Mono Spirit (solo) Caldara Deck

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

I haven’t written up a play test report in a while and I thought I might do a new one with Tracker’s recursion deck.  I expect I’m going to make a few tactical mistakes as this deck isn’t like anything I’ve played before, but hopefully I’ll get some pointers and others can learn from my mistakes.  This is the deck in the first post of this thread without Tracker’s adjustments made in later posts.  I’ve played through Passage through Mirkwood twice, winning both easily and so wanted a quest with a little more of a challenge.  Journey down the Anduin it is.

Opening hand:  A Test of Will, Ethir Swordsman, White Tower Watchman, Arwen, Emery, Elrond’s Council.

Quest 1A:  Reveal a card: Hill Troll!  (About the only time you want to see that.)

Opening Draw:  Fortune or Fate.  During my previous two games I did not draw this card, but won anyway largely due to the shear questing power of the deck.  Play Arwen (2).  Discard three cards from my hand to put Emery into play (Northern Tracker, Imladris Stargazer, Pelargir Shipwright).

Turn 1:

Quest with Eowyn, Arwen & Caldera.  Play Elrond’s Council (Threat to 19).  Reveal banks of the Anduin.  Questing 9 versus 2 threat is 7 progress on the quest.  Travel to the Banks of the Anduin and leave the Troll in the staging area.

Refresh everyone and raise the threat to 20.

Turn 2:

Resources: Eowyn (1), Glory (2), Calera (1) Draw Hidden Cache.

Quest with Eowyn, Arwen & Caldrea (8).  Reveal Wolf Rider surging into Dol Guldur Orcs (4).  Two damage to Caldera.  8 Will vs. 4 threat puts banks of the Anduin back on top of the Encounter deck and places 1 progress on 1A (8).

Now… play Hidden Cache for 1 resource, Caldera (0), and draw Imladris Stargazer.  Discard Caldera and put Northern Tracker and Pelargir Shipwright into play.

Engage Dul Guldur Orcs and Wolf Rider.  Defend Orcs with Emery (No Shadow NS), no net damage.  Defend Rider with Shipwright (NS) for 1 net damage.  Glory attacks and destroys Orcs.  Tracker attacks and destroys Wolf Rider.

Refresh everyone and raise threat to 21.

Turn 3:

Resources: Eowyn (2), Glory (3) draw Light of Valinor.  (Here I decide that I don’t need Glory’s questing right now and so decide to play FoF towards the end of turn in case I need to play A Test of Will.)

Quest with Arwen & Eowyn (6), reveal The Necromancer’s Reach.  Note, unless I say otherwise Arwen’s +1 defense will go to Emery.  I decide to take the damage.  5 progress on the quest.  Leave the Troll and play FoF to bring back Caldera.

Refresh everyone and raise Threat to 22.

Turn 4:

Resources:  Eowyn (1), Glory (1), Caldera (1).  Draw Dwarven Tomb.

Play Light of Valinor on Glory.  Glory (0), Play Dwarven Tomb to fetch FoF.  Caldera (0).

Quest with Arwen & Glory (5), reveal Massing at Night “surging” into Eastern Crows surging into Driven by Shadow.  Net threat 4 vs 5 equals 1 net progress.

Engage Eastern Crows & defend with Emery, NS and no damage.  Destroy Crows and shuffle it back into the deck.

Refresh everyone and raise Threat to 23.

Turn 5:
Resources: Eowyn (2), Glory (1), Caldera (1).  Draw Hasty Stroke.  Play Imladris Stargazer.  Glory (0), Caldera (0).

Quest with Arwen & Glory (5) Reveal Necromancer’s Pass (3) for net 1 progress.  I don’t travel here as I don’t want to discard two cards at random.  (Possible talking point.)

Exhaust Imladris Stargazer and place Elfhelm, White Tower Watchman, Fortune or Fate, Ethir Swordsman, and Arwen back on the top of the deck in that order.

Refresh everyone and raise Threat to 24.

Turn 6:

Resources:  Eowyn (3), Glory (1), Caldera (1). Draw Elfhelm.  Play Ethir Swordsman.  Eowyn (2), Glory (1)

Quest with Eowyn (discarding Elfhelm), Glory, Arwen and Northern Tracker placing 1 progress on Necromancer’s Pass.  Reveal (not so) Evil Storm.  Put 8 more progress on 1B.

I plan on engaging the troll next turn.

Exhaust Imladris Stargazer and place Ethir Swordsman on top of the deck.

Refresh everyone and raise threat to 25.

Turn 7:

Resources:  Eowyn(3), Glory (2), Caldera (1) draw Swordsman.

Quest with Eowyn (discarding Swordsman), Tracker (putting another progress on Reach and removing it), Arwen, and Glory for 11.  Reveal Dul Guldur Orcs for net threat of 3.  Two damage to Caldera.  (There is so much progress on the quest now it’s immaterial.)

Engage DGO and Hill Troll.

Defend Hill Troll with Emery.  Shadow is Pursued by Shadow.  Arwen back to my hand (removing her damage), but her effect persists and Emery defends with 3 and has two hit points.  Emery passes away and my threat increases by 1 to 24.  Defend DGO with Caldera (NS) and no further damage.  Discard Caldera (losing her resource) putting Elfhelm and Emery back into play.  Play Fortune or Fate and bring Caldera back.

Glory kills the DGO and the rest of the team gang up on the troll with an attack for 6 and 3 net damage.

Exhaust Stargazer and place Damrod on the top of the deck.  (FoF is second.)

Refresh everyone and raise threat to 26.

Turn 8:

Resources:  Eowyn(1), Glory (1), Caldera (1) draw Damrod.  Play Arwen.  E(1)G(0)C(0).

Quest with Eowyn discarding Damrod and Arwen for 7.  Reveal Eastern Crows surging into Chieftan Ufthak (net 3).  Engage Crows.

Defend Troll with Emery (NS).  Discard Emery and Raise threat by 1.  Defend Crows with Shipwright (NS).

Glory, Caldera, N. Tracker, Elfhelm & Swordsman attack for 9 dispatching the Troll.  Move to Quest card 2B.

Exhaust Stargazer and put FoF on top.  (And second too.)

Refresh everyone and raise threat to 28.

Turn 9:

Resources: Eowyn (2), Glory(1), Caldera(1)  draw Fortune or Fate and play nothing.

Quest with Eowyn, Arwen, Glory & Shipwright (12).  Reveal Enchanted Stream and The Brown lands (9).  Three progress on the quest.  Travel to TBL and discard it.

Defend Eastern Crows with Caldera (shadow = +1AT) no net damage.  Destroy Crows and shuffle it back into the deck.

Exhaust Stargazer and place Northern Tracker on top of the deck.  (This should be sweet.)

Refresh everyone and raise threat to 30.

Turn 10:

Resources: Eowyn (3), Glory (2), Caldera (2).

Quest with Eowyn discarding Northern Tracker. Arwen (Shipwright +1DF), Glory (10). Reveal Eastern Crows surging into Gladden Fields and Pursued by Shadow.  Cancel with A Test of Will (Caldera).  Net progress 4.  Travel to Enchanted Stream.  Engage Cheiftan Uftak and Crows comes along for the ride.

Defend Eastern Crows with Caldera (NS) and no net damage.  Defend CU with Shipwright.  Shadow removes 1 progress from the quest. (6).  Shipwright dies.  Discard Caldera.  Return Northern Tacker and Damrod.

Attack Ufthak with Glory, two Trackers, Elfhelm and Damrod. Bye bye Ufthak.  Attack Crows with Swordsman and shuffle back.  Return Caldera with FoF.

Exhaust Stargazer and place FoF on top.

Refresh everyone and raise threat to 31.

Turn 11:

Resources:  Eowyn(1), Glory(1), Caldera (1)  No card draw to Enchanted Stream.

Quest with Eowyn, Arwen (Caldera), two Trackers (2 progress on Gladden Fields) and Glory (11).  Reveal Wargs and Gladden Fields.  (It’s a big field.)  8 threat for 3 progress.  Discard Enchanted Stream and place 1 on the quest (7).  Travel to Gladden Fields (the new one).

Defend Wargs with Caldera.  Shadow is Despair and is cancelled with Hasty Stroke for no damage.  Caldera (0).  Destroy Wargs.

Exhaust Stargazer and place A Test of Will on Top.

Refresh everyone and raise threat to 33.

Turn 12:

Resources:  Eowyn(2), Glory (2), Caldera (1).  Draw a Test of Will.

Quest with Eowyn, Glory, two Tackers (removing GF from the staging area) and Arwen (Caldera) for 11.  Reveal Misty Mountain Goblins and Marsh Adder (5).  Net three progress on the quest (10) and remove the second Gladden Fields.  Engage both Goblins and Adder.  Defend Adder with Caldera (shadow +1 AT) for 2 damage and threat to 32.  Discard Caldera and return Shipwright and Emery.  Defend Goblins with Emery (NS), no damage.  Remove 1 progress from the quest (9).

Attack Adder with Glory, Elfhelm, Damrod and Swordsman.  Remove Adder from the game.

Exhaust Stargazer and place Fortune or Fate on top.

Refresh everyone and raise threat to 34.

Turn 13:

Resources: Eowyn(3), Glory (3).  Draw FoF.  Play FoF returning Caldera

Quest with Eowyn, Glory, Arwen (Caldera), Shipwright (12).  Reveal Eastern Crows surging into Eastern Crows surging into Evil Storm and Despair.  10 Progress for 19 total on the Quest card.  Move to 3B.  Reveal Eastern Crows surging into Necromancer’s Pass and banks of the Anduin.  Travel to Necromancer’s Pass discarding my hand.

Engage all three Crows.  Defend Misty Mountain Goblin with Caldera (NS) no damage.  Defend Crow 1 with Swordsman (NS) no damage.  Defend Crow 2 with Emery (NS) no damage.  Defend Crow 3 with Elfhem (NS) no damage.  Destroy Crow 1 and 2 with the two Northern Trackers.  Destroy Goblins with Glory and Damrod.

Exhaust Stargazer to place Northern Tracker on top.

Raise threat to 35 and refresh everyone.

Turn 14:

Resources:  Eowyn (2), Glory(1), Caldera(1).  Draw and play Northrn Tracker.

Quest with Eowyn, Arwen (Calera) and three Northern Trackers (removing Banks from the staging area and back to the top of the deck).  Necromancer’s Pass is discarded.

Defend Crows with Caldera (NS) and destroy Crows.

Game Over.

Thoughts.  I didn’t get the Zigil Miner resource engine going and so I felt like I had to creep along.  Also, and maybe I just need more experience, but I felt like I needed a little bit of card draw.  I understand why Tracker doesn’t have any though.  It’s a bit slow to get the engine of this deck rolling and it always feels like it might sputter.  Would appreciate any comments on my play as it IS a very different play style.

"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#22 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for giving it a try. Looks like you played it pretty well. It's unfortunate you did not get Zigil into play, since then you would really see the deck work much better. Either way it's still takes a bit of time to set up, before the ball gets rolling. Still Looks like you were able to use Caldara's power 4 times and bringing her back successfully. With Zigil you probably could have done it a few more times. You were still able to handle the troll, uftak, warg, and the adder, so you got most of the tough enemies in the deck.

This Caldara deck is not a fast deck, you can expect most games to last over ten rounds. This is really hilighted during Anduin, because you have to build up sufficient attack power before taking out the Troll, meanwhile you have a mountain of progress on the first stage.

One thing I try to do is bring Caldara back with FoF before the round ends to get her resource starting next round. If you had Zigil in play that would have been easier.

This deck had gotten some wins on some really tough quests. Most recently I was able to win The Battle of Laketown. During that quest I realized I needed more card draw with Ancient Mathom, and the scenario provided an abundance of locations. I needed to get test of will's and hasty strokes into hand, only getting on card per round was to slow. I also included a will of the west in case i cycled through all copes of FoF, tombs, and map. This was included for this scenario specifically because of the when revealed that makes you discard cards from you deck equal to the damage on Laketown. Losing 20 cards like that is tough.

So overall, i'mreally happy with this type of deck, and since it is a new style of play That the Developers are strengthening, I think it is only going to get better.

Also, one thing about your Anduin report, during stage 2 you were engaging 2 enemies at a time like in round 10 you optionally engaged Uftak, and crows came too. The quest cards says not to make engagement checks, but you may still optionally engage 1 enemy. I always assumed that in this case I could optionally engage Uftak, but the crows do not make an engagement check, so they just hang out in the staging area even if my threat is higher then their engagement cost. So, enemies will start to build up in staging area when you get to round 3. Have I been playing that wrong for the past few years?

I'd enjoy hearing how this deck type of deck is working for you in the future.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#23 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

No, oops. I usually don't make that mistake. I think that trying to record everything and still play the deck distracted me. Wouldn't have changed anything in the end though.

I did have to discard Cadara a couple times when I didn't have the resources ready to pull her right back. Those were tactical decisions, but I stand by them.

Thanks for the archetype. I would not have bothered to try it. In practice it plays a lot like an Elrond/Vilya deck to me except that there are many more high powered elves to grab. If Spirit gets a few more unique allies in the next expansion it will help out the deck a lot. Also, Vilya can grab Gandalf which is a plus and it's not as expensive to run once you have an Unexpected Courage on Elrond.

Thanks again.

#24 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

Well I've tried this deck a few times, and must say that it does indeed alter your play style. I like it.

I also have to say that  I've found it can stand on it's own fine in many quests without Caldara's ability.

There where a couple of times when I just used her ability because I could. No need at all.

It's a really fun deck, and when all the parts are up and running it's great.

This means the need of F&F. This is the only trouble I've had at times; not getting F&F anytime soon in a game.

So I've thought of adding Ancient Mathrom, as location exploring is easy with this deck, getting me faster to F&F.

That sometimes did the job alright, so that's some advice to people who want to try this deck.

"Not all those who wander are lost"

#25 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

I've stopped playing the deck, but I agree that Ancient Mathom is needed. And as for why the deck is powerful without Caldara using her ability all the time, I just put that down to Spirit's power level.

#26 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Noccus, happy to hear you had fun with. It is fun to play type of deck that really changes up some strategy.

The Ancient Mathom, should probably be included for the card draw, and in a few games I replaced the Hidden Cache with it, since once Zigil/stargazer is set up the extra resources from the cache are really not needed. I liked the cache in the deck for the effect of pulling off the trick of using it, but getting a few more cards in hand probably out weighs the few resources. Maybe 2 Mathom and a 1 cache will do.

Thanks for the feedback.

#27 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

This Caldara deck is doing well on the NM scenarios, It now has victories on PTM, JatA, THfG, and CAtC.

CatC NM was pretty cool. In many way's it is still similar to the normal mode, still need to quest lightly on stage 1, and if you do not put progress on the quest it gets 1 progress anyway. I managed to last 5 rounds before the 4 trolls entered the staging area. My threat was low enough so I was still able to bring one troll down at a time, and was able to have just enough damage to take each one out. I probably did the Caladra disappear reappear trick six times this scenario, and i had to have all three N. trackers, Elfhelm, Damrod, Glorfindel, and others to take down each troll, as well as enough questing power to keep the remaining trolls in the staging area. After all the trolls and minor trolls were cleared out. Rob and Bob and another non-unique troll hit the staging area, and my small army of spirit allies and heroes finished him off next round.

Pretty cool quest, probably got lucky on my first play through, still a long quest 12 rounds to complete, I think it's an improvement over normal mode. And Cadara gets another tough quest under her belt.

Unfortunately, NM AJtR will probably be hopeless for this deck. Not sure it is even worth trying.

Edited by Tracker1, 10 January 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#28 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

What cards would you swap out for 1 core set.  Or does that ruin the deck?

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#29 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

You would be missing 7 cards for the deck.

1 Northern Tracker
1 Test of Will
1 Hasty Stroke
2 Dwarven Tomb
2 Fortune of Fate

The first 3 cards can be replaced with an ally of your choice. Riddlemarks Finest is pretty good.

However, Dwarven Tomb and FoF are really tough to replace. You could probably get away without the 2 Tombs, but FoF is the foundation of getting Caldara working, and if there is only one in the deck it might never surface.

The best thing you could do is add 3 Ancient Mathom for more card draw, and hope you get FoF with it.

#30 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

I have only one core set, and the deck I crafted used 3 ancient mathoms and 3 of the spirit book. It worked pretty well. If FoF is at the bottom of the deck, well, it's still mono-spirit and you'll be fine. It's just more fun if you can use FoF, dwarven tomb, and then the book. I also used 3 of Emery to burn faster.

#31 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

You would be missing 7 cards for the deck.

1 Northern Tracker
1 Test of Will
1 Hasty Stroke
2 Dwarven Tomb
2 Fortune of Fate

The first 3 cards can be replaced with an ally of your choice. Riddlemarks Finest is pretty good.

However, Dwarven Tomb and FoF are really tough to replace. You could probably get away without the 2 Tombs, but FoF is the foundation of getting Caldara working, and if there is only one in the deck it might never surface.

The best thing you could do is add 3 Ancient Mathom for more card draw, and hope you get FoF with it.

I'll probably just throw in a couple makeshift cards (light the beacons i suppose) for FoF since its so important to the deck. and yeah I can see myself getting by without 2 tombs.  

Thanks man

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#32 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Having played Tracker's deck I feel confident in saying that it won't work very well unless you proxy in 3X FoF and DT.  If there is such a thing as a combo deck in LOTR, this is it right now.  You need the right pieces to make it work.

#33 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

This is approximately the deck I used

http://community.fan...ara-based-deck/

and it worked pretty well, 3xFoF is not strictly necessary.

#34 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

This Caldara deck is doing well on the NM scenarios, It now has victories on PTM, JatA, THfG, and CAtC.

CatC NM was pretty cool. In many way's it is still similar to the normal mode, still need to quest lightly on stage 1, and if you do not put progress on the quest it gets 1 progress anyway. I managed to last 5 rounds before the 4 trolls entered the staging area. My threat was low enough so I was still able to bring one troll down at a time, and was able to have just enough damage to take each one out. I probably did the Caladra disappear reappear trick six times this scenario, and i had to have all three N. trackers, Elfhelm, Damrod, Glorfindel, and others to take down each troll, as well as enough questing power to keep the remaining trolls in the staging area. After all the trolls and minor trolls were cleared out. Rob and Bob and another non-unique troll hit the staging area, and my small army of spirit allies and heroes finished him off next round.

Pretty cool quest, probably got lucky on my first play through, still a long quest 12 rounds to complete, I think it's an improvement over normal mode. And Cadara gets another tough quest under her belt.

Unfortunately, NM AJtR will probably be hopeless for this deck. Not sure it is even worth trying.

What is the Nightmare change for HfG?  The Quest card itself I mean, similar to the progress token each round for Conflict.

#35 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

What is the Nightmare change for HfG?  The Quest card itself I mean, similar to the progress token each round for Conflict.

The major change is that clue objectives that you have not acquired get attached to mordor enemies at the end of refresh phase, and if 4 or more clue objectives are attached then you lose the game.

So far for solo play I have not found the change to be too difficult.

#36 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

FYI just beat Nightmare Dol Guldur with this.  Pretty lucky first draw, but power questing is the way to go for this quest.  Might have made a small mistake somewhere, and killed Nazgul right before Glorf had to take his last damage via the Shadow Key.  Give it a shot!

• Tracker1 likes this

#37 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

FYI just beat Nightmare Dol Guldur with this.  Pretty lucky first draw, but power questing is the way to go for this quest.  Might have made a small mistake somewhere, and killed Nazgul right before Glorf had to take his last damage via the Shadow Key.  Give it a shot!

Awesome! Nice work. Who was captured?

This deck really amazes me. I'm looking forward to how it does on VoI scenarios. It is kind of my go to deck on really tough scenarios right now.

#38 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Awesome! Nice work. Who was captured?

This deck really amazes me. I'm looking forward to how it does on VoI scenarios. It is kind of my go to deck on really tough scenarios right now.

Caldara captured, hard quest first phase, got her in on turn 2 or 3.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS