Kingsport question

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

For an easier game, you could also think about playing with some of the stronger investigators included in Kingsport. Namely, Daisy Walker, Lily Chen, Rex Murphy, and Wendy Adams.

I didn't like Wendy too much (though i have played with her only once, she's VERY good to walk on the board evading every monster on the street with her high speed stat, but she sucks when she NEEDS to fight a monster, her fight stat suck and her sanity and stamina are only four, she has only 8 points between them). Rex can NEVER be blessed from what i read on another topic here on this forum and starting the game already cursed looks terrible to me. And finally Daisy, i already read on other topic on this forum she just has focus 1 instead of 2.

These things i just said about Daisy and Rex are really right, there's an errata where it says Rex can never be blessed (he could take two blessings, one for nullify the curse and the second one to be blessed if he had 2 portal trophies to spend it, one for each blessing. Asssuming he spends 2 turns on the church). Is that also true there's an errata where Daisy should have focus 1 instead of 2? (another kingsport questionS ^^).

I don't know of any situation where Wendy NEEDS to fight a monster. Her sneak is good enough for you to sneak by almost any monster you come across (or at least not dread the attempt). The huge benefit from Wendy is that she starts with an Elder Sign. And while her sanity/stamina only adds up to 8, she is very balanced in that she has a ton of extra stat points and a very high focus. You should play her to avoid combat at all costs unless you get her some pretty nice weapons.

I'm not sure what you read or to what you are referring, but there's no errata that says Rex can never be blessed. He absolutely can be. It's just that it's a little harder for him to lose his curse. Also, keep in mind that even though Rex starts off with a curse, he also starts off with more starting items than any other investigator and his special ability is powerful. Once you get rid of that curse, you have yourself an all-star. There's also no errata for Daisy that says her focus is only 1. The only thing I can think of is that you were reading a post by somebody who thought Daisy was overpowered, so they house ruled that her focus should be only 1 - but, no; Daisy's focus is 2.

The balance of every investigator is pretty complex, but they're all very well balanced. What you could do to actually see the balance of every investigator is download the world's greatest fan-made tool, Strange Eons. It's a tool that allows you to create your own custom content for Arkham Horror, including investigators, but it also has the special abilities of all existing investigators already included as part of its programming. So you could simply recreate each investigator and see EXACTLY how each has been balanced, showing you what their real strengths (and weaknesses) are.

Edited by Musha Shukou, 21 December 2013 - 02:04 PM.

• Julia and ceridan13 like this

#22 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

If i draw a double gate mythos card, and there are 2 gates already opened (one for each depicted location). Two monster surges occur in the SAME mythos phase?

Edited by Nainphy, 23 December 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#23 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

Lol. Yes, that would mean 2 monster surges. It could get pretty hairy if that happened. I imagine the terror track would go up a couple times.

#24 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

Lol. Yes, that would mean 2 monster surges. It could get pretty hairy if that happened. I imagine the terror track would go up a couple times.

Is that true? 2 Monster surges? I though you ignore the lower portal icon on that card when the expansion for the upper portal icon is in play...

Dices, cubic messengers of fate.

#25 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

Is that true? 2 Monster surges? I though you ignore the lower portal icon on that card when the expansion for the upper portal icon is in play...

Miskatonic adds 2-gate Mythos cards, where the gates are shown one next to the other, not one on top and one below.

#26 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

That is true for the Mikatonic Horror Mythos cards, but the Lurker at the Threshold expansion includes 4 Mythos cards that open 2 gates on the Arkham board (but add no Doom Tokens). I'm not sure how you would handle surges after drawing one of those cards because it's never occured in my games yet. But I assume you resolve the top gate first and then resolve the lower gate.

#27 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

That is true for the Mikatonic Horror Mythos cards, but the Lurker at the Threshold expansion includes 4 Mythos cards that open 2 gates on the Arkham board (but add no Doom Tokens). I'm not sure how you would handle surges after drawing one of those cards because it's never occured in my games yet. But I assume you resolve the top gate first and then resolve the lower gate.

Yeah, correct, it's Lurker that has the proper 2-gate cards, not Miskatonic, which has the "gate on an expansion board" OR "gate on the main board" cards. For the Lurker cards, I resolve first the gate on the left then the gate on the right. There could be any number of combinations of gates opening, not opening due to ES and surges (0, 1, 2....).

#28 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

For the Lurker cards, I resolve first the gate on the left then the gate on the right.

Tox, did FFG format the card graphics differently in the non-English versions of Arkham? On my Mythos cards with multiple gates (Miskatonic & Lurker) they are stacked vertically one above the other.

#29 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Okay, i have checked it. There are 4 Mythos cards in LaTT wich opens two gates. Like: http://www.arkhamhor...ble_the_Trouble

Dices, cubic messengers of fate.

#30 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

For the Lurker cards, I resolve first the gate on the left then the gate on the right.

Tox, did FFG format the card graphics differently in the non-English versions of Arkham? On my Mythos cards with multiple gates (Miskatonic & Lurker) they are stacked vertically one above the other.

I guess they did the usual *CENSORHIP* on the italian version, but I hardly doubt it's due to FFG...

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#31 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:23 AM

Hmm, let me check my cards...

Miskatonic has the gates one on top of the other, touching each other (the icons are smallish).

Ok, my fault for remembering this wrong: Lurker has the gates on top of each other, but the icons are much bigger and the pictures do not "interfere" with one another (they barely touch).

My bad for the confusion :P I guess I was thinking about the "double doom" Mythos cards and somehow thought the same applied to the double gate cards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS