• Please log in to reply
555 replies to this topic

#21 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

Guys, the best way to deal with ErikB is just ignore the little prat. He's got absolutely nothing to contribute in terms of intelligent discussion, and a very long history of ignoring what others have said when it comes to propagating his delusional fantasies. As long as folks are willing to dance to his tune, he's got no reason to change his habits.
  • bladerunner_35, Talley Darkstar, Desslok and 2 others like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#22 Logan Ambrose

Logan Ambrose

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

Fair point donovan.

So, what are people's thoughts on the F&D obligation equivalent? I have a feeling it's going to tie the character to the force and converting dark side points to light side points is going to cause a negative effect.
  • DanteRotterdam likes this

-Let's make it EPIC!!

#23 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

So, in closing, if you wouldn't insist on playing a Jedi in an Edge of the Empire game, don't insist on playing a non-Jedi in a Force and Destiny game.

When the other players have picked Leonardo, Donatello and Michelangelo if you absolutely have to be a special snowflake and not choose Raphael, choose Casey Jones. And if you really must be that guy and play April O'Neil, at least have the decency not to whinge when when you spend the whole game getting kidnapped and waiting to be rescued.

• Josep Maria likes this
If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#24 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

I think the characters in F&D will be newbie force users in the Galactic civil war era. Something like the Heroes TV show where characters discover they have powerz and band together to explore said potential, or like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where they are force sensitives trained in secret by an old Jedi.

That's... actually a constructive reply. Thank you.  It wasn't so hard, was it?

And as for 'princesses', I think most people would like Jedi as a balanced option, not one that makes the Han Solo's and Wedge Antilles types redundant. 

I think many of us will want to play all three versions of this game and incorporate the different elements. It would be a shame if FFG didn't carefully balance their last version with the two that came before.  'Power creep' seems to be something they are wary about. 

#25 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

While "six careers" seems to be the standard, I'm wondering if FFG will break the mold a bit, and perhaps not provide as many careers.  Pretty sure there will be a Jedi career, and I'll be surprised if they don't follow the Consular/Guardian/Sentinel framework that's been in place since the first KOTOR game.  But after that, they could probably go in terms of themes for the other careers, with a "magician/scholar" type who focuses mostly on using the Force, a "warrior" type that's more of a combatant with the Force used to bolster their combat prowess, and maybe even a "dabbler" that's a mix of the two.  It's also possible they could include a "dark sider" career and specializations (such as the Nightsister and Inquisitor).

While over-the-top Force-users are fine and fun for videogames, someone like Kyle Katarn or particularly Starkiller doesn't work well in an RPG as they'll quickly hog the spotlight from everyone else, much the way a high-level wizard does in most editions of D&D.  That's not to say FFG won't include the option to "crank up the dial" to allow certain groups to have such over-the-top characters, but it may just be a sidebar... if it gets included at all.  Of course, easiest way to get Starkiller-type PCs would be to drop the requirements of additional Force Points to activate power upgrades, which the EotE Beta proved would give you ridiculously powerful PC Force-users with just a single Force die.

I hope you're right, Donovan.

I'd be very happy with that personally.  Give us lots of Force options and keep things balanced with the existing characters. 

Edited by Maelora, 29 December 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#26 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

You will be able to play Jedi in an EotE game. That is what FFG is aiming for with their three games. You are the only who wants a "special snowflake", Erik.

• Maelora likes this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#27 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

I don't see any real basis or concern with Jedi being overpowered.  In any of the visual media anyway.  The books get OTT at times but the movies and cartoons portray Jedi as very powerful and very fallible.  

That being said I'm curious why those that immediately pounce and point out that F&D need not or will not have anything to do with the next movies hold that view?  Concern the new movies won't be good?  In regards to what FFG has said before the simple fact is the IP was sold, so anything they may have said before or any plans they had are all subject to review and amendment.  From a business perspective I see little reason to not wait to launch a major game addition that coincides and dovetails into the new canon about to be created.  

Fire away, I've taken cover........

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#28 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

not one that makes the Han Solo's and Wedge Antilles types redundant. 

Shrug. You want to play Han Solo find an Edge of the Empire game. You want to play Wedge Antilles, find an Age of Rebellion game. You want to play Obi-Wan Kenobi, find a Force and Destiny game.

Everyone will be a lot happier that way.

Edited by ErikB, 29 December 2013 - 01:21 PM.

• Josep Maria likes this
If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#29 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Personally I'll be ignoring the new movies regardless, but that's neither here nor there.

As far as I can tell, FFG intended all 3 versions of the game to be set in the time period most SW fans are familiar with - that of the original movies. They do seem to incorporate  prequel and EU stuff in small doses, but the focus is on the 'Classic' era.  I haven't heard anything to say that all the games will be drastically retconned to incorporate whatever Disney to the franchise.

If - as Donovan suggested - they one day release one-off splatbooks to cover other eras (say, new movies, Legacy, prequels, Old Republic) I wouldn't see that as a bad thing either.

• Glorious Chief likes this

#30 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

You want to play Han Solo find an Edge of the Empire game. You want to play Wedge Antilles, find an Age of Rebellion game. You want to play Obi-Wan Kenobi, find a Force and Destiny game.

Everyone will be a lot happier that way.

Apart from the fact that FFG have made it clear that is NOT their intention.   They have always stated that the books are not intended to cover 'levels of power'  but different themes and styles of adventure in the Classic SW era. 

And considering that in previous games, Jedi HAVE proved game-breaking, one can see why they are being left until last this time, so that they can (hopefully) be done right.

As a side-note, FFG have picked up quite a bit of flak because their WH40K games are not compatible.  You can't play an Inquisitor and Imperial Guard and Rogue Trader and Space Marine together, even though they are part of a shared world. 

I get the feeling FFG wish to avoid that situation here. 

• exseraph and Desslok like this

#31 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

Personally I'll be ignoring the new movies regardless, but that's neither here nor there.

As far as I can tell, FFG intended all 3 versions of the game to be set in the time period most SW fans are familiar with - that of the original movies. They do seem to incorporate  prequel and EU stuff in small doses, but the focus is on the 'Classic' era.  I haven't heard anything to say that all the games will be drastically retconned to incorporate whatever Disney to the franchise.

If - as Donovan suggested - they one day release one-off splatbooks to cover other eras (say, new movies, Legacy, prequels, Old Republic) I wouldn't see that as a bad thing either.

You understand though they didn't print a word that wasn't green lit by LucasFilm beforehand correct?

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#32 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

And Force & Destiny certainly doesn't need to be bound to the upcoming movies, especially if it's set during the Rebellion Era, which all indications suggest is going to be the case, as EotE and AoR are both set in that era, and F&D is meant to work in full tandem with those two books.  If the new movies are dealt with at all in the product line, it can be as a supplement, same as if they choice to branch out into the KOTOR/SWTOR, Clone Wars, or Legacy eras.

I don't think there's much room for character development if they just stick to the Rebellion era with F&D.  This is supposedly the tome that will bring us full-fledged Jedi, so if they don't go with the future movies they're going to have to reference pre-Imperial times (and hopefully TCW).

#33 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

And Force & Destiny certainly doesn't need to be bound to the upcoming movies, especially if it's set during the Rebellion Era, which all indications suggest is going to be the case, as EotE and AoR are both set in that era, and F&D is meant to work in full tandem with those two books.  If the new movies are dealt with at all in the product line, it can be as a supplement, same as if they choice to branch out into the KOTOR/SWTOR, Clone Wars, or Legacy eras.

I don't think there's much room for character development if they just stick to the Rebellion era with F&D.  This is supposedly the tome that will bring us full-fledged Jedi, so if they don't go with the future movies they're going to have to reference pre-Imperial times (and hopefully TCW).

See this is where I get stuck.  I just don't how you get to full fledged Jedi if you don'y get past Battle of Endor narratively or mechanically.  Luke is the A game for the Jedi up to that point to me F&D without getting into what comes next is just AoR with some talent trees.

#34 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

I just don't how you get to full fledged Jedi if you don'y get past Battle of Endor narratively or mechanically.

Did you play The Force Unleashed? And the new Rebels show will include Jedi action in period.

If you are not precious about it there is a lot to work with.

And if you are precious about it, well then stick to Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion and your eyes will never be sullied by seeing a lightsaber!

Edited by ErikB, 29 December 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#35 Logan Ambrose

Logan Ambrose

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

It could be more about rediscovering the force and other such esoteric stories.
  • Raistlinrox likes this

-Let's make it EPIC!!

#36 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

I just don't how you get to full fledged Jedi if you don'y get past Battle of Endor narratively or mechanically.

Did you play The Force Unleashed? And the new Rebels show will include Jedi action in period.

If you are not precious about it there is a lot to work with.

And if you are precious about it, well then stick to Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion and your eyes will never be sullied by seeing a lightsaber!

I don't feed trolls.

• bladerunner_35 likes this

#37 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

If you have ever wondered why the Empires other force users like the Inquisitors and The Emperors Shadow Guard and Vader's Secret Apprentices and The Emperor's Hands never got involved in the whole Luke/Vader/Emperor thing, it is clearly because they were too busy taking part in a campaign finale battle royale with Your F&D PCs somewhere else!

Dark_Side_Apprentice.jpg

Star-Wars-Rebels-Inquisitor_zpse89d89ff.

star_wars_the_force_unleashed.jpg

star_wars_rebels_lumiya_by_engelha5t-d6d

Edited by ErikB, 29 December 2013 - 05:10 PM.

• derroehre likes this

#38 Logan Ambrose

Logan Ambrose

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

I am really hoping for a spiritual angle for F&D. Everyone goes gaga over the lightsaber and the force powers, but for me it's the shamanistic wholeness of self and galaxy. The more the story focuses on that the better it will be for me.
  • bladerunner_35, Josep Maria, whafrog and 2 others like this

-Let's make it EPIC!!

#39 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

I am really hoping for a spiritual angle for F&D. Everyone goes gaga over the lightsaber and the force powers, but for me it's the shamanistic wholeness of self and galaxy. The more the story focuses on that the better it will be for me.

Agreed.  I don't really want a mechanic for counting "dark side points", but I do want some way to be able to say "you know, you want to play a Jedi, but that's not a very Jedi thing to do".

#40 Logan Ambrose

Logan Ambrose

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Agreed.  I don't really want a mechanic for counting "dark side points", but I do want some way to be able to say "you know, you want to play a Jedi, but that's not a very Jedi thing to do".

I would like that as long as it was a loose interpretation. Too may time have I come to conflict with GM's and players because of differing options of what the force was.

I was referring to a narrative concept that encouraged you to bring places alive with the force using feelings and emotions to describe the scene.
  • whafrog and Maelora like this

-Let's make it EPIC!!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS