Max Mutations

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Calgor Grim

Calgor Grim

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hypothetical question, trying to work out the max number of mutations/gift of the gods that a character can get. I think it can only be done as a human as I haven't looked at it with Chaos Marines.

I'm working on the following logic:

• Humans generate gifts of the gods naturally at 10, 20 40, 60 and 80 corruption.
  • Alignments are tested to gods every 10 CPs
  • Losing alignment to a god auto incurs a roll on the table as per p82.
  • Ignore the EXP requirements or the need to get the relevant alignment shifting elements between levels. Thats exempt. 
  • As I understand it, marks are gained for taking five advancements from a Gods path than any other. This however also ties back into the previous assumption.

10 - First human gift also align character to a god.

20 - Second human gift, maintain alignment

30 - Leave alignment, punishment from gods.

40 - Third human gift, regain alignment to a god.

50 - Leave alignment, punishment from gods.

60 - Fourth human gift, regain alignment to a god.

70 - Leave alignment, punishment from gods.

80 - Fifth human gift, regain alignment to a god.

90 - Leave alignment, punishment from gods.

100 - N/A (Character ascends/mutates to a spawn.)

So I work out a maximum of nine "gifts". I am aware that playing the system like this is massive power gaming and might end up being punished by the Gods for trying to manipulate their blessings etc. and most GMs would throw a huge brick or rock at someone for daring it. Is this logic even partially correct? Just trying to understand more about the system and such. Also working on random NPCs to see if I can corrupt one to hell!

Edited by Calgor Grim, 26 December 2013 - 02:00 PM.

Loyal Missionary Father Grim of the Kingston 293rd Storm Troopers

#2 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

If you want to power game like that you might as well "acquire" a daemon weapon, probably something small like a dagger, with the power mutating and then cut yourself with it a number of times each day until you have mutations coming out the wahoo.

#3 BrotharTearer

BrotharTearer

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

There's no limit. You can receive Gifts as secondary effects from psychic powers and stuff.

• Koma76 likes this

#4 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:16 AM

The punishments are failings, no? Which are likely to be  bad.

So while this is metagaming, I wouldn't call it powergaming.

• Koma76 likes this

#5 Calgor Grim

Calgor Grim

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

I'm excusing mutations gained from psychic powers and weapons as these are entirely dependant on the GM and such. I'm more looking at "natural causes". I also fully expect that many of these would be from failings and the end result would be unpleasant. This is assuming my character is even resembling a human and not a gibbering spawn! 

Ta for confirming though chaps.

#6 BrotharTearer

BrotharTearer

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:56 AM

I'm excusing mutations gained from psychic powers and weapons as these are entirely dependant on the GM and such.

Why would they be dependant on the GM?

#7 Calgor Grim

Calgor Grim

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

I'm excusing mutations gained from psychic powers and weapons as these are entirely dependant on the GM and such.

Cause it depends what pointy objects and powers he throws at us. We haven't got any party psykers so there wont be any used in a passive sense. :)

#8 BrotharTearer

BrotharTearer

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

Cause it depends what pointy objects and powers he throws at us. We haven't got any party psykers so there wont be any used in a passive sense. :)

We were talking theoretically and generally. You can technically use the powers on yourselves. Assuming you survive the uses.

That you don't have any psykers in the group or that it depends on what kind of enemies your GM throws at you is irrelevant.

#9 Bellevue

Bellevue

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

Amusingly, I passed 10 corruption the same game session that I resisted a psychic power that causes mutation. The GM accepted my suggestion that I hadn't so much resisted it as mastered it, since I got a mutation I'd wanted.

Edited by Bellevue, 04 January 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#10 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

I mean, you could get a lot of mutations from being punished by the gods, but why would you want to?  You have to roll twice and take the *worst* mutation.

#11 Drachdhar

Drachdhar

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Hmm...

Wrong in a way... 

You get aligned to a God by having five(5) more advances to that God than any other. And you do not get punished in any way for leaving alignment unless the PC is a Berzerker. To get a Mark you need 20 Advances in one Gods path and you have to be aligned to that same Deity or roll appropriate reward... We also have an "uber" Mark for having 20 advances and the reward.

If you leave alignment AND have a Mark you immediately roll on the Gift of the Gods twice and choose the worse result.

Then again, why anyone would want more Gifts other than Rewards is beyond me. A handful are decent to good, rest are either plain bad or simply just boring... Not that many either, 46 Gifts... Compared to WFRP2 which had 169, and more Rewards as well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS