Lunar-class build, 73SP

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Sebastian Yorke

Sebastian Yorke

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

I am looking for ideas on a Lunar class build for a new group. Need ideas and opinions!

Class
Lunar

Essentials
Jovian Pattern Class 4 Drive
Miloslav H-616.b Warp Engine
Belecane-Pattern 90.r Gellar Field
Multiple Void Shield Array
Ship Master's Bridge
Vitae Pattern Life Sustainer
Voidsman Quarters
Deep Void Auger Array

Supplementals
Luxury Passenger Quarters
Cargo Hold and Lighter Bay
Barracks

Weapons
Hecutor-Pattern Plasma Battery

RT Wannabe Shipwright & Frustrated GM

#2 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

You love living dangerously with that Belecane, huh? The Hecutors are nice but I'm not a fan of their Strength, even with the Salvo rules you're going to use an awful lot of Strength to cut through the armour and apply the damage.

If you're cool with those Hecutors, then one suggestion I'd make is to downgrade to the M-201b array and regain 1 SP. Then, downgrade the Crew Quarters to Poor quality (to hell with them anyway) and then grab the Warpbane Hull. Unless -20 to the Warp Encounters table really is part of the fun of the ship...

#3 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

No prow weapons?  If you don't have the Armoured Prow (and you don't) there's no reason to not mount a weapon up front.  To quote an anonymous ork, "Give it some dakka!"

Cheers,

- V.

#4 Sebastian Yorke

Sebastian Yorke

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

Lack of SP :(

RT Wannabe Shipwright & Frustrated GM

#5 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

I'm a big fan of limiting yourself on a build to ensure that you get a balanced build, but what is the overall goal with this Cruiser? Are you trying to have it do a little bit of everything? The Luxury Passenger Quarters and Barracks kind of throw me a bit, because I imagine you'll get few jobs that call for the use of both.

You can always slap an Auto-Temple or two on this ship, as those cost 0SP for some reason. Presumably the Ecclesiarchy sells them at a discount in the hope of spreading the word of the Emperor. You might also want to consider swapping out two Hecutor Plasma Batteries for a pair of Jovian Landing Bays and a Prow Sunhammer Lance for a bit more of a punch.

If you like that idea I would swap out the Lunar hull for a Dictator Cruiser, and downgrade the Deep Void Augur Array to a M-201.b. You lose 2 manoeuverability, but gain 3 detection and have better fighter bays.

• Marwynn likes this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#6 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Join the Dictator club! I have a 73 SP build (wink, wink) as well...

I think this Lunar can work, though I'm not sold on the Hecutors. The range is great, but I'd be willing to eat 2 VUs of range for the Sunsears (over all the bands) in exchange for 1 extra Strength. If you're using RAW, then you can even place a Sunsear Laser Battery on the Prow and salvo three of those suckers.

That's 3 SP, 4 if you downgrade from the Deep Void Array. You can add a Trophy Room, an Observation Dome, or really anything else you want.

#7 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

Makes me happy that the Dictator hull, not so popular IN the galaxy of 40k, militarily-speaking, anyway, IS popular with players. My favorite built ship, for my Rogue Trader, is the Hammerfall, also a Dictator. Yay!!!

#8 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:23 AM

I guess you would have to compare it to a "standard" Lunar Cruiser. A good example of which can be found on pg. 64 of "Battlefleet Koronus". The Sirius has a very experienced crew but other than that is nothing exceptional for an Imperial cruiser. I think in a straight up fight I think the Sirius would beat this proposed pattern. The reason is that it both outguns and out armors your version. Admittedly, it's range for it's primary armament is quite shorter but since it will typically come in behind a volley of torpedoes you will be busy! Additionally, It's ap 24 forward hull will go a long way toward mitigating your plasma batteries once it's shields are down. On the attack: The Sirius outguns you! The Prow torpedoes and and lances will Slice and blast a ship to pieces while your ship can only fight from the broadside. Also, In cruiser level engagements; Lances are almost a must! The ability to ignore armor will really shorten a straight up slugging match where shields will likely be down from the first Macrobattery volley.

Remember that the Lunar is the Standard Imperial cruiser more than any other class. It is very well rounded for combat at both range and in close. When I used to play BFG it was a VERY rare fleet that didn't include at least one Lunar for it's all-round capability.

#9 Ruwalk

Ruwalk

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

To be honest id go for the tyrant of the lunar class since there the exact hull but the tyrant has two more space for one more sp. 

#10 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

My advice is to go with a Chalice-class battlecruiser. The base cost is only 3 SP more, and in return you get a battlecruiser drive and more firepower. Fill it up with Sunsears (and some Sunsear broadsides, if you can find the room), and you'll still have SP left for additional components.

#11 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

My advice is to go with a Chalice-class battlecruiser. The base cost is only 3 SP more, and in return you get a battlecruiser drive and more firepower. Fill it up with Sunsears (and some Sunsear broadsides, if you can find the room), and you'll still have SP left for additional components.

Hmm, I dunno. The Overlord's only 1 SP more, has more space, and isn't prone to exploding when critted.

• Tenebrae likes this

#12 Ruwalk

Ruwalk

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:39 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the bc anyway should just wait and get a grand cruiser but that's just my thought on them. 

• Tenebrae likes this

#13 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

Hmm, I dunno. The Overlord's only 1 SP more, has more space, and isn't prone to exploding when critted.

Good point. I tried making a build, and more Space could indeed be useful, both in the short and long run.

#14 Mordechai Von Razgriz

Mordechai Von Razgriz

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

Let's see what you can get with 73 SP with an Overlord...

Overlord : 64 Sp.

Essentials

Saturnine Pattern Class 4a Drive
Miloslav H-616.b Warp Engine
Geller Field
Multiple Void Shield Array
Ship Master's Bridge
Clemency pattern Life Sustainer
Voidsman Quarters
X470 Ultimo Array

Supplementals
Luxury Passenger Quarters (1 Sp)
poor quality Barracks (1 Sp)
Autotemple (0 sp)

Melodium or Poor quality Manufactorum or Observation Dome (1 sp)

Weapons
Sunsear Laser Battery (prow) (1 sp)
Sunsear Laser Battery (dorsal) (1sp)
Sunsear Laser Broadside (port) (1 sp)
Sunsear Laser Broadside (starboard) (1 sp)
Poor quality  Jovian Launch Bay or Sunsear Laser Broadside (port) (1 sp)
Poor quality Jovian Launch Bay or Sunsear Laser Broadside (starboard) (1 sp)

Total : 73 sp.

• Nameless2all and Marwynn like this

Cum historia mutat valde, Razgriz revelat ipsum; Primum Monstrum scelestus est.
Cum potentia sua Monstrum fondet mortem in terram, Deinde moritur.
Cum somnus finit, Razgriz surget iterum, Magnus heros est.

Game Master of http://excathedra.forum-gratuit.net/, Rogue Trader PbP campaign.

#15 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

I'm still amazed FFG made the Auto Temple at 0 sp.....   Sorry, nuff said on that.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#16 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:06 AM

I'm still amazed FFG made the Auto Temple at 0 sp.....   Sorry, nuff said on that.

I was kinda hoping it would come with some drawbacks. Some Ecclesiarchial entanglements. I guess it just gives the GM ammo.

• Erathia likes this

#17 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

Well they didn't, and that means those pesky feral worlds can totally fall victim to Operation Temple Drop when bringing them into compliance.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#18 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

I remain convinced that it is a type.

#19 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

I remain convinced that it is a type.

You're scoring maximum irony points here, because I think you meant "typo".

Also what part of a vessel carrying 15 Auto-Temples strapped to its underbelly as it proceeds through the cold void of space is unrealistic? I mean more so than anything else in the setting.

• Nameless2all, Vandegraffe and Tenebrae like this

#20 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Why thank you for the irony points! :)

And yes, ofcourse that typo was intentional *coughcough* :D

• Erathia likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS