Your House Ruled Requisition System

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PencilBoy99

PencilBoy99

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Please share any house rules you have using a "requisition" system for Dark Heresy, where players get/request/are assigned their equipment, with achievement (rank) meaning commensurate awards.

- Only War has a logistics system, but I'm not sure how to adapt it for DH

- My current game is completely unbalanced because of equipment - player's are doing whatever they can for Thrones, I'm allowing improbable schemes, there's a huge disparity between player's equipment = combat effectiveness

#2 The Inquisition

The Inquisition

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

Well basically, whatever your acolytes want, someone (or somewhere) else has to have it.

So what I usually do is have 'micro encounters', where one of the party (or any number) goes to see whoever has the item, and roleplays up a request to get it.

Then they can basically develop contacts for certain things, who operate by various trades, barters, or purchases.

If it's a larger or rarer requisition, they might need to do some additional interaction to get it.

Remember, thrones are not all the acolytes have to offer in their service to the Holy Ordos. (Or to greedy merchant combines and their lasgun stockpiles.)

#3 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

I use Bradon, a grumpy Squat (Ok, they're all grumpy base value) and his crew that runs Munitorium D at the Tricorn where the players can request/borrow/buy  equipment.

http://dark-heresy.w...aces.com/Bradon

Basically, the players at first can only request items up to scarce availability. So forget about getting that carapace armour and that boltgun at Rank 1.  With this that means they don't need to loot everybody they see of raid every armoury they manage to cross.  Also, I get to control, via Bradon, what the acolytes have; sure they can request 100 frag grenades, but that doesn't mean they'll get it.  They'll get a few and that's it.

Then, to keep with the 'living world', they got to fill a form with a literacy test.  Like I said in another post, they can roll how much they want, it's not super critical, but they'll waste in-game time doing that, and time is generally of the essence.

This allowed them to save up their monthly pay to buy some fancy gear (good/best quality stuff or implants, top tier armour and weapons), giving them the idea that they are part of a large organization and also giving them a counter where they can buy their gear without having to run around in the Hive trying to find a store who got it.  Also, as they are in the Tricorn, they can walk around with melee/pistol weapons around, but basic or heavy weapons are frown upon;  This is the Imperium after all, no one walks around unarmed, but can't have some possible unstable person walking with a heavy bolter or flamer  around.

Also, The players have an apartment in the Tricorn, something basic at first (common room/kitchen, simple bathroom, 2 bedrooms with 2 beds each, basic rations) and as they get higher ranks, this also gets better (Added a TV, secured vox line to the outside, small workstation to mod their guns or to fiddle around with tech, prayer closet, better food and accommodations)

I also given them the chance to train during their down time, as not everyone was interested into the alternate ranks, and well, like it or not, they're part of the =I=, so only natural that their Inquisitor made sure he had qualified personnel at his disposal.  Of course they only started with the basic courses, the rest was available at later ranks.

http://dark-heresy.w...es.com/i-school

• Olifant likes this

#4 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

If the PCs are able to use improbable schemes to get gelt/items/gear/weapons, then adversaries should be able to do the same. I know this doesn't help you slow the train wreck you've already got in motion, but just think of the looks on your players' faces when they kick in the doors to a cult tricked out as good (or even better) than they are...

You don't need a house rule other than your own: No looting, no schemes. Agents of the Inquisition represent the Inquisition in all that they do. Scavenging and looting will not be tolerated. The Emperor protects, and the Inquisition provides...if the agents behave in a manner worthy of either consideration. The Inquisition provides a modest stipend, but in all honesty there should be little downtime for even a relaxed glass of wine. Rifling through the pockets of a fallen adversary for a few extra bullets to get you through the next hour is fine. Turning out his pockets for his gelt is criminal. It speaks of greed, and greed is self aggrandizing, and puts personal wealth and power before doing the great work of protecting Humanity...it puts the Acolyte above the Emperor.

Rein in your players. Talk with them. Springing a new house rule on them will just be seen as the thinly veiled hand slap that it is.

Edited by Alekzanter, 24 December 2013 - 02:55 PM.

• doomande and PencilBoy99 like this

#5 PencilBoy99

PencilBoy99

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

If the PCs are able to use improbable schemes to get gelt/items/gear/weapons, then adversaries should be able to do the same. I know this doesn't help you slow the train wreck you've already got in motion, but just think of the looks on your players' faces when they kick in the doors to a cult tricked out as good (or even better) than they are...

Best quote of the day highlighted in bold. However, every time I add cool gear for the enemy, they end up just looting it and selling it and somehow only 2 of the players become more effective.

You don't need a house rule other than your own: No looting, no schemes. Agents of the Inquisition represent the Inquisition in all that they do. Scavenging and looting will not be tolerated. The Emperor protects, and the Inquisition provides...if the agents behave in a manner worthy of either consideration. The Inquisition provides a modest stipend, but in all honesty there should be little downtime for even a relaxed glass of wine. Rifling through the pockets of a fallen adversary for a few extra bullets to get you through the next hour is fine. Turning out his pockets for his gelt is criminal. It speaks of greed, and greed is self aggrandizing, and puts personal wealth and power before doing the great work of protecting Humanity...it puts the Acolyte above the Emperor.

Regardless of the RAW, that's a perfect description of the game I would have liked to have run. 

#6 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:10 AM

@Braddoc: I don't want to piss on your parade, but the Squats were in-/officialy rubbed out when the 'nids eat their homeworlds.

I have been waiting for their Codex since 2nd Edition.

Everything that is of Common Availability on that planet is usually for sale at the proper locals.

Rarer things require Inquiriy Tests, shopping at the Grey and Black Markets and comes with it's own dangers.

If they put in a Requisition at their =I= contacts i will roll the dice if and when it is available (Following the rules in the CRB).

If some tools is deemed necessary when the Acolytes get their assigment it will be given to them by the =I=, to make sure that they can do their job. Bringing these tools back makes their contacts happy and gets them bonuses for their requisitions.

Stuff that is deemed inappropriate or too dangerous is simply not given to them. Use your own money and contacts.

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#7 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Well, isn't that the joy of begin in the Inquisition?  Having to get all those shiny toys that no one else get to play with?  Same goes for races.

#8 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

You don't need a house rule other than your own: No looting, no schemes. Agents of the Inquisition represent the Inquisition in all that they do. Scavenging and looting will not be tolerated. The Emperor protects, and the Inquisition provides...if the agents behave in a manner worthy of either consideration. 

This just doesn't hold up in in-game enforceability, especially when the players are working remotely from their Inquisitor's actual power base (which is typical).

The especially heinous issue arises when PCs logically would come from one of the many Imperial organizations that has a strong supply chain to get its members gear, and then winds up in the Secret Police who don't bother to support even their better field agents in any competent manner. 

I don't necessarily mind how BoM Sororitas handled the issue, it just should have been a consideration for virtually all other Careers except for Assassins and Scum. Writing looting in as an explicit money system for Scum was one of the worst ideas I've ever seen.

#9 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

Has anyone here looked at the Beta system for requisition? It could use some work (especially in the manner of how hard it is to get ammunition or simple cheap items compared to just thrones), but it could work well if combined a bit with the other systems for acquiring items in 40k.

#10 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Perhaps they should go about it like rogue Trader; you got a gun via profit factor, you also get the (standard) ammo.

you want some specialized ammo, roll for it; you got it, you got enough to last until the Emperor comes back

#11 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:36 AM

I just don't feel that would fit the lower powered setting of DH and it removes some of the impact that bolt weapons have. Most careers never got to handle one, they are the weapon of high officers, the rich, the elite, you have "made it" when you have a bolt pistol to most acolytes. On the other hand, bullets are cheap as hell and laspacks while costing more upfront, don't cost anything afterwards. I like the idea of requisitioning boxes of ammo. Acolytes don't have massive dynasties or rely on the Adeptus Munitorum's monolithic supply chain, they would have to pick out what they need. Maybe out of a stipend their Inquisitor provides, maybe just the ammo caliber they want directly.

One thing about the DH 2e system is it doesn't get that THIS is how ammo comes, not some abstracted "clips" system.

WP_000599.jpg

P1010009.jpg

#12 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

Out of curiosity (and since it's not legally possible to buy them in my country) how many bullets are in one such box? And why a whole pallet? Are you preparing for something?

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#13 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

In DH1, I used Inquiry tests to represent finding a store/merchant offering the item you need. Once you found that store, you could immediately buy any other supplies of lesser rarity that would realistically be sold in the same store. For example, if you successfully Inquired about a boltgun, you'd be able to buy that boltgun plus as many other guns, ammo or gun mods (of lesser rarity) as you could afford. If you found a photovisor, the store would probably also sell respirators, sleeping bags, smoke grenades, ration packs, etc (kinda like an outdoor store/army surplus store). This worked quite well for our group.
  • Alekzanter, Tenebrae and Cymbel like this

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#14 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

Yeah Weasels, several GMs of mine have done the same, it simplifies matters and still makes Inquiry important, a bad roll means it takes you a while to find a store, which may be over priced, out of some of what you want, etc.

Out of curiosity (and since it's not legally possible to buy them in my country) how many bullets are in one such box? And why a whole pallet? Are you preparing for something?

As for the bullets, I don't own a gun or anything, just have some friends who do and brought some realism into the 40k games they are in (which adds a lot for little work). Boxes vary by caliber and size and for both pics I just grabbed them off google images quickly. Those big tins can hold a LOT of rounds, but there are also a lot of surplus floating around in the US. I think most shooters would have trouble filling even one of those tins (especially because...they would rather go to the firing range).

Here is what a friend said when I bugged them

rifle rounds tend to come in boxes of 20, while FMJ pistol rounds tend to come in either 50 round boxes for rounds using a small primer, or 25 in those using a large primer, though thats just a fast and loose rule. Defensive ammo tends to come in boxes of 20 pistol rounds

As for the bigger "cans"

https://en.wikipedia.../Ammunition_box

And for how ammo should be handled for most guns

https://en.wikipedia...zine_(firearms)

So for why different ammo calibers come in different quantity boxes, you can see the differing sizes. For DH I tend to act like different damage types are different calibers. 1d10 is .22 lr, Autoguns have a caseless rifle round, Armageddons a bigger one and so on

Rifle_cartridge_comparison.jpg

and here is an old timey box of ammo

MODOAmmo.jpg

Edited by Cymbel, 13 January 2014 - 03:51 PM.

• Olifant likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS