Rogue Trader: training skills/ enhancing stats

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 ZaelStarlocke

ZaelStarlocke

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

I'm a bit new to be honest, but for my rogue trader character, I summed up to my freind that my goal was to pilot a mech-like machine. I still don't know exactly what it would be most similar to but that's not what i'm concerned about. obviously, roguee trader does not get pilt (personal), which is needed for this particular item, and even if i get hotshot pilot, that's basic  so here's what i'm asking: is there a way to enhance my agility other than through experience purchaing so that it becomes a bit better, OR is there a way for me to make the pilot (personal) skill TRAINED? thank you if you read this and thank you if you respond with helpful info.

#2 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

Take it as an Elite Advance. Page 39 RT. GM is the deciding factor though on how much it costs (ussually 500+xp), and if it is plausible.

Edit: The above reference was for the skill. As for increasing agility without spending xp, some bionics can increase it. I am currently trying to find a page references for the ones that do.

Edited by Nameless2all, 27 December 2013 - 06:08 PM.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#3 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

All I could find was the Bionic Arm, pg 148 RT, for delicate manipulation, and a drug called Slaught, pg 142 RT. For some reason I thought they had something similar to Wired/Boosted Reflexes in SR. Guess that was some of my custom built stuff. Now that I think about it, I think I'm going to find it and post it on here in the GM or House Rule forum.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#4 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:22 AM

Wouldn't a mech require Pilot (Walker)? Not to say that you can't house rule it any way you want, but I wouldn't call Pilot (Personal) the *obvious* choice.

I'd consider a Flip-Belt. +20 to Agility tests is nothing to sneeze at.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#5 ZaelStarlocke

ZaelStarlocke

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

hmm...what page is the flip belt Magellan? From the sound of that, it might have to do with certain skills that have to do with physically maneuvering the body and not piloting but then again i need to find it and check out the rules. by my calculations, with the advancements and my MIU, and getting hotshot pilot(granting all pilot skills i don't have at basic), my agility skill should become 49 (due to my pilot personal or walker becoming basic and thus halving my agility before I add 20 from MIU) getting an additional 20 to bring that to 69 would be pretty dang nice. And thank you too Nameless, I'll look into those and do some research based on your suggestions, as well as talk to my GM.

#6 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Pg 136 ITS.

#7 ZaelStarlocke

ZaelStarlocke

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

hmm....it does say ALL agility based tests. and i could only use it when i get the pilot (personal) skill but since it does NOT say anything about that skill needing to be trained, just that you have it, which makes it an incredible solution. Thanks Namless for the location and thanks megellen for revealing it. Both of you are awesome.

#8 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

hmm....it does say ALL agility based tests. and i could only use it when i get the pilot (personal) skill but since it does NOT say anything about that skill needing to be trained, just that you have it, which makes it an incredible solution. Thanks Namless for the location and thanks megellen for revealing it. Both of you are awesome.

Trained means you've bought the skill (with XP or it comes on your advance table, e.g. like Rogue Traders get Command and can purchase Scholastic Lore: Imperial Warrants). Untrained means you do not possess the skill. 

Basic Skills can be used untrained, with a base target number of half the relevant characteristic, before other mods. Advanced Skills cannot be used untrained at all.

The Pilot macroskill is an Advanced Skill.

Ergo saying "this requires the Pilot: Personal skill to use" means you need to have it trained, and cannot attempt skill tests of Pilot: Personal untrained.

This is a bad case of the writer not using the proper terms of art to avoid confusion, but there's no ambiguity. You can't use the flip belt unless you have Pilot: Personal as a trained skill.

Edited by Kshatriya, 30 December 2013 - 09:51 AM.

• Tenebrae likes this

#9 SirFrog

SirFrog

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

As far as I read it, the Hotshot Pilot gives you the Pilot (Personal) on a Basic level. This means you have the skill. If he hadn't had that Talent, he couldn't have used it, since Pilot is an Advanced Skill, which cannot be attempted unless you have it trained, or on a Basic level due to Talents, Traits or Origin Path things.

#10 ZaelStarlocke

ZaelStarlocke

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:57 AM

I'm looking over the talents and the ranks for the rogue trader and it doesn't seem to have hotshot pilot anywhere in the ranks for the rogue trader, which perplexes me since my friend insists that I can get it. Then again, our GM is allowing for skills and talent purchase for such things at an additional price, though I feel I want to stay away from that. So, if it's possible, how would I even go about getting hotshot pilot, or what you guys say I need which is specifically pilot (personal) trained (which is better period). This is starting to seem more an more implausible by the minute and i should probably change my plans.

#11 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:55 AM

By RAW I think only Legend of Expanse (Into the Storm p.89) can get RT a pilot (personal) skill, but it's for a rank 6+ only... Taking this is also dependable on GMS decision so I strongly suggest talking to him/her anyway. There may be something interesting in other FFG 40k lines I'm not aware of, yet it's also all up to GM. Other than this is: turning your mech-like machine into a quite specifiv servitor and gaining control by colchite servo-master (Navis Primer p. 72-73, btw: taking cog-whisperer (p. 86) also seems fine) or brewing some kind of trade skill related with mech-like machines - a bit stretchy  but I'm afraid that's all I got. Talk to GM.

#12 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

I'm looking over the talents and the ranks for the rogue trader and it doesn't seem to have hotshot pilot anywhere in the ranks for the rogue trader, which perplexes me since my friend insists that I can get it. Then again, our GM is allowing for skills and talent purchase for such things at an additional price, though I feel I want to stay away from that. So, if it's possible, how would I even go about getting hotshot pilot, or what you guys say I need which is specifically pilot (personal) trained (which is better period). This is starting to seem more an more implausible by the minute and i should probably change my plans.

You ask for an Elite Advance, figure out an appropriate cost with your GM (usually 150-200% of the cost it's listed on another table that actually offers it as a purchase - e.g. if Void-Masters get Hotshot Pilot for 500, a fair price for a Rogue Trader might be 750-1000) and figure out exactly how/where you learned it.

My mistake above is forgetting Hotshot Pilot. The general rule is you cannot use a Pilot skill untrained, because Pilot is an Advanced Skill, not a Basic Skill. Hotshot Pilot is a specific rule that turns Pilot from Advanced to Basic for you, and allows you to use it untrained.

I know you can get Pilot Personal trained at chargen through the Origin Path though, I've done it with an Arch-Militant who had a hard-on for using Eldar gear.

Edited by Kshatriya, 31 December 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#13 ZaelStarlocke

ZaelStarlocke

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

ok, i couldn't get away with using the flip belt for ALL my agility saves, but for the mech, it seems that it's still within a certain amount of reason. still negotiating. As for hotshot pilot, i'm going to chat with the GM to see if i can replace one of my other pilot skills with that. Anyway, back to agility modification, because even after the 4 advances i can purchase according to the book, i'll still only be at 48 agility (even if i get a +20 from my MIU, if compatable, to all pilot /drive making it 68 for that time). curses, so much to read, so little time  >:(...perhaps a bionic implant or modification of some sort.....also, thank you for clearing everything up Kshatriya.

#14 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

What mech are you talking about? 

#15 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

Anyway, back to agility modification, because even after the 4 advances i can purchase according to the book, i'll still only be at 48 agility (even if i get a +20 from my MIU, if compatable, to all pilot /drive making it 68 for that time).

48? After four increases? That's ... unimpressive. That's four increaes of 5 each, agreed?

So you started at 28, which would be a roll of 3? For what looks like you're planning to be your main stat?

Am I missing something?

• Kshatriya likes this

#16 ZaelStarlocke

ZaelStarlocke

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

my mistake, i entered that and was tired as hell. the agility would be 58 after the increases, so actually 78 when added with an MIU (if posible for whatever it is). and I'm always trying to find ways to increase my stats in whatever way possible. yes, i know that there are other people that can do things and are suited to doing so would like to have fun and not have what their character is good at taken away, but Sometimes, once in a while, i'd like to do something (usually if i'm not actually taking away someones experience). as for the "what mech?" question, my freind still hasn't told me where he found it but i'll talk to him tonight and find out.

#17 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

my mistake, i entered that and was tired as hell. the agility would be 58 after the increases, so actually 78 when added with an MIU (if posible for whatever it is). and I'm always trying to find ways to increase my stats in whatever way possible. yes, i know that there are other people that can do things and are suited to doing so would like to have fun and not have what their character is good at taken away, but Sometimes, once in a while, i'd like to do something (usually if i'm not actually taking away someones experience). as for the "what mech?" question, my freind still hasn't told me where he found it but i'll talk to him tonight and find out.

No worries, that happens to the best of us

#18 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

I probably would not allow an MIU to interface with a piece of xenos gear like a flip belt. Completely incompatible technology systems.

38 before Advances is just okay. You can probably pick up some more with particular Origin Path choices.

#19 LordBlades

LordBlades

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

I probably would not allow an MIU to interface with a piece of xenos gear like a flip belt. Completely incompatible technology systems.

You should probably be able to get an Eldar version of MIU. MIUs are such universally useful devices that I highly doubt most races wouldn't have developed their own equivalent.

#20 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

Do you mean like a Battlemech? If so then I would rule that a flip belt would not help you one little bit! Flip belts serve to enhance the wearers agility thus allowing them to do anime like acrobatics and such! Allowing them to enhance piloting a mech (Assuming you could find such a piece of archeotech) is an abuse of the rules! That said, While I know of know good visual images of it, The AdMech sometimes fields a device called a "Knight". This is essentially a mini-titan who's description seems somewhat similar to a medium class battlemech!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS