Photo

Where are Ancient One Other World Cards?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 BenEggler

BenEggler

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hello and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays! :)

I had a quick question that I hope someone could answer. I know that there exist "Other World" cards that when drawn, result in the investigator actually having to fight one of the Ancient Ones in the game. It's an absolutely brutal, wonderful concept that I so badly want to be in my games!

I actually have two questions:

1. Which expansion are these in? I have all except Miskatonic, Black Goat, and Dark Pharaoh. Whichever one has those is the one I'm getting next.

2. Is there a card like this for EVERY single Ancient One in the game or is it just for the vanilla Arkham Old Ones? I'm hoping there's one for every one.

Thanks in advance! :)

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

BenEggler,

The ones of interest to you are found in Curse of the Dark Pharoah.  Not every AO is mentioned as many expansions came later than this expansion.  Here are the ones in the expansion:

• Yuggoth: Shub-Niggurath
  • R'Lyeh: Cthulhu
  • Plateau of Leng: Ithaqua

Cheers,

Joe 

Edited by The Professor, 25 December 2013 - 08:59 PM.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 BenEggler

BenEggler

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

BenEggler,

The ones of interest to you are found in Curse of the Dark Pharoah.  Not every AO is mentioned as many expansions came later than this expansion.

Cheers,

Joe 

Thanks, Joe!

Are the rest of the Ancient Ones not added in Miskatonic? That seems like a pretty smart thing for Fantasy Flight to do.

#4 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

Nope. Miskatonic does not add the other Ancient Ones. There's only the 3 Other World encounters.

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

BenEggler,

You would have thought so...but, alas, it's not to be.  Maybe in the future, FFG will run small expansions geared for specific AOs.  Who knows, it might be a big-seller for them.  Truthfully, I'm quite content with where the line has ended.  EH holds absolutely no appeal for me, except as a possible avenue for our Crafthulhu pieces as Richard Launius asked me to consider making them for the game.  For a thematic board game, AH will be my 'go-to' for the long term.  For a strong "dice & card' driven game, I'll stick with ES.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:33 AM

Joe, after some time spent investigating the Eldritch Horror, I can assure you what you've created so far can be used also for Eldritch: Neighborhood displays are perfect to host the bigger cards, and the Item Tray should perfectly work for Assets and Conditions. The only things that differ for dimensions are AOs and Investgator sheets, so that another Ancient One display / Player's plate are probably the only possible options for further development.

(just to drop you some feedback, then you're the marketing expert)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

Thanks, Julia! 

As a way to attract a whole new following from the Eldritch Horror players, I'll pursue another Kickstarter Campaign.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

Good to know :) Gonna send you some stuff via wetransfer now :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#9 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

I think fantasy flight gave up on arkham horror (no more expansions to be released). FF must have changed arkham for this new eldritch horror. I think they'll invest on eldritch horror from now on. Do anyone think am i right?

#10 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

I think FFG isn't quite ready to stop producing things for their biggest selling game ever, but I think they are at a loss of what else they can reasonably and lucratively add. I also remember reading somewhere that Richard Launius said he hasn't forgotten about AH, implying that they were working on something. Honestly, though, I think they are out of ideas for expansions and I just can't see what else they could produce in terms of an expansion. But I can see them releasing some PoD stuff like a revised Ancient One pack, and maybe even some new AOs, investigators, heralds, and guardians. I would very much like to see something that improves the dilution for BGotW's Cult Membership and Corruption.

• Julia likes this

#11 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:36 AM

There's a lot of space to keep on expanding the line. Just look at the fan creations, adding not only AOs, Heralds and similar stuff, but entire new expansion boards, worlds, and so on. Last year, the boardgame production of FFG was somehow not so big as usual, but they did a lot of other things (pushing Star Wars games: LCG, X-Wing and the RPGs - remember, they have 3 RPGs scheduled, according to the wokipedia set in three different moments of the civil war timeline; creating a new center; acquiring the cardgames.db and so on). Plus, Kevin left in 2012, immediately after GenCon, and I think this required some extra time to find who could supply him on certain line (just speculating, no idea really, but it seems to me quite logical). After GenCon 2013, we've seen some lines resurrecting / continuing (Wiz-War got an expansion, for example; Talisman got two; Descent is receiving constant support) and some new lines arriving (Eldritch Horror, a game I suppose will see several expansions arriving in not geological times), so that it's like there is quite a big activity on the boardgame front again.

Plus, EH is an interesting game, but I know many people playing Arkham unhappy with Eldritch, and many people who were unhappy with Arkham now happy with Eldritch. So, I see the two games having a wider spectrum of fan, and not interfering too much

As Jackman said, I won't be so worried the line is closed: it's still one of their bestselling games, and as long as a game sells, a company has an advantage in investing in that line. Let's see what happens next, but unless FFG declares it's the end of the line, I keep on waiting, patiently

• Musha Shukou and Garthnait like this

#12 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

Julia,

I anxiously await the transfer!

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#13 kilrah

kilrah

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

For me two things could/should be added to AH.

1. More thematic clue mechanism. Something more like the missions that require you to hit certain locations in order to get clues. Mechanically instead of placing clue tokens on the board clue missions would be placed that if fulfilled give 2+ tokens.

2. Sidequests. Kinda like rumors, but more or less just positive. These could be integrated as a new token (like the whispers token). They need time but give nice to awesome rewards and offer the player chances to see other parts of 'lovecraft country',

#14 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Plus, EH is an interesting game, but I know many people playing Arkham unhappy with Eldritch, and many people who were unhappy with Arkham now happy with Eldritch. So, I see the two games having a wider spectrum of fan, and not interfering too much

You have forgotten the many that are fine with both games like me, because they are really different games in the same HP setting. :D 

• Julia and spalanzani like this

Dices, cubic messengers of fate.

#15 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

You have forgotten the many that are fine with both games like me, because they are really different games in the same HP setting. :D

Fair enough :D My point was simply that the two "audience" aren't necessary the same, so that there should be enough space for both games to be developed :)

#16 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, there's tons of fan-made content that is just so great and I love it. But most fan-made content brings completely different worlds into the Arkham world and I just don't see, or think they should, FFG borrowing material from outside sources. Granted, I haven't read everything out there, but is there still anything out in the Cthulhu-verse that hasn't been touched on yet that could be expansion worthy?

Edited by Musha Shukou, 27 December 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#17 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:17 AM

Honestly as far as Arkham goes I would most like to see some of the older material revisited and tweaked. Rebalance some of the characters, beef up some of the Ancient Ones who fell behind (Loooking at you, Hastur, and it's driving me crazy), maybe change some mechanics that had interesting ideas but poor implementation, like the Cult of the Thousand.

Edited by Wolfgar, 30 December 2013 - 01:19 AM.

#18 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:14 AM

Don't know if you've seen it, but there's a revised Hastur released for Arkham Nights, in 2011. I know it's not in an official expansion, but if you need to change a little the old 8-clue boredom, it's a great revision :)

#19 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

to Kilrah,

My guess is that you do not yet own Innsmouth Horror...the Personal Stories serve ostensibly as the 'sidequests' which you mentioned.  They're a great addition to any game.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#20 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, there's tons of fan-made content that is just so great and I love it. But most fan-made content brings completely different worlds into the Arkham world and I just don't see, or think they should, FFG borrowing material from outside sources. Granted, I haven't read everything out there, but is there still anything out in the Cthulhu-verse that hasn't been touched on yet that could be expansion worthy?

In terms of Other Worlds, no, they pretty much covered all there is to cover in the actual given Mythos. They might be able to break it down further to locations within those places, but since they make reference to things like Ulthar in the Dreamlands etc, then they probably wouldn't.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS