Photo

When building decks, how do you know which cards to cut?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonlord

Dragonlord

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

I face this problem in nearly every deck I attempt to build: After setting aside all the cards I want in my deck, I realize I have to cut 10-20 cards from it. Not only is this really difficult for me as it's hard for me to discern which cards are least needed, but every time I  cut a card a little part of me dies. So how do you do it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Dunhere

Dunhere

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

Define what the deck is intended to do (how you plan to win) and prioritize the cards based on their importance to that goal.  Cut the ones that least perform that function.

• Hank McCoy likes this

#3 hocinedim

hocinedim

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

I understand that feeling all too well! What I do now is start by looking at which of the cards I have are the most conditional. Then I look at whether those conditions are guarantied to arise in most games, likely, or unlikely. So for example Surge is a pretty conditional card, it's only useful if you get a virus token on a virus. Always taking, not the best case scenario, but the most likely scenario (paraphrasing hollis), if I have 2 grimoires and lots of viruses in my deck then it's extremely likely, verging on guarantied that the condition for its use will occur in most games.

After doing this for all the cards, & cutting all the too conditional ones or too comboy ones, you start to look at effectiveness. Surge can win you a game, but if you're likely to be cycling through your viruses, it might not be that useful. So at this point you really need to make the hard choices. What is necessary for your machine to run, everything else is extra. Given that how do these extras fit within your main objective, do they compliment it or not, etc. I rambled a bit, I hope this helps. The point is though, that in my experience it never gets easier, and there will be games when you wish you had kept that card that you cut. But if you find that those games are marginal, then it probably was the right choice to cut it.

#4 bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

I am new to LCGs and this article helped me get how to build a deck, at least in theory. It is for another LCG so you have to interpret exactly what of the advice is sound for Netrunner yourself but the article talks about a lot of basic concepts that are valid regardless of game.

http://talesfromthec...t-construction/

Edit: Oh and if someone knows about any good bloggs about Netrunner please let me know.

Edited by bladerunner_35, 11 January 2014 - 01:25 AM.

it takes only a small amount of charitable reading to make the internet dramatically more palatable.

#5 CowboyHatValor

CowboyHatValor

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I'll second the 'define your goal' advice. One hole I frequently find myself falling through is spreading myself too thin, and I think taking a step back and deciding what a deck is focused on helps make cuts. Give a deck a goal, and it definitely helps. Tag? Kill? Tax the Corp? Tax the runner? Rush agendas? Break through? Destroy Ice? These are just a few examples, but once you choose a category, make yourself have an extremely good reason for including any card that deviates from the plan. Best of luck!

#6 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

I'll second the 'define your goal' advice. One hole I frequently find myself falling through is spreading myself too thin, and I think taking a step back and deciding what a deck is focused on helps make cuts. Give a deck a goal, and it definitely helps. Tag? Kill? Tax the Corp? Tax the runner? Rush agendas? Break through? Destroy Ice? These are just a few examples, but once you choose a category, make yourself have an extremely good reason for including any card that deviates from the plan. Best of luck!

Your strategy is your plan for winning the game.
However, the objective of the game is to win, not to successfully implement your strategy.

I played a game last night against a Jinteki deck whose objective was to build a server to run me through Whirlpool, Chum, and Cell Portal. He even had an Akitaro Watanabe in the remote. He got the server built, sure, but whenever I ran on it, he had too few credits and so he didn't rez any part of it. In the meantime I was hitting R&D, running through HQ's Tollbooth to Account Siphon, and I was up 6-0.

I built a runner deck that was pure Parasite recursion. Test Runs and Clone chips to pull them out of the Heap, Grimoire to get them started fast, even a copy of Forged Activation Orders to make sure I had a target.  It was great at pressuring centrals, I could eat my way into HQ and R&D fairly consistently.

What I couldn't do was really pressure remotes--the breakdown of server Ice was too slow to catch agendas being advanced while they were on the table. So my successful strategy still lost.

Make sure that you're not going to run out of steam because your strategy is too slow, has too many moving parts, or other drawbacks.  Good luck!

• CommissarFeesh likes this

#7 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

I'll second Grim there. I have a Reina Chessmaster deck which focused on making the best use of Caissas and rez-denial to give me free accesses all over the place, but it was only by adding Medium to the package that I started to see real success - you need a way to leverage your strategy into a win-condition (which for me is now R&D lock).

Never lose sight of your goal, and if the best play goes against your current strategy, then MAKE THAT PLAY. I lost a game with this same deck by NOT running a remote when I should have - game was match point, there was an advanced card in the remote, but I was afraid of a Junebug, so I went hunting inton R&D instead, confident that I'd pull the last AP I needed. I didn't. The remote held a Fetal AI.
  • Grimwalker likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS