• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BadLuckGuardsman

BadLuckGuardsman

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:38 AM

Hi!

I've recently got into the game, and after completing the Mirkwood scenario of the core set, I moved onto the second quest, only to get my backside kicked every single time. I know nothing of deck building in this game system, so I was wondering if there are any tips anyone could suggest to me as a basis for building successful decks, like what's the minimum/maximum card limit in a deck, what cards work well with what, just to get me going along the track :)

Thanks!

#2 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

Minimum 50 cards in your deck (max 3 copies of a card) + 1-3 Heroes, if you play solo (1 deck) this is a really hard game for a new player to deck constructing games, if you play with 2 decks (2 player or 2handed) a good approach is to build 1 questing and 1 combat deck .

• Dwarf king Bronze beard likes this

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

#3 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

If all you have is the core set, especially if you're pretty new to building decks.in general, it's going to be tough. It kinda sucks but you really need to spend a bit more money before you're actually able to have much chance unless you really know your stuff.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#4 BadLuckGuardsman

BadLuckGuardsman

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

Well I am planning on getting some adventure packs in the nearby future,I was just curious as to whether it's possible to manage with the core set alone, but that's great thank you!  :D

#5 Sourceror

Sourceror

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

It is possible and i am having a blast with it.

Just forget about the 50 cards tournament rule when constructing a deck from the Core Set, and create  decks with only 30 cards instead.

It will make the deck building more interesting especially with the limited card pool.

Edited by Sourceror, 31 December 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#6 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Hi!

I've recently got into the game, and after completing the Mirkwood scenario of the core set, I moved onto the second quest, only to get my backside kicked every single time. I know nothing of deck building in this game system, so I was wondering if there are any tips anyone could suggest to me as a basis for building successful decks, like what's the minimum/maximum card limit in a deck, what cards work well with what, just to get me going along the track :)

Thanks!

I found this really helpful when starting out:  http://talesfromthec...k-building-101/

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#7 bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

I'll hijack this thread since I'm a noob and the OP's question is answered:

If I buy a core set and my friend owns another core set, what are the restrictions we need to observe when building our decks?

As I read it the only hard restriction is that only one unique card can be in play at any one time.

Also, if we're playing with tournament rules our decks need to have 50 cards or more, but this can be ignored.

There are really no other restrictions, am I right? For instance, we could both play a Spirit/Tactic deck as long as we don't plan on using the same unique cards.
it takes only a small amount of charitable reading to make the internet dramatically more palatable.

#8 Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

You're right about the restrictions:

It doesn't matter what is in your deck as long only one copy of a unique card is on the table and each deck can only have 3 copies of a single card.  You and your friend can each run three Gandalfs in your decks (six total), as long as only one is on the table at a time.

Most people build 50 card decks, especially once their cardpool grows, but with the core its reasonable to build smaller decks.  That way you have less filler.  If you're combining spheres, it's not too difficult to build a 50 card dual-sphere deck.

These two sites have lots of great ideas for deck building and general strategy advice:

http://talesfromthec....wordpress.com/

http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/

• bladerunner_35 likes this

#9 bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:39 AM

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

it takes only a small amount of charitable reading to make the internet dramatically more palatable.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS