Ok, it's been a while...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zjb12

Zjb12

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Hey! So, it's been a while since I've been on this forum, but my boys got me playing again. What's the important news in the last 2 years(!) yikes has it been that long since I hosted the online tournaments?

#2 Vase

Vase

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

Hey, it's been a while for me too.  Looks like the important news is that this place is dead now.  I want to continue with the threads that juicebox was hosting.  Are you familiar with those?  I came back here really looking forward to the competition, and this is depressing.

Shall we try to get it going again?  I only have the Shadows or Mirkwood cycle and the khazad-dum expansion, so I'm pretty limited in my collection.  But I'd love to start comparing scores in the 3-consecutive game style that was going on here.  That is by far the best system I know for allowing solo players to interact and have fun.

#3 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:13 AM

I really enjoyed participating in this tournament, but it seemed to have died last February.
It was great motivation to play through each scenario 3 times.

Unfortunately, I think there are a few powerful deck archetypes (Outlands,, Dwarves, Aragorn/Frodo/Glorfindel) that limit competitive play, since many players who want to win in competition will probably gravitate towards those types of decks, and that all becomes quite boring.

I'd be happy to participate in something like this, but without restrictions to core set only for a scenario, or all cards up to a certain point, or only 1 core set etc. results will be really unbalanced by what players have available to them.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#4 Vase

Vase

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

I think setting restrictions is fine.  I agree that playing games that favor people with a larger budget is not very fun.  Perhaps there can be different scores for each scenario, based on the card pool the player was able to draw from when creating his/her deck.   I would suggest starting out with rigid restrictions, and then opening it up over time as more and more scenarios are played out and people want to expand the competition.  

#5 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

My suggestion would be that:
Core set scenarios, with the exception of Dol Guldur, be played only with core set cards.
For the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle you can only use cards from core set and that cycle.
For Kahazad-dum you can use all cards printed up to then including Dwarodelf cycle.
Hobbit saga same as above.
Heirs of Numenor and Against the Shadow a player can use all cards printed including Black Riders.

Scores should not be kept for the VoI and the new cycle until the cycle is complete. Any new Saga expansions that come out during the cycle should not be included in scoring until the cycle is complete.

Basically, what this tries to do is create a space for players to use only what was available to a player at the end of a cycle.
That way any new player can come in and compare their scores with a consistent card pool, and it avoids power creep from later expansions.

As for Dol Guldur and any GenCon scenarios, I think any cards can be used.
This will should be the same for Nightmare scenarios, and a player can use any cards they want.

Generally, I don't think the community is really all that interested in "competitive" play, so you might want to see if you get any more interest before trying to revive this, unless your happy doing it with just a few players. In that case you can just compare scores by friending them and checking out the Quest Log. Feel free to check out mine if you want.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#6 Vase

Vase

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

I think you suggestions for the card restrictions are good. 

I'm not necessarily looking for brutal cuthroat competition.  But what I really liked about Juicebox's format was the need to play three consecutive games.  I was active here on the forums before Juicebox went to that format and it was horrible because people would sit and deal cards, then forfeit if they didn't like the deal.  So people could essentially deal themselves as many  hands as they wanted until they got a really good one.  At that point, the question was "why don't you just choose your starting hand?"  This is the kind of thing I feel I would come up against when comparing Quest Log scores with another player, which is why it's not very appealing to me.  I want to compare scores for three consecutive games because that is where it really gets fun and there is so much more involved than luck.

I'm willing to sort of "revive" this idea, even if there are only a handful of players wanting to participate.   Anyone else interested? 

#7 Zjb12

Zjb12

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Great ideas. Not sure if I could host it or not. I do remember juicebox's tourneys and enjoyed them. (and I did shamelessly sometime do what you mentioned, though once the format changed to 3 games in a row, that began to solve that problem.). I'd be interested in seeing it go again, my boys probably would too. Right nw we are banging our heads trying to beat the first Numenor expansion quest, peril in pelargir.
  • Vase likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS