Photo

Anybody want to work on some 3e stuff for Defenders of the Forest with me?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Anybody want to work on some 3e stuff for Defenders of the Forest with me?  I'd like to do some casual stuff over the winter:

• Careers (any not done already for 3e)
  • Talents and special actions
  • Party sheet/Nemesis sheet/Group sheet/Kithbands Sheet
  • Spells/Blessings
  • Bestiary
  • Equipment

Anyways, if interested in doing even a little bit, lets discuss it here.

Download for the Wood Elf supplement is here:  http://www.liberfana...lf_Project.html

[edit:  related:  Yepesnopes did up all the stuff for the High Elves already and can be found on his signature or at RPGEEK]

Edited by Emirikol, 21 December 2013 - 04:57 PM.

• socratim and Apollwn like this

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

First bit suggested:  Standard conversions

STANDARD 2E TO 3E CONVERSION CHART:

• Each %5 penalty 2E................= 1 black/white die  3E
  • Each 50 xp 2E........................= 1 xp 3E
  • Each Degrees of success 2E...= equivalent successes in 3E
  • Alterations in magical power (e.g. +1) = +1 white or black
  • Characteristic conversion:  Each 10% (round up at 5%) = 1 blue die. WS and BS convert to a bonus yellow for each 20% (round up each 15%).  Wounds are equivalent.  IP = corruption points 3e.    # Attacks, ST, TB, M, Mag, FP not used

EQUIVALENT OR NEW

• Careers will be equivalent or new
  • Spells will be equivalent or new
  • Talents will be equivalent, simple skill bonus/specialiation/training or new
  • Skills will be equivalent or training/specialization
  • 3e PC actions are new or equivalent (if somehow applicable)
  • Insanity points = corruption point equivalents
  • Mutations are equivalent or new
  • 3e Besitary Actions are equivalent or new (e.g. Dryad Beguile = 3e Beguile from the Creature Vault)

Some leeway will be used.  We won't be psycho about perfection.

DIFFICULTY EQUIVALENT
2E DIFFICULTY = 3E DIFFICULTY
Very easy (+30).. =  (No difficulty)
Easy (+20)..........= Easy (1d)
Routine (+10)......= Average (2d)
Average (-0-).......=  Average 2d)
Challenging (-10).= Hard (3)
Hard (-20)...........= Daunting (4d)
Very Hard (-30)...= Heroic (5d)

Edited by Emirikol, 21 December 2013 - 07:52 PM.

• Apollwn likes this

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

Defenders of the Forest (Wood Elf Project update to 3e)

Components need update:
Wood elf careers (random roll on rpggeek)
Wood elf optional basic skill: magic sight
New insanity:  ishas orphan p.7  (or gain 1 corruption)
Kindred careers and talents:  theme only
Honorific titles:  simple advancement equivalent (p12) and you gain the "title".
p16 New Talent: Bran-wa-shin - "may remove insanities equal in severity to the nubmer of successes"

LORES: p20+: needs equivalent blessings and a house rule for wood elf initiates

The Otherworld (p.27): needs equivalent rules

Wood Elf magic ([.29):  Needs house rule for wood elf apprentice wizards and equivalent rules here. 
SEASONAL effects on magic. 
LORES
SHadow walk
Shadow Dances of Loec:  COMPLETED, perhaps new material?
Talismanic Warpaint
Tatoos

(p37) Armoury and Equipment

Bladesinger (Wardancer advanced career)p41
Handmaiden/Steward (Basic):  EXISTS IN 3E except allow petty magic
Spellsinger (advanced)
Spellweaver (Advanced)
Treesinger (Advanced)
Wardancer (Advanced) = completed 3e
Warhawek Rider (Advanced)
Wildkin (Advanced)

Existing career notes: p45+
Note:  p45 (Apprentice wizard suggested rules): use the lore of isha

p.54 Navigationgcal sense:  Use existing suggestions for degrees of success = # of successes WFRP3

#4 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

Just downloaded Defenders of the Forest... man, who's idea was it to put black text in a dark grey box for the sidebars? I have to copy-paste to another program in order to read it.   *grumble*

Anyhow, not sure I'll actually have time to help (my days are pretty packed) but if I find time and come up with anything useful I'll post it here.

Edited by r_b_bergstrom, 24 December 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#5 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Unfortunately the sidebars are apparently much darker on Macs than PCs for some reason. We never managed to figure out exactly why that happens, so if anyone has suggestions please let us know.

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

From what I can see, it should be easy with the basic conversion.  I don't intend to have a large document.  Perhaps a few pages will do and then some specific career adaptations should do it.  I'm estimating to have this done probably in 30-45 days at the latest..but it depends on how much time I can set aside.

jh

#7 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:05 AM

I'm also a bit screwed for time at the moment, but put me down for proof reading.

#8 Terrorist Dwarf

Terrorist Dwarf

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

I've been working on intermediate and advanced Wood Elf careers for a returning player in the last week or so. If I have the time, I'll post the results.

#9 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

I've been working on intermediate and advanced Wood Elf careers for a returning player in the last week or so. If I have the time, I'll post the results.

That would be great!

jh

#10 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Unfortunately the sidebars are apparently much darker on Macs than PCs for some reason. We never managed to figure out exactly why that happens, so if anyone has suggestions please let us know.

I am indeed on a Mac. A google search for similar problems with other PDFs suggests it has something to do with the color profile of the machine it was created on.

Not sure what program you made the PDF in, but if it was adobe acrobat, one of the sites I just read says it can be fixed by:

• -Open in Acrobat
  • -Look for "Preflight" option
  • -Convert to sRGB.

For the end-user on a mac, there's something of a work-around:

• Open the PDF with Preview
  • From the ‘File’ menu, choose “Export”
  • Click on the “Quartz Filter” drop-down menu and choose “Lightness Increase”
  • Choose “Save”
  • When it's done saving, open the new file, and repeat the process.

This work-around increases the file size. It also wrecks the photos while it's improving the legibility of the text, so it's far from ideal.

#11 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Not sure what program you made the PDF in, but if it was adobe acrobat, one of the sites I just read says it can be fixed by:

• -Open in Acrobat
  • -Look for "Preflight" option
  • -Convert to sRGB.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try changing the colour palette when I get home this afternoon and see if it fixes the problem.

#12 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

Just to follow up, I checked the options under Advanced>>Preflight, and there's nothing obvious to change colours to sRGB. It's possible that this can be done through Export/Import Preflight profiles, but that's beyond my knowledge and paygrade.

I found the Mac support thread you were referencing, and apparently it's a bug in the i-Pad rendering engine that Apple should be fixing. So hopefully they will get it fixed so we don't have to find someone with the expertise to muck around with all the LF files and then re-upload them all.

#13 HopefulHammerer

HopefulHammerer

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

When the components are completed, where are they being made available?

#14 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

This project is currently on hold from my aspect, but if anyone else completes it they would upload on Liber Fanatica website and/or The Daily Empire.

#15 princeearwig

princeearwig

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:37 AM

I know you say its on hold from your end Emirikol but I thought I'd post this here anyway.

The equipment section might need some conversion as well.

I'm attempting this one myself for use in our game.

Saearath 

These double-bladed spear-staves have shafts sung from hickory and are often adorned with feathers, teeth or claws. At each end of the staff is a leaf-shaped blade, which skilled warriors can wield in arcs of deadly cutting edges. Anyone with Weapon Skill training can use this weapon. Saearaths are always of Superior Craftsmanship, and some are detachable which enables them to become two swords in the hands of a skilled wielder.

Saearath: Cost NA; Enc 4; Group Spear; DR:5 CR: 3; 
Qualities Fast, Two-Handed, Unreliable 2; Avail Exotic.
Special: A wielder can spend a manouevre to convert the Saearath into two single handed weapons.

When in two weapon form the Saearath becomes two Hand Weapons, each with the following stats

Saearath Blade: Cost NA; Enc 3; Group Hand Weapon; DR:5 CR: 3; 
Qualities Fast, Defensive; Avail Exotic
Special: A wielder can spend a manouevre to convert the Saearath Blades into a single Two handed weapon.

Edited by princeearwig, 15 February 2014 - 04:45 AM.

• Emirikol likes this

#16 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

I see the 3rd Orion book is out. Anybody read it yet?

#17 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

I have time if it is of interest.

#18 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

Saearath 

These double-bladed spear-staves have shafts sung from hickory and are often adorned with feathers, teeth or claws. At each end of the staff is a leaf-shaped blade, which skilled warriors can wield in arcs of deadly cutting edges. Anyone with Weapon Skill training can use this weapon. Saearaths are always of Superior Craftsmanship, and some are detachable which enables them to become two swords in the hands of a skilled wielder.

Saearath: Cost NA; Enc 4; Group Spear; DR:5 CR: 3; 
Qualities Fast, Two-Handed, Unreliable 2; Avail Exotic.
Special: A wielder can spend a manouevre to convert the Saearath into two single handed weapons.

When in two weapon form the Saearath becomes two Hand Weapons, each with the following stats

Saearath Blade: Cost NA; Enc 3; Group Hand Weapon; DR:5 CR: 3; 
Qualities Fast, Defensive; Avail Exotic
Special: A wielder can spend a manouevre to convert the Saearath Blades into a single Two handed weapon.

I haven't looked at the 2nd Ed original recently, but it strikes me as odd that the only advantage the two-handed version has is lower encumbrance.   The two-handed mode is strictly inferior unless you're really close to your carrying maximum.  I'd be strongly tempted to upgrade the to DR:6 in 2-hand mode, and reduce the single-hand versions to DR:4. Fast is a ridiculously good weapon ability, probably the best in the game, so I'm pretty sure even with those changes this would see play.

Tangential to that, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that Enc difference at all. Enc represents two things: mass, and inconvenience. Mass doesn't change, obviously, and I feel it's kinda dubious that 1 really big stick is actually less of a hassle than two sticks half it's length. Admittedly that's a pretty minor nitpick, and I could live with it if the rest of the stats between the two modes didn't already have me looking sideways at it.

#19 Nimsim

Nimsim

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

Just to follow up, I checked the options under Advanced>>Preflight, and there's nothing obvious to change colours to sRGB. It's possible that this can be done through Export/Import Preflight profiles, but that's beyond my knowledge and paygrade.

I found the Mac support thread you were referencing, and apparently it's a bug in the i-Pad rendering engine that Apple should be fixing. So hopefully they will get it fixed so we don't have to find someone with the expertise to muck around with all the LF files and then re-upload them all.

http://www.makeyourm...ed-on-iPad.html

Late reply to this, but see if this method will work.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS