"Darth Smeg" or Dark Heresy 2x

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PencilBoy99

PencilBoy99

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

My player's are mid-way through rank 4 and we're enjoying the game. I'd like to ensure that we can keep playing w/out any mechanical "bumps" as they ascend. Assuming that I don't want to use Dark Heresy Ascension, do people recommend using Darth Smeg's House Rules (a conversion to Only War) or the new (in process) DH 2x?

#2 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

If you are using DH rules, then switching over to OW and DH2 might just add more complications as the games, while quite similar, have different mechanics to them; shooting in DH is half action for one shot, or full for semi/full with +10/+20, while in OW, all shooting actisons are half actions, single shots grants you a +10, semi is +0, and full is -10 (because it seems real life somehow got some pull 38 000 years in the future.)  Skills and talents are also quite similar, but can bring a few major differences (scatter is no longer +1hit per 2 DoS at point blank, but a flat +10 to hit and +3 damage at point blank/short range)

I'd say stick with Ascension, but yet again I don't know your players and what they're like or what ascended path they'll choose.

My 40k Campaigns page

http://Dark-heresy.wikispaces.com

#3 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:24 AM

DH v2 is pretty much based on the Only War rules, but it is uncertain how long it will take before you see a release. A conversion of existing characters will also take a bit of work. 

My players did't want a conversion, and so various house rules it was.

As for Ascension, it just didn't click for us. The Psyker was already overpowered, and the Primaris career just made it worse. Our Assassin was laughing manically at the number of Dodges he would be able to do, and the tech-priest was upset that the advance scheme tried to force him into some sort of diplomat. The book tries to present a game of intrigue and politics, but all the rules still point all their bloated mechanisms towards combat. In the end, we just decided to not touch it :)

• Nameless2all, Green Knight and Tenebrae like this

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS