Suns of Fortune has a release date

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

Site just updated and says the book will be on shelves January 23rd. Finally!

• polyheadronman likes this

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#2 Falkrunn

Falkrunn

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

Anyone find it weird that Suns of Fortune was announced *after* Dangerous Covenants but is somehow getting released first?

Suns of Fortune is January 23rd 2014

Dangerous Covenants is February 2014

Jewel of Yavin is 1st Quarter 2014 (  Jan - April )

#3 Colyer

Colyer

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:09 AM

It's interesting, though I wouldn't call it weird. Maybe that's just because I am much more excited for Suns than Covenants.

Edit: That isn't a thing apparently. Silly me.

Edited by Colyer, 29 December 2013 - 02:25 AM.

#4 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

Suns of Fortune was announced on 10 September, http://fantasyflight...s.asp?eidn=4350

Dangerous Covenants was announced 10 October, http://fantasyflight...s.asp?eidn=4410

Each book seems to get two build-up articles (the second of which came out for Suns of Fortune on 25 November: http://fantasyflight...s.asp?eidn=4516 it might be this article that you are mistaking for Suns of Fortune's initial announcement.

The books also seem to get a third article announcing they are in fact on store shelves. Each Star Wars book thus far seems to have gotten this treatment.

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#5 polyheadronman

polyheadronman

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

Excited for this, as it will be the first dedicated "setting" supplement.  

Just as EtU has set the current standard for career splats, SoF will give us the standard for its own bailiwick.  

Based on promo so far, I am looking forward to a book full of not only new species, gear and vehicles, but modular encounters full of local flavour and a more in depth study of how FFG's take on the license expects GMs and PCs to exist in this world.

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

#6 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:09 AM

I hope that they either give us quality maps or they don't bother with maps. I don't want to see wasted space with "not maps" like in Beyond the Rim.
  • Jshock, bladerunner_35, Boros and 4 others like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#7 Yivrael

Yivrael

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

I am really looking forward to the selonians and the new corellian equipment.

• Maelora likes this

#8 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

I am really looking forward to the selonians and the new corellian equipment.

I am actually going to get to play when this comes out, not just GM! SPACE WEASELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, my players hate 'armour' so everyone is looking forward to these cool Corellian longcoats. 

• Yivrael, Mr. Flibble and FangGrip like this

#9 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

And yes, my players hate 'armour' so everyone is looking forward to these cool Corellian longcoats. 

Curious as to why they don't just re-skin "heavy clothing" as something else, such as a bodyglove or blast vest.  Heck, FFG's done it plenty of times, having other forms of "armor" that mechanically are no different than the standard set of heavy clothing.

• bladerunner_35 likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#10 Yivrael

Yivrael

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

We have an outlaw tech in the group, so I mess around with armor/clothing that can be modified.  I tend to use stuff like this as "treasure/loot", its fun because they can use their abilities to upgrade and everything is unique. There is always a lot of fun around rolling the dice pool for an expensive attachment...plus it drains resources from the characters.  

#11 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Curious as to why they don't just re-skin "heavy clothing" as something else, such as a bodyglove or blast vest.  Heck, FFG's done it plenty of times, having other forms of "armor" that mechanically are no different than the standard set of heavy clothing.

There is already "armoured clothing" which is supposed to look like normal clothing, but has a couple of hard points.

#12 themensch

themensch

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

My players hated armor too until we realized the listed encumbrance value in the table was for carrying it, not wearing it.  

#13 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

They just don't think wearing armour is very Star Wars-y.  The only time the movie characters wear it is as part of a disguise (stormtroopers. Boussh) or when they are wearing it primarily for environmental reasons on Hoth.  It's just a visual thing; this isn't Mass Effect or Halo.

Yes, there's armoured clothing, but the Corellian longcoat will look cool.

Our Driver has taken to wearing the racing jumpsuit from 'Enter the Unknown' which suits the character concept. The BGH has one of those little armoured vests.

Otherwise, they don't bother. It seems downright silly for a wookiee or a droid anyway.  I'd probably allow the cyberware mods for the droid character but she's spending all her money on the stat upgrades.

#14 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

They just don't think wearing armour is very Star Wars-y.  The only time the movie characters wear it is as part of a disguise (stormtroopers. Boussh) or when they are wearing it primarily for environmental reasons on Hoth.  It's just a visual thing; this isn't Mass Effect or Halo.

Yes, there's armoured clothing, but the Corellian longcoat will look cool.

Our Driver has taken to wearing the racing jumpsuit from 'Enter the Unknown' which suits the character concept. The BGH has one of those little armoured vests.

Otherwise, they don't bother. It seems downright silly for a wookiee or a droid anyway.  I'd probably allow the cyberware mods for the droid character but she's spending all her money on the stat upgrades.

It's always better to look good than feel good....

Having said that, the comments in regards to armor and gear interest me.  How much custom equipment, weapons, gear etc, does everyone introduce into their games?  I'm looking forward to the book as well but not so much for gear.  Do you all only use/award/find what is listed in the books or do you insert your own offerings into campaigns?

I'm always more interested in the art and more complex rule additions than l am in equipment.  That's just me.  I agree good maps or tangible game aids are nice as well.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#15 bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

My players hated armor too until we realized the listed encumbrance value in the table was for carrying it, not wearing it.  

What made you reach this conclusion?

it takes only a small amount of charitable reading to make the internet dramatically more palatable.

#16 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

If armour is worn, it reduces its encumbrance by 2, I believe.

#17 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

CRB p. 168 under Encumbrance. It's listed value is reduced by 3 when worn with the caveat that's all armor being worn.

Edited by 2P51, 29 December 2013 - 01:24 PM.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#18 bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

CRB p. 168 under Encumbrance. It's listed value is reduced by 3 when worn with the caveat that's all armor being worn.

Funny how you constantly find new details of the rules, apparently having blind spots when reading the rules to begin with. Thanks! My group will be happy to hear this.

it takes only a small amount of charitable reading to make the internet dramatically more palatable.

#19 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

Funny how you constantly find new details of the rules, apparently having blind spots when reading the rules to begin with. Thanks! My group will be happy to hear this.

You're welcome and very kind.  I love FFG's games but they could use a gameplay mechanics editor honestly.

#20 themensch

themensch

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

I know, right?  I stumbled upon that after months of play!  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS