Ever want to fly a planet

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

The problem is how you are going to move it around by human means.

And by human means I mean Warp Travel (not Webway).

Think of the huge warp tentacle-thing creatures it would attract. In comparison, voidships are tremendously small in comparison to a Moon and they are completely f-up when they (even small as they are) attract those monsters.

Those things ignore geller fields for the most part being able to deal massive damage even with gellers active. You'd need massive, MASSIVE macro-batteries to be able to push those back while in warp transit.

Also, have in mind that you don't have also a mobile sun while in the warp or when moving to the jump point.

The temperature changes on the planet's surface would cause huge storms and make life impossible without void shields and life-support systems.

So, what's the use of having a mobile planetoid if you will have to basically mount voidships on it anyway everytime you want to expand your base?

I'd much rather invest on having a large fleet. Which will call much less attention from warp "gargants" while being way more flexible.

The reason to have one is the same reason that made me skip the original question: it's space volume is practically game-breaking.

Why get cruiser if you can get a pair of raiders?

Think about warp-capable hive/forge/shrine world it'd be worth of investing massive amounts into voidshields and gellar fields. It's basically battleship going 11 - Human made craftworld indeed.

You won't need massive macrocannons as you can have them is massive amounts - limitless almost.

Life on the surface will be impossible and/or unpractical, but hey - how much space volume you've got under surface?

#22 Sebastian Yorke

Sebastian Yorke

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

Gravitational variances caused by nearby planetary bodies or stars would probably also cause massive quakes and volcanos to erupt.

Depends a lot on the planet's characteristics though... Anyone remember how the Grey Knights were created?

Titan (a moon) was thrown in the warp to hide it from Horus' fleet, it had loads of geller fields attached to it.

RT Wannabe Shipwright & Frustrated GM

#23 WilliamAsher

WilliamAsher

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

If you mean the Gaelan Sphere, it allready has all the systems to handle such things.  It was made to do so.  Those systems would need repaired, and that is where the massive campaign to repair it comes in.

#24 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:48 AM

Reading all the posts in this topic gave me a general idea for a campagn that might give you the oppertunity if you had your heart set on it.

Ok so say that there's a moon orbiting an Ork world in the Undred Undred Teef region, and the moon is itself a fully Orkified world ruled by a Warboss/Mechboy who does alot of the Ork shipbuilding for all the Freebooterz. So say he gets it in his head he wants to build "da biggest an ardest rok evah and 'ave me own WAAAGH" so he spends decades coverting his moon into a gigantic excessively ambitious void craft even as Orky tech goes with warp travel capibility and everything.

So he flies the thing accross the expanse and into the passage with the intention of launching his Waagh on the Calixis Sector, but the thing is way too stupidly huge especially at points where where the passage is narrow or excessively turbulant so they run into trouble. Still makes it though and the thing pops back into realspace just outside of the Rubicon system but by now it's had tons of incursions and the surface is littered with groups of demons that the orks living on it are now engaged in a chatoic global war with and it's systems have been damaged so it's flying erraticly around the system throwing small craft full of boys at Port Wander whenever it gets anywhere close smashing through the asteroid field making things fly everywhere.

So of course the Navy at Port wander is freaking out calling for help from everyone in the area and that's where the players come in, having been in the area as the situation began now they must somehow work to resolve the situation with the added complication/help of other RTs in the area with their own ideas.

#25 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:59 AM

Well... wouldn't the defensive turrets of Port Wander largely invalidate any small craft attack? As for the moon itself, sustained bombardment from all the navy ships around port wander should take care of it fairly quickly, no? It can't have more than a few thousand hull points, right?

If I were you, I might add a fleet of Orkish ships to the mix, too busy trying to put out the fires on the moon itself to mount a concerted attack, but still there to give the attackers a bit more variation. It would certainly give players with a large fleet a chance to stretch their space-legs.

The Magos says he has no crude emotions to control

Just an iron fist, an iron will and an iron-banded soul

#26 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

Well we're talking about a moon's worth of boarding action here, but yeah depending on the group and on the level of ship combat you want to deal with by all means throw some Kroozers in there too.

#27 professor_kylan

professor_kylan

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Let's look at this in a slightly different way.A moon flying around with engines on it is undoubtedly badass. How abotu this as an endeavour?

The Amaranthine Engine

Minor endeavour

+3 PF

The Inquisition has recently lead a war of extermination against the Amaranthine syndicate, a crime organisation made up of multiple xenos species. The war was a simple and fast one, but as the last amaranthine stronghold was destroyed, their leader activated their last doomsday weapon - one of their homeworld's moons. Designated Haephastia by the Ordo Xenos, the moon has been fitted with Fra'al gravitic drives, layers of tectonically reinforcing void shields, and automated defences. The warp shock of the Haephastia entering the immaterium created a storm that has left the inquisitiorial forces stranded, but the ranking inquisitor on site, Inquisitor Marios Fel, has managed to get a message out to all free captains, warning them of the rogue moon, offering a hefty reward for destroying it.

Objective 1: Locate the Haephastia
Themes: Exploration

Finding the rogue moon may be the hardest challenge of all. As it travels through the warp, it leaves a storm behind it that can be tracked by skilled navigators. The disturbances as it flies near systems can be felt by all, leading to nightmares and riots on inhabited worlds which could also used to chart a path.

Objective 2: Boarding the Beast
Themes: None

To the horror of all imperial subjects, the Haephastia is on a direct course to collide with [insert name of favoured local Hive world here], an event that would easily kill twenty billion loyal members of the imperium and cripple manufacturing for the Imperial Guard and Navy. By the time it translates, it will be far too late to stop it, the only chance will be to dare a risky warp-docking. This will require the navigator to perform the most difficult act of navigation in their career, negotiating the wake of the Haephastia. The ship will be suffering, requiring the agents of the mechanicum to sooth the tortured vessel. The captain must hold the crew's morale during this most dangerous of actions, and all hands will need to work as hard as they ever have to hold the ship and her people together long enough for this to work.

Objective 3: Kill her.
Themes: Military, Criminal

The geller fields merged, your vessel has docked on one of the thousands of towers dotting the surface of the moon-weapon. All that is now required of you is to explore the heart of the machine, fighting off the heretical thinking machines that patrol and defend it, find its reactor core heart, set it to explode, run back to the ship and fly away with an explosion happening behind you that you won't look at. If a cargo hold worth of xenos trinkets happen to make their way aboard, destined for the black market...  

• Vandegraffe, CaptainRemiVandigrath, Sebastian Yorke and 1 other like this

#28 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

An interesting, crazy endeavor ;)  Now, if only they could've pointed it at a Crone World, or some other Chaos asset...

#29 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:03 AM

If you mean the Gaelan Sphere, it allready has all the systems to handle such things.  It was made to do so.  Those systems would need repaired, and that is where the massive campaign to repair it comes in.

Speaking of the Gaelan Sphere, I rechecked my copy of Soul Reaver.  The exact size isn't explicitly mentioned, though the interior chamber with the fusion core is "hundreds" of kilometers down.  It was built on / into an asteroid, and it seems most of the chambers, construction, and whatnot are still on the surface.  Even so, the surface area is on a par with a mid-size country. (I ran the numbers assuming 300 km radius and got a surface area halfway between France and Australia.)   So, it's pretty dang big.  There's nothing like a drive system mentioned anywhere in the Gazetteer, but the backstory implies that monstrosity HAS to be mobile somehow.  Also, please note the surface is exposed to the void - it has no atmosphere.  And yes, I can see why you'd want such a thing.  Having your own Death Star / Dahak / Skylark of Valeron is just COOL.  And in 40K the rule of cool beats everything.  :D

Oh, please note the Necrons DID fly an actual planet, if the fluff in the most recent tabletop codex is to be believed.  Of course, that codex was written by Mat Ward, so I'm sure some of you will take that with a grain of salt...

Cheers,

- V.

#30 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

Oh, please note the Necrons DID fly an actual planet, if the fluff in the most recent tabletop codex is to be believed.

Well their Tomb Worlds are pretty much all mechanized anyways.  So if someone was able to do it, might as well be the Necrons because they are the oldest beings in WH40k.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#31 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

One way to go about this would be to enclose a planet (or a moon) fully. Keep it grav-stable, floating in the middle of a massive sphere, and place one helluva fusion reactor to provide solar power and heat to the planet at its appropriate intervals.

Think of it as an Arboretum for the next level of void ships. It's something I think humans would attempt in the Dark Age of Technology for sure. Now, we're taking that is as big as a world, that'll need immense layers of Gellar fields to keep it safe in the Warp. 

That thing must shine like a planet-sized mega-diamond in the Warp though. And who can actually steer a planet? I say limit it to 2-4 lightyear jumps.

You'll need a massive source of energy to negate this thing's gravity too. I mean, things will literally try to orbit this, making navigation in realspace quite a hazard.

Still, I love the idea of a "Warp Moon" that flew off into the void a la Space 1999. But that would be one massive Space Hulk really than a true World Ship.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

#32 WeedyGrot

WeedyGrot

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

I remember reading a story about an Ork moon that was converted to a rok and it took a combined show of force from both the Eldar and the Imperium to stop it but I can't find it any more. I think it was on the Lexicanum and I found it by randomly clicking links.

Instead have a Deff Star

Huh for some reason I can't use the image tags here so I'll include the link instead.

http://s4.photobucke...327571535981128

And now I found it: The Rok of Ages

http://wh40k.lexican...iki/Rok_of_Ages

Edited by WeedyGrot, 10 February 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#33 CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Necron Tombworld Designate - Unicron is disturbed with your collective lack of faith. :P

• Erathia and Wincent like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS