Talisman The Nether Realm Expansion

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

That seems to be an obvious and beautiful way to use Nether Realm cards without the alt. scenarios (If you play with the random hidden scenarios, you won't know if Pandora's Box is "the ending" until the first player reaches it)

which is desirable.  I would probably favor a different space, say The Cursed Glade, which while taking away the + 2 for enemies advantage, does have it's own limitations for players.

#42 metalzo

metalzo

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

My set just arrived and I'm really excited to add it to my game this weekend.  Jon, great job with the expansion.  I love how dangerous all of these cards are for endgame use!

Quick rule clarification re: Pandora's Box.  I'm assuming that on each of the character's turns on the crown of command, he can use the 6 cards, one at a time, against any character he chooses, and in any order.  So for instance, if there are 3 other players (A, B & C), he could use cards 1-6 all on Player A, or use card 1 on Player A, card 2 on Player B, card 3 on Player A, card 4 on Player C, etc. in any order.  This would allow strategic use of the cards (e.g., if Player A has one life, you might try to kill him first and then use any remaining cards on Player B & C).  Is this correct, or must the character on the CoC use all 6 against ONE character? 

#43 talismanisland

talismanisland

• Members
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

Yes. Six cards per turn, any character, any order. :)
Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#44 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:53 AM

That seems to be an obvious and beautiful way to use Nether Realm cards without the alt. scenarios (If you play with the random hidden scenarios, you won't know if Pandora's Box is "the ending" until the first player reaches it)

which is desirable.  I would probably favor a different space, say The Cursed Glade, which while taking away the + 2 for enemies advantage, does have it's own limitations for players.

I agree with the Cursed Glade. Only draw cards from the Nether Realm there!

#45 tarasis

tarasis

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

Would love to order The Nether Realm but $19 postage for a $15 expansion is a killer. Sadly its not on Amazon UK/DE, Leisure Games (UK) or Magierspiele (DE) so for now I have to do without :/

Hopefully it will either appear in those stores or I can get a friend to bring it over to a conference in 3 months and I can pick it up from them. This is the first expansion for 4E that I haven't been able to get yet.

#46 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hi Tarasis, hope you can find a way to get it.  I love the cards and alt endings!  We have played with two 'revealed' endings and though we couldn't complete the game (died before CoC and too far in the game to wish to restart with new character(s))

it was fun and very, very challenging.

Per my mention of pulling Nethers in the Cursed Glade, it does sound appropriate, as does the Runes spaces (portaling in from the Nether, yay!).

I've also thought of amending my idea for Day/Night expansion players.  "If it is day, you pull from the regular deck, if Night, then the Nether deck is pulled.

Going back to the Runes, something Jon said, but I've tweaked; If you land on a Runes space (or space with a Rune gate card?) by a die roll of ' 1 ', then you must pull from the Nether, otherwise, the regular deck.

• talismanisland likes this

#47 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

Daytime in the Cursed Glade = Adventure Card Draw; Night in the Cursed Glade = Nether Realm Draw

Superb Idea Oberon!

Ell.

#48 talismanisland

talismanisland

• Members
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

The only problem being that you cannot get the benefit of Objects and Spells to help against the cards drawn in the Cursed Glade, but if you fancy a real challenge then go for it! :)

#49 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

Thank you, Ell.

And I did think about the Runes+2 vs Glade-sans-magic-spells.   I leaned towards the Glade... because there is only 1 of those, as opposed to Runes spaces (I know, I also previously suggested Rune-gate cards too)

But the Nether Realm should not be overplayed - at least until players enter the Inner Region. Well at least today I feel that way.

#50 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Just ordered mine.  Looking forward to it.

I asked Leisure games in London if they were going to get some in but they didn't get back to me so I thought bugger it I'll order from states.

I'm looking forward to kickin that Titan Wraiths feeble butt.

#51 tarasis

tarasis

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Hey, you could have ordered two and I could have shared the postage costs :)

#52 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

Maybe the first card drawn after nightfall has to be from the Nether Realm?

• talismanisland and Mind Robber like this

#53 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Great idea Triple!

#54 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:07 AM

Hey, you could have ordered two and I could have shared the postage costs :)

Good idea

That could work for any other guys in UK.  You should put up a topic to get others on board

#55 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:09 AM

What are the standard rules for using the nether realm deck?

I had a look to see if they were in the support section but not there yet.

#56 yyami

yyami

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

Well, I stop along at Talisman Island every so often to see what Talisman news there is, I wasn't expecting this!

Ordered 2 copies. I've no idea why I would need two, but it helps split the postage... :rolleyes:

Weird logic I know :D

• talismanisland likes this

#57 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:04 AM

Had a great surprise this frosty Oxfordshire Sunday morning!  Opened my shed door to find a package from the states with my Nether Realm Expansion inside  :D Mr Postman must have left it there yesterday.

Anyhow I have had a good look and I think it's great.  Well done Mr New (and of course to all involved with it's development).

I love the way these cards add lots of interesting encounter elements beyond merely rolling to attack and adding str or craft. Makes encounters that bit more interesting.  Of particular note Is the horrifying "Nether Torment" and "Nether Blight".  Hands down these are the most dangerous cards in the entire game (discounting turning over the horrible black void on the CoC)

When I was first browsing the cards and read these I was like "ok, Nether Blight Str 6, thats not so bad and Oh Nether Torment Craft 5 just like a wraith really"  Then I reread them carefully and I was like "darn thats Attack Roll not attack score".

All the strength and craft in the world will account for nothing if you roll low on that dice and have no fate or reroll unluckily. Proper game over man.

The Pandoras box Alternate ending is my new personal favorite.  I really like the tactical choices you have when choosing which player to hit with a Nether realm card though I have a clarification question:

Q)  Can we look at the Nether Realm card before choosing a player to use it against or do we have to issue it blind and hope it's appropriately nasty?

Here's hoping we see it incorporated into Talisman digital too.

#58 talismanisland

talismanisland

• Members
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

I'm glad you like what you have seen so far! :)

Pandora's Box was meant to give tactical choices, so the card was left open so that (a) you get to see the 6 cards before you use them and (b) you can use the 6 cards in any order. 

I have heard from Carl at Nomad Games that they have added The Nether Realm to their list of expansions to add to the game.

#59 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Well done to Jon and Nomad for including the expansion!
  • GrimGuvna likes this

#60 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

thanks for the clarification Jon.

I take it that when you say "I'm glad you like what you have seen so far" that you have some other works in progress   ;)

By the way, that Goblin baby is an orrible lil bugger. :D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS