• 734 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

I would consider Lightning claws a "blade" type weapon btw

#22 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:31 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to add: Why in the blue hell are chainaxes and power axes two-handed weapons now? That's wiggity wack, yo!

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#23 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to add: Why in the blue hell are chainaxes and power axes two-handed weapons now? That's wiggity wack, yo!

I noticed this just yesterday. Given the listed weight of the chainaxe, I'm not surprised it can only be used two-handed -- you have to be a seriously strong person to use a 13kg axe in one hand!

With that said, the newfound two-handedness of these weapons makes them much less appealing choices for arming a PC. It's hard to imagine using a chainaxe when I could use an eviscerator instead. In the case of power weapons, the Omnissian Axe provides a considerably stronger punch than the power axe.

For the sake of encouraging weapon variety, I wish they'd change the power & chain axes back to one-handed weapons. The eviscerator and Omnissian axe fill the two-handed weapon niche nicely, and with those two weapons available there's really no reason to use the weaker axes. I like having a meaningful choice between the hitting power of an axe and the parrying ability of a sword, and with the chain/power axes relegated to the two-weapon slot there's few alternatives to the swords as one-handed weapons.

EDIT: For sanity's sake, I'd reduce the weight of the chainaxe to something that could realistically be used one-handed by a human. 9kg seems like a good number to me -- that's about 20lbs, still a lot, but this is a fantasy game after all :D

Edited by Covered in Weasels, 14 January 2014 - 09:21 AM.

• yggZ likes this

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#24 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Power axes have it bad enough already because their Unbalanced nature means that they can't be used to Lightning Attack, and Blademaster doesn't let them negate dual-wielding penalties like they do with chainswords. Is it just me or is this game biased towards swords?

Some people might restrict the Omnissian Axe to only Mechanicus characters, but a Thunder Hammer still easily fits the two-handed role. Speaking of which! Why use a regular Hammer when you could be using a Great Weapon?

• Covered in Weasels likes this

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#25 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Power axes have it bad enough already because their Unbalanced nature means that they can't be used to Lightning Attack, and Blademaster doesn't let them negate dual-wielding penalties like they do with chainswords. Is it just me or is this game biased towards swords?

Some people might restrict the Omnissian Axe to only Mechanicus characters, but a Thunder Hammer still easily fits the two-handed role. Speaking of which! Why use a regular Hammer when you could be using a Great Weapon?

Very heavily biased towards swords. I'll start a new thread for this right now since it's a very important topic.

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#26 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

While personally I may prefer swords, I also agree with all the bias towards them. The dual wielder capstone talent for 2 melee should either be flat or have 2 of them, one swords, one anything else.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS