Simplifying Antagonist Creation/Management

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PencilBoy99

PencilBoy99

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

What methods, if any, do people use for creating and keeping straight antagonists (NPC's, monsters)? For example, 

(1) just record the 1's digit of their characteristics and only roll 1 die when attacking;

(2) list all of the traits and talents that mostly add a bonus, and simply raise the skill or characteristic to that level

#2 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Depends.

For the usual mooks, minions and scum i simply use the profiles from the Core Rulebook.

If they are supposed to be better i simply add a few points to the stats, wounds and maybe a few talents/skills.

Fo really 'unique' enemies i have no problem of whipping up a class-level char with appropriate stats and skills.

Currently i'm trying to make a sample collection of enemies ranging from the Core Rulebook over DotDG to Ascension and even add extras from Into the Storm (RT) and  Enemies of the Imperium (OW) in an Open Office document.

Lots to collect and write down.

• PencilBoy99 likes this

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#3 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

"Reappearing" antagonists/NPCs are (usually) recorded on 5x7 note cards- name, Characteristics, Movement, Wounds, Skills/Talents, Armour/AP, weapons are recorded on the front, while personality, mannerisms/foibles, preferred hangouts/style of clothing, "Achilles heel" and other "fluffy" bits are recorded on the back.

Cards are often updated. By way of example, the Auditors (Acolytes) had three "face-to-face" encounters with Myrchella Sinderfell, and she was dressed/equipped differently in each encounter. Similarly, her manservant (Warner) was first encountered wearing the stereotypical white glove butler attire, then (in the desert) he dressed like Steve Irwin in a pith helmet.

Even "mooks" and minions get recorded on "throw-away" cards- I like to think everyone has an objective in life, so even these adversaries get a once over through the imagination. As an example here, the Auditors' Inquisitor entered into a contract with a mercenary lodge, the Irascors, wherein she paid for their services as hired guns/muscle and agreed to pay any wergeld to secure their safe return should they be captured- these guys were essentially Goliaths, but they had quite a bit of personality, and the Players actually came to view these "minor" NPCs as full-fledged members of their cell.

• PencilBoy99 likes this

=][=

#4 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:21 AM

Agreed on the latter. "Contacts" rules from the Inquisitor's handbook are priceless for mid-to-low level acolytes stationed on a given world; scintilla is easily big enough to accomodate all but the most outre adventures, but the PC's team of friends and allies remain accessible - and their gaining contacts and enemies helps populate the world around them. It's also a massive help for a small group of low-level acolytes - being able to get access to a 'friend' who has forbidden lore (Archeotech)+20 or similar is useful when it's a difficult skill for even high level PCs to get. Of course, such an individual will want compensation for their time. Perhaps you can agree to owe them a favour?*

I'd agree with using the core book 70-80% of the time (albeit messing around with kit), but most 'dudes with nametags' get a bit of personal attention.

* This has come up in one of the campaigns I've GM-ed before. The players have learned: never, ever, EVER agree to owe the borderline Heretek a favour without getting details first.

#5 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

Depends.

For the usual mooks, minions and scum i simply use the profiles from the Core Rulebook.

If they are supposed to be better i simply add a few points to the stats, wounds and maybe a few talents/skills.

Fo really 'unique' enemies i have no problem of whipping up a class-level char with appropriate stats and skills.

Currently i'm trying to make a sample collection of enemies ranging from the Core Rulebook over DotDG to Ascension and even add extras from Into the Storm (RT) and  Enemies of the Imperium (OW) in an Open Office document.

Lots to collect and write down.

Pretty much like this, although I will whip up some stats for most types of mooks as well, but these are based on the ones in the core book.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS