Kingsport question

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

The kingsport rulebook says there are no monster limit in kingsport. But let's suppose there's an investigator there and a flying creature swoops down on him. The investigator evades the creature and the monster stays on the kingsport's board. Then in the core map of arkham i draw more monsters and i reach the monster limit. When that flying monster in kingsport flies again. What will happen to him? He can't go back to the sky because there's a monster limit reach in core arkham. Does he go to the outskirt?

Edited by Nainphy, 19 December 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

When it enters Arkham, it's over the limit and so goes to the Outskirts.

#3 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

Yes. You're adding the monster back to the main board, but the main board is limited, so the monster goes to the Outskirts instead. Same thing would happen with any other expansion board too.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

You can check this FAQ entry for further reference (pag. 9, second column):

Q: If the number of monsters in Arkham is at the monster limit, and a monster that is on an expansion board moves to the Sky, what happens to that monster?
A: The monster is moved to the Outskirts. The Sky is considered part of Arkham, so a monster moving to the sky from an expansion board is moved to the Outskirts if its arrival exceedsf the monster limit.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Off to the Outskirts...and now you know.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#6 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

Another one: when i want to take a rift marker, i go to the place in kingsport with the picture on it. But can i draw a location card AND take the rift marker or i must choose? I take the rift marker OR draw a location card?

By the way, the variant of the epic battle cards are so hard. None survives 9 rounds to start drawing cards from the red deck. LOL

We here fought 2 times yesterday using the epic battle variant and we didn't last 4 rounds against the ancient ones (atlach-nacha and y'golonac).

Edited by Nainphy, 19 December 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:07 AM

Not so sure of what you mean with "take a rift marker", so, sorry if my answer is not well addressed. After resolving an encounter in a Kingsport location matching the location depicted on a progress marker on a rift track, you remove that progress marker from the rift track if the rift is inactive OR you turn that token facedown if the rift is active (and when all four progress marker are turned facedown, you close the rift and clear the track)

Hope this helps

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#8 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

Nainphy,

To underscore Julia's point...a random Rift Marker is added to the Rift Track when a Gate opens on any board.  Your Investigator's exploration of a location in Kingsport which matches a Rift Marker, allows you to remove it from the Rift Track.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#9 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

After resolving an encounter in a Kingsport location matching the location depicted on a progress marker on a rift track, you remove that progress marker from the rift track

You mean, after drawing a location card in a kingsport location depicted on a rift track you can also remove a rift marker from the rift track?

#10 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

...a random Rift Marker is added to the Rift Track when a Gate opens on any board. 

Is this some sort of personal variant or a complete reinterpretation of the rules? As far as I understand it random Rift Marker's are added to the Rift Track whenever the monster movement pattern on a Mythos Card matches the pattern on the Rift Track. This occurs irrespective of whether a gate opens or not.  

#11 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I need to spend ALL the arkham encounter phase to remove a rift marker or can i draw a location card (assuming i'm in the same location depicted on the rift marker) AND remove the the rift marker in the SAME arkham encounter phase?

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

After resolving an encounter in a Kingsport location matching the location depicted on a progress marker on a rift track, you remove that progress marker from the rift track

You mean, after drawing a location card in a kingsport location depicted on a rift track you can also remove a rift marker from the rift track?

Rules say "if an investigator has an encounter at the depicted location" (pag. 10), so yes, you have an encounter, you remove / turn facedown the progress marker, according to the rift being non active or active (and both are done in the same turn; just to make this clear: Wilson goes to the Congregational Hospital, resolves the encounter and if there is a rift progress marker depicting the Congregational Hospital, he removes it from the track / turns the token facedown)

Hope this clarifies your doubts

#13 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

...a random Rift Marker is added to the Rift Track when a Gate opens on any board. 

Is this some sort of personal variant or a complete reinterpretation of the rules? As far as I understand it random Rift Marker's are added to the Rift Track whenever the monster movement pattern on a Mythos Card matches the pattern on the Rift Track. This occurs irrespective of whether a gate opens or not.  

And this is the way it has to be played. Rift progress is never triggered by gates opening, it's only triggered by the monster movement pattern.

#14 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

I should have opened this topic as Kingsport questionS. Ok, here we go again. I mixed all things i have: core, kingsport and lurker at the threshold expansions (mixed everything = relationship cards from lurker, mythos cards, common items, unique items, spells, all arkham location cards, all other world location cards and the new gate markers deck from lurker at the threshold. We are NOT using guardians nor heralds), but we are using the epic battle variant cards. We have played 6 matches here (between 2-3 players) since kingsport expansion arrived and we only won one of the 6. We are barely sealing 4 portals. Most of the time we draw SOME portal burst cards which destroy everything we had done. The clue tokens are not being enough. I was used to win 70% of the time when i used only the core arkham horror. Now we are winning less than 20% of the time we play. Is that difficult correct or putting a guardian and a herald (to balance things) will change these odds for the good side? Besides that, any other useful hint?

By the way, the only one match we won was against Yig (random ancient one selection). All characters were devoured except the last investigator. It was his last attack and he (Joe Diamond) had no more clue tokens, only one of stamina and only one of sanity. He still needed 5 successes in his last attack rolling 7 dice, and he had the 5 successes. He was cursed (start of battle), then he rolled an one and removed, using the epic variant battle, we draw a "sinister plot" card from the green epic deck. After drawing Yig's sinister plot card, he AGAIN cursed everyone with his start of battle ability (all we died because of that, except Joe Diamond who was cursed again). After two rounds SOLOING Yig, he rolled 1 AGAIN in his FIRST try (second round after he had earned the curse) to remove the curse and removed his SECOND curse. After that, it was his last attack because the speed check was -6 due all the rounds of the fight and he had the 5 successes he needed to take the last 2 doom tokens of Yig (3 player game, 1 doom token = 3 successes and the 2nd doom token he already had scored one success in the last round). This was really EPIC! Needing 5 successes rolling 7 dice was marvelous, the other devoured investigator and i didn't believe what we were seeing. OUTSTANDING roll!!!

As you can see, we are having a lot of trouble to seal all 6 portals at once. The only match we won, we won because we fought an ancient one (not for sealing all 6 portals) and won in an EPIC battle.

Bonus:  "When Joe Diamond (a player) looked around barely conscious (stamina = 1) and barely with his own mind (sanity = 1) after banishing Yig from this world for good, he saw Jenny (me) and Darrel (another player) dead, poisoned by the father of the serpents. With this vision printed on his mind, he lost his last bit of sanity and shot himself.

In the next day people didn't know what had happened to them. One had been shot and two others were poisoned, lying near each other. After careful thought, the coroner concluded Jenny was Joe's girlfriend and when Joe discovered Jenny was cheating him, he poisoned Darrel and his own girlfriend, becoming insane in the process and killing himself with his trusted .45 pistol." - Lovecraft typical ending (i love to roleplay, even being a board game, lol). ^^

Curiosity: first time i won a core arkham horror game fighting an ancient one (and not by sealing 6 portals at once) , this ancient one was Yig. With the epic variant battle cards, he became POWERFUL. But even with those cards, the first time i win using new content (kingsport/lurker expansions) was against him again. Yig and  Ithaqua are by far the easiest AOs to battle (i think Ithaqua is even easier than Yig, but we didn't draw him yet, we draw randomly here when we start a new match). This time we (better saying, the player playing with Joe Diamond) had an OUTSTANDING luck as i've never seen before.

Another question: i was using the kerosene (you need 1 dollar to refresh it every round) against Yig while i was alive in the combat. In the start of the combat, i had 16 dollars. The core rulebook doesn't say i can't spend money to refresh itens in any moment. It only says i don't roll anymore for retainers and for bank loans. So i could have used the kerosene EVERY round because i could pay 1 dollar to refresh it for the five or 6 rounds i was alive in the final battle, right? (by the way i was Jenny, she earns 1 dollar in each upkeep). But even if i couldn't use her ability, i had 16 dollars in the beginning of battle to pay the refresh of the kerosene for the entire combat.

Edited by Nainphy, 20 December 2013 - 11:52 PM.

• Tox likes this

#15 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:36 AM

Well... welcome to the more difficult side of Arkham Horror :) Core game is pretty easy to beat, and expansions make the game much more interesting.

Considering the combo of expansion you're playing, there are two major issues to focus your attention on: frequency of gate openings and rifts. The first issue will cause your game to slow down horribly, the second one will butcher you with doomers added if you don't pay attention to the Kingsport situation. Main problem with Kingsport is that, not having Kingsport unstable location, the Mythos deck focuses on Arkham board; hence you have a lot of activity there, and, of course, several gate bursts could occur. Lurker does the same, so that you have to proceed carefully trying a better strategy. When playing with the core game only, the sooner you seal the 4 high freq locations (Independence Square, Unvisited Island, Woods & WItch House), the easier the game to win. If we look at the Mythos deck composition, we see that gates in the 4 low freq locations (SIlver Twilight Lodge, Science Building, Historical Society and Hibb's) never burst, so that in case you're given a chance, sealing these locations before the high freq is certainly a good way to work. If none of these is available, go for medium freq location first: accept a couple of monster surges more, maybe, but work on seals that could stay longer on the board. And try to focus on teamwork: if possible, try to put the last two, or the last three seals on the board at the same time, so that there are no Mythos to be drawn that could possibly result in a seal bursting away.

Do not lose too much time in Kingsport: many believe that you need to constantly work on the rift tracks. It's not a good strategy: you can allow one row / rift to fill up (further tokens there won't be added after the second one is placed) and then simply control the second row linked to that rift.

Add one investigator more: a good rule for a fairly balanced game (even though some prefer more challenging tasks; IIRC, Avi plays 3 investigators with everything in and still wins consistently) is the "rule of the thirds": main board counts as 3/3, each expansion board as 1/3, and you sum the thirds up to have the number of investigators in play: 3/3+1/3 = 4/3, hence 4 investigators with your exp combo in play

Hope this helps!

#16 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:38 AM

Kerosene: the card instructs you to spend 1 dollar during the Upkeep to refresh the item if exhausted. During FB, at the beginning of each combat round you have a full Upkeep, so that you can spend money to refresh items, no probs with that

#17 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:39 AM

If you are finding clue tokens to be too few, and are struggling to win a game, then I highly recommend adding a guardian to your game. Specifically, I recommend Hypnos, who adds a clue token to the board every upkeep. This will definitely aid you in your quest for victory against the mythos. Additionally, you could consider adding the Lurker at the Threshold herald. If I play with a guardian, I always balance it out with a herald. However, the LatT herald provided the investigators with quite a few benefits. Adding the LatT herald to your game could assist you, but it could also throw some challenges your way, making for an interesting game full of surprises.

For an easier game, you could also think about playing with some of the stronger investigators included in Kingsport. Namely, Daisy Walker, Lily Chen, Rex Murphy, and Wendy Adams.

That sounds like an absolutely incredible game. Congratulations on that win! That is, indeed, epic. I can almost hear your group cheering and giving each other celebratory high-fives.

The FAQ has clarified that you can not earn money during the Final Battle, so Jenny's special ability becomes nullified, but it doesn't say you cannot spend money. Refreshing the kerosene every upkeep by paying the $1 is acceptable, and even encouraged! Use every tool at your disposal to show that alien god who's boss!

#18 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:40 AM

Finally, yes, Epic Battle Cards are good to give some dignity to some core game AOs that were really to easy to stomp over in final battle. Yig was a lot better, even if I stil prefer the "new edition" that was released last year for Arkham Nights

#19 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

For an easier game, you could also think about playing with some of the stronger investigators included in Kingsport. Namely, Daisy Walker, Lily Chen, Rex Murphy, and Wendy Adams.

We believe Lily Chen is cursed here where we play. We tried to play with her twice, in the first game with her on the board, we were fighting against Yog-sothoth and she had an encounter location card which stated she should go to Lost in time and space, thus... she was devoured. Yesterday i was playing with her (before this epic match i just posted in my last post) and a portal with the devour icon (lurker at the threshold portal markers) opened where i was, thus.... she was devoured. LOL. I think it's her destiny to be devoured.

I didn't like Wendy too much (though i have played with her only once, she's VERY good to walk on the board evading every monster on the street with her high speed stat, but she sucks when she NEEDS to fight a monster, her fight stat suck and her sanity and stamina are only four, she has only 8 points between them). Rex can NEVER be blessed from what i read on another topic here on this forum and starting the game already cursed looks terrible to me. And finally Daisy, i already read on other topic on this forum she just has focus 1 instead of 2.

These things i just said about Daisy and Rex are really right? Is there an errata where it says Rex can never be blessed (he could take two blessings, one for nullify the curse and the second one to be blessed if he had 2 portal trophies to spend it, one for each blessing. Asssuming he spends 2 turns on the church)? Is that also true there's an errata where Daisy should have focus 1 instead of 2? (another kingsport questionS ^^).

P.S.: House rule here. We can choose our investigators (we don't draw randomly) BEFORE drawing a random ancient one. You never know what you'll fight. This make things more interesting. ;)

Edited by Nainphy, 22 December 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#20 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

Julia/Lee418,

Thank you for the clarification...I've been playing so long with my variant, that I gave an inaccurate answer.  For my variant,

"Each time a Mythos card is resolved (defined as actually opening a gate and the "monster movement pattern" has an opening on the Rift Track), add a Rift Marker to the Rift Track.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS