move to throw one of his attendants against the wall beside him (could have chucked the Hutt, but I needed him alive), killed a Jedi, his Apprentice, as well as the Clone Trooper sent ahead as a forward scout, taken the bodies for no particular reason, then used the bodies to scare the crap out of an urchin who was hedging around actually being useful, killed the urchin upon a failed roll to enlist his assistance (literally, told the GM [Ghostofman] that if I failed, I was going to kill the kid.  Failed, and immediately rolled my combat skill), then set out to kill two four-man squads of Clone Troopers, an ARC Sargent, and an ARC Captain, as well as the two pilots aboard the ship we were 'borrowing' to link back up with our fleet.

That's been across only two sessions.

My thoughts on how Force and Destiny came out?  Anyone who complains about it deserves to be forced to go toe-to-toe with Darth **** That Guy.

EDIT: Before any of my group jumps in, yes DFTG had help during these two missions, but the bulk of the kill strokes belong to me, so my point still stands.  :D

Edited by Serif Marak, 17 August 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#549 JediChris

JediChris

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:38 PM

The beta test for Force and Destiny was for sale at GenCon, I have a copy in my hand.

#550 CaptainRaspberry

CaptainRaspberry

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

[Atrocities truncated.]

My thoughts on how Force and Destiny came out?  Anyone who complains about it deserves to be forced to go toe-to-toe with Darth **** That Guy.

EDIT: Before any of my group jumps in, yes DFTG had help during these two missions, but the bulk of the kill strokes belong to me, so my point still stands.   :D

So I'm guessing your assignment was to create a Dark side character? Or was that personal initiative on your part?

Sic transit gloria.

#551 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

[Atrocities truncated.]

EDIT: Before any of my group jumps in, yes DFTG had help during these two missions, but the bulk of the kill strokes belong to me, so my point still stands.   :D

So I'm guessing your assignment was to create a Dark side character? Or was that personal initiative on your part?

Playtesters aren't generally allowed to talk about the playtesting process, even after the product has been released. He might not be allowed to go into detail.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#552 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

[Atrocities truncated.]

Playtesters aren't generally allowed to talk about the playtesting process, even after the product has been released. He might not be allowed to go into detail.

We wanted to play a Clone Wars era game.  And since we needed to test everything, we decided to take that opportunity to test being the bad guys.
The funny part is that, though we all typically end up playing Neutral bordering Evil characters all the time, my group was kind of on edge at the sight of DFTG's atrocities.

#553 Castlecruncher

Castlecruncher

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

I admit to having used the accursed Alpha Test that was leaked, but since I'm going to buy the Beta anyways, I see it as an early looksy at what I'm buying. A mix of pictures for the species (I refuse to look up Mirialans on Google Images), my love of books I can hold, and my hate of PDF books commands I buy the book in the future, so there's nothing to worry about in terms of me merely freeloading on the PDF. I just hate paying money so I can pay more money and then leave, and then possibly not be able to pay the money the second time, meaning I'll be standing in crowded lines for no reason. Instead, I'll just be annoyed with PDF files until I can purchase the actual book.

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim."

-Elie Wiesel

#554 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

I admit to having used the accursed Alpha Test that was leaked

If you are going to buy the Beta, awesome.  Buy the official version when it comes out, even better.

But using an illegally distributed copy of the Alpha isn't right in any case.

You could have taken the proper avenues and signed up as an Alpha tester awhile ago; gotten a legit copy.  And then you would have gotten the updates that the testers got that allowed them to sort through some of the holes sent in the Alpha copy.

Further, there are differences (minor and major) between the different versions that can actually break a game.  Some of the Talents were over or under powered heavily and actually made the rest of the game feel cheap.  And some other things were included that have been removed perhaps because FFG intends to use it in later products.

In any case, setting aside the legalities, we had to sign NDA's to not discuss the intellectual properties that did not make it into the public versions.  Focusing very specifically on the intellectual properties, leaks like this that show a potentially broken product can actually kill sales.  Even with a solid version established, sales can still dwindle because the product has been made available for free.

You are the exception, like myself.  I hate working with PDFs.  I can barely tolerate reading a book on my phone.  I like having a real copy of the corebook, and intend to buy one once the official version is released.
Most people don't care.  It's free.  And someone who worked their ass off to present to them a truly worthwhile project is losing money.

#555 Poseur

Poseur

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

I've also got my hands on the leaked playtest and even though I enjoy being able to read through some stuff i feel it to be disloyal. The act of leaking a playtest is a disloyal act from a select playtester that puts all playtesters in bad reputation.

Though, living in Sweden, I'll have to wait a while before getting my hands on the real book, and F&D will definitely be a no brainer to buy. For once, I'll actually buy both the Beta as soon it comes out to public, and also ofc the CRB next year.

Already started planning a Jedi-campaign set before the clone wars that will go into the imperial era.

• Serif Marak likes this

#556 Castlecruncher

Castlecruncher

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

I admit to having used the accursed Alpha Test that was leaked

If you are going to buy the Beta, awesome.  Buy the official version when it comes out, even better.
But using an illegally distributed copy of the Alpha isn't right in any case.
You could have taken the proper avenues and signed up as an Alpha tester awhile ago; gotten a legit copy.  And then you would have gotten the updates that the testers got that allowed them to sort through some of the holes sent in the Alpha copy.
Further, there are differences (minor and major) between the different versions that can actually break a game.  Some of the Talents were over or under powered heavily and actually made the rest of the game feel cheap.  And some other things were included that have been removed perhaps because FFG intends to use it in later products.
In any case, setting aside the legalities, we had to sign NDA's to not discuss the intellectual properties that did not make it into the public versions.  Focusing very specifically on the intellectual properties, leaks like this that show a potentially broken product can actually kill sales.  Even with a solid version established, sales can still dwindle because the product has been made available for free.
You are the exception, like myself.  I hate working with PDFs.  I can barely tolerate reading a book on my phone.  I like having a real copy of the corebook, and intend to buy one once the official version is released.
Most people don't care.  It's free.  And someone who worked their ass off to present to them a truly worthwhile project is losing money.
Agreed. Like I said, I only plan to use it for now until the time comes when the real book is available for purchase. In fact, I plan to purchase every FFG Star Wars RPG book made. I even plan on purchasing the old EotE Beta off of Amazon, just for collecting. I understand that pirating books can kill a business in multiple ways. I always say that even if I could get it for free through technically legal means, I'd still rather pay for the product to support the company (or to get an actual book; darn you, PDFs!).

I think that only people who plan to buy the Beta, regardless of whether or not they like the stuff in the PDF or would prefer the PDF, should download the PDF file. Even then, I don't suggest it, since it's just not right. The only reason I downloaded the PDF was because my use would not hurt the company as I will still buy the Beta, and then the CRB and all the supplements, and I was REALLY wanting to see how it would turn out (I wanted to check stuff like how many Careers and Force Powers there were). I admit, it may not be the best thing in the world that I use the PDF, but with the finishing of our last campaign, and an idea already stirring for a Force campaign, I couldn't resist the urge to read through the book as a whole.

I do not, however, support freeloading off of a leaked PDF that, as you said, could hurt the business due to it being technically unfinished. Also, if I had known that signing onto an Alpha test team was possible, I'd have signed on in a heartbeat. I'd assumed that it was exclusive to FFG staff, and that you and the others you referred to we're also Forum Members (a few others have posted that they have helped on some books, like KRKappel), not that you were non-FFG people who were allowed to test.

Also (and this doesn't entirely justify downloading he PDF, but is notable), by having the Beta for longer, my group has more time to help work out the kinks. I've already come up with a few ideas and noticed a few discrepancies.

Sorry if this derrailed anything: I just prefer to explain myself than let people lead on to false conclusions.
  • Serif Marak likes this

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim."

-Elie Wiesel

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS